Hip Street - The Nova - (HS-7DTB1-4GB) Android Tablet

chips99

Dec 6, 2011
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and to Android Tablets. I was looking for an inexpensive model that could still be useful and
do the basic functions (web/email/games/etc). I picked up this Nova model and in the short while I've been using it,
it does look good but I do have two problems.

1) The battery only last about 2 hours and it takes about 4 hours to charge. I was expecting about 5 hours or more
but the manual don't say what to expect except it takes 4 hours to charge.

2) The manual don't explain the many options or features it has or it's wrong. example: It says the led is red when charging
and goes off when charged but it really goes red when charging and green when charged.

Also, I can't find very much on the web about this model, like reviews, etc. It looks like a quality model and it does have a
capacitive TFT LCD screen, when most cheaper models have a resistive screen.

I have the details I can find listed below but I would like to find a good review on this model, and if it's sold under another
brand and how can I extend the battery life? The manual list it as a iMAP 210 @ 1GHZ CPU, 4 GB NAND flash, 512 DDRII,
800X480 capacitive dual touch panel, 4500 mAh Li-Polymer battery and android 2.2 froyo (V2.6) OS

Hip Street® 7'' Deluxe Wi-Fi HD Touch Screen Multimedia Tablet - Sears | Sears Canada

Hip Street NOVA - 7" Deluxe Wi-Fi Touch Screen Multimedia Tablet - Hipstreet

What do you think of this tablet as an inexpensive model and how does it compare to others in it's price range? What's the best area in the forum to post
for this model, it's not listed here.

Parry

Apr 8, 2012
Hi. I am not at all impreesed with this device. It comes with SlideMe Market and there are none of the Apps in there that I want. Not oven Skype or You Tube. I tried installing Google Play Store and it does not work on it. Battery does not last long enough and display and speed sucks.

ftanl

Dec 8, 2010
Hi. I am not at all impreesed with this device. It comes with SlideMe Market and there are none of the Apps in there that I want. Not oven Skype or You Tube. I tried installing Google Play Store and it does not work on it. Battery does not last long enough and display and speed sucks.

Yeah, I would have to agree! The tablet sucks, Hipstreet support sucks..Not worth half the price they charge..

Battery went dead last night, so I put it on charge & now the darn thing won't boot up.. Actually, I think it boots up, but all I see is a black screen.. The Sound is working, so it must be booting the OS.

I tried pressing the Volume + the Power buttons to reset the device, it starts to flash factory with the little android dude & progress bar, but stops about 30% through & gives me the error with !

Does anyone know where to find factory firmware? or any firmware for that matter. It's the HS-7DTB2-4GB Nova 2

Based on the lack of info online, I'm guessing I'll be waiting awhile for some tips or leads.. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

ftanl

Dec 8, 2010
Yeah, I would have to agree! The tablet sucks, Hipstreet support sucks..Not worth half the price they charge..

Battery went dead last night, so I put it on charge & now the darn thing won't boot up.. Actually, I think it boots up, but all I see is a black screen.. The Sound is working, so it must be booting the OS.

I tried pressing the Volume + the Power buttons to reset the device, it starts to flash factory with the little android dude & progress bar, but stops about 30% through & gives me the error with !

Does anyone know where to find factory firmware? or any firmware for that matter. It's the HS-7DTB2-4GB Nova 2

Based on the lack of info online, I'm guessing I'll be waiting awhile for some tips or leads.. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Does anyone know where to find a suitable firmware.. Specs below.

It has an A10 1.5ghz (cortex A8 ,3D Accelerate) CPU??
Running OS. Android 2.3.4
Flash Memory 4GB
System memory DDR3 512MB
Display 800x480
Capacitive Multi Touch display.

Hip Street supports sucks! So I would like to try flashing another firmware..

Any input would be good..

Last edited:

larry10

Jul 6, 2012
Hi:
I saw this post and I am just wondering if you had any luck.
I tried and installed Android 4 to a netbook successfully.
But the Android version was not written for the netbook. The USB port doesn't work and the screen became very dim.
You will have to find out where you can download a newer Android version that is compatible with your NOVA.
Otherwise, don't try it. Unless you are capable to switch it back to the original Android OS in your NOVA.

usama_92

Jul 8, 2012
I have A Hipstreet Nova, i recently did factory reset to it, and now when it starts the touch screen doesn't work. please help. Its stuck on lockscreen.

michelleh

Oct 10, 2012
Has anyone had any luck resetting their tablets ? I have the Vektor, on the back of the tablet it says Hipstreet HS-7DTB3-4GB. When I boot it up I see the Hipstreet logo screen then in white text is see ANDROID then another screen with ANDROID, I'm assuming its the splash screen that preceeds the boot screen (i've never even see this boot up) the tablet halts on this screen, I'm not sure it is freezing because the animation that lights up the word android in a wave fashion (similiar to the windows boot screen) continues on, but I never get past this screen.
If anyone has any suggestions or could point me to more reading on this product I would appreciate it.

Devro

Nov 7, 2012
I have the Vektor as well. I've been trying to find info on how to upgrade this thing to ICS, but am finding VERY little info on it at all. I did discover it is an Infotmic-based tablet, and figured out how to get it to connect to IUW, but I now need a firmware image. It isn't listed in Infotmic update images thread, and does not want to give up its hwver either.

Is there anyone out there that knows more about these things?

antosan

May 22, 2012
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and to Android Tablets. I was looking for an inexpensive model that could still be useful and
do the basic functions (web/email/games/etc). I picked up this Nova model and in the short while I've been using it,
it does look good but I do have two problems.

1) The battery only last about 2 hours and it takes about 4 hours to charge. I was expecting about 5 hours or more
but the manual don't say what to expect except it takes 4 hours to charge.

2) The manual don't explain the many options or features it has or it's wrong. example: It says the led is red when charging
and goes off when charged but it really goes red when charging and green when charged.

Also, I can't find very much on the web about this model, like reviews, etc. It looks like a quality model and it does have a
capacitive TFT LCD screen, when most cheaper models have a resistive screen.

I have the details I can find listed below but I would like to find a good review on this model, and if it's sold under another
brand and how can I extend the battery life? The manual list it as a iMAP 210 @ 1GHZ CPU, 4 GB NAND flash, 512 DDRII,
800X480 capacitive dual touch panel, 4500 mAh Li-Polymer battery and android 2.2 froyo (V2.6) OS

Hip Street® 7'' Deluxe Wi-Fi HD Touch Screen Multimedia Tablet - Sears | Sears Canada

Hip Street NOVA - 7" Deluxe Wi-Fi Touch Screen Multimedia Tablet - Hipstreet

What do you think of this tablet as an inexpensive model and how does it compare to others in it's price range? What's the best area in the forum to post
for this model, it's not listed here.

I had both , and both are no good.Go for the new Samsung 7" android tablet.

smasher

Dec 27, 2013
I had both , and both are no good.Go for the new Samsung 7" android tablet.

the only good thing about the nova 4 is the hdmi abillity the picture is very clear on a tv better then my galaxy tab 3 8 inch but its not a good tab no support the and the opperating system crashes and its really slow if you have tones of pasience its ok