Honeycomb Downgraded to Gingerbread

Elitewolf135

Sep 10, 2012
Hello everyone. I hope everyone is having a fine evening.
Today I've gotten to the point where I just cannot stand the on-screen buttons on the honeycomb update. I decided to start tinkering to downgrade to the Gingerbread update (non-root, unfortunately). I've made progress and have a somewhat working Gingerbread downgrade completed. Oddly (and this may be a good thing), the Vizio update service does not work. So it's not nagging me to update to honeycomb. As soon as I get a better functional launcher (since I'm using my honeycomb one), I'll post further news. The reason the honeycomb launcher that I've installed is still there, is because I used the update.zip that someone posted here in the tutorial to unbrick the tablet.

I attached a picture of the tablet so you know I'm not kidding. I'm going to work on getting this working so we have a downgrade guide going soon. Let's hope for the best.

$DSCN3105e.JPG

~Elitewolf135

*UPDATE #1*

I decided to do a factory reset, considering how I'm too lazy to fix the launcher issue. We get the original setup wizard we all miss and love!
$DSCN3106e.JPG

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Awesome job Elitewolf135! I'm looking forward to hearing about further progress and I am sure others are too :)

Elitewolf135

Sep 10, 2012
Thanks J515OP! I'm glad to report that WiFi works!
$DSCN3107e.JPG
And onto an odd problem that's good for us gingerbread users. It appears the update service is giving a weird error. I'm not going to hit try again because I'd like to stay with gingerbread.
$DSCN3108e.JPG

Regardless, I've tested all functions on my vTab1008. The procedure worked flawlessly. Everything works like it did out of the box (except the updater).