Honeycomb on 101?

hru

May 10, 2011
Is it true that honey comb requires more ram than is available to the 101? if so is there a work around for the internal storage to be used as a substitute?

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
Officially there are no hardware "requirements " for honeycomb... the bigger issue with honeycomb on our tablets is the locked boot loader... if a rom is developed it'll be implimented via the SDE firmware... and as far as mem issues.. I've used a swap file on the SD card to increase performance...

Last edited:

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Officially the word is "No Word about Honeycomb" swould333 is spot on. You can either go to a community build mods, or continue using the default factory builds. Even the latest is only a Froyo 2.2.2

hru

May 10, 2011
thanks for the reply guys. So an archos 101 would not be a bad investment? it will cost me 315. is there a nether tablet in that range that may be a bettor choice? archos looks solid but I'm not sure of the user experience.
are any one of the community mods running honeycomb well?

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
The question, I would ask is not whether it can do honeycomb, but rather these questions before you purchase.
1. How soon/anxious are you to buy? If you can wait a bit, the Gen9 Archos are just around the corner. This will cause the Archos 101 price point to drop. That 315 may be 225 come July/August. The Gen 9 will be a bit more upscale and pricier (read closer to 400-600) but will have 3.1 and similar to the wide Gen8 offering
2. What will you really be doing with it. I watch movies, play Angry Birds, Listen to Web Radio, E-Read, on demand Map, and take notes as I need. I am happy. But know I will likely get the itch to get a Gen 9 by end of Summer
3. How long will you keep it? I personally would refer back to question one on this one. I am a keeper. I still have some of my old Archos PMPs. My 101 will likely be my bed companion, much to my wife's frustration after I get my Gen 9. But if you plan on keeping it longer than a year, I would once again wait. The Arnova 10 capacitive is a low end 101. and is selling for as low as 150. It really is outdated already, but has many of the Archos feature set
Do I sound Wishy-Washy on telling you to buy/not buy. I am. I like my Gen8 Archos, but know I will be moving on in a few months.

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
My opinion is to do your research.. I have the viewsonic gtablet (selling for $275- $300) and the A101.... each have there merrits... i like the A101 for the portability, VERY thin and lite yet the build does seem a tab "flexible" as in i feel like i might break.. it the conectivity is great... it is designed from the get go to be a multimedia machine I use the HDMI to play emulators on my tv or to stream movies from netflix or recorded video from youtube... the out of the box experience is a good one.. no need to tweak to make it a pleasureable user experience, but of course you're GONNA customize it... lots of accesories(skins/cases)... decent screen... the down side.. you're gonna pretty much be stuck with the firmware that Archos gives you... there are some developer builds out there that do over come some of the short comings that the device has like only having ~300Mb for app storage... but the hacking/develpment comunity hasn't jumped head log into this device as they have some others so the picking seem to slim.. and only 256Mb of ram, not a major encumbeance but you realy start seeing it when you play games on it..

As a "daily driver" i tend to use my Gtab more... duel core processor and double the memory... great deveolpment comunity lots of rom selections, including a honeycomb alpha that'ds looking VERY promising... 2 gigs app storage... Downers... heavier, about twice as heavy as A101... no HDMI unless you get an an aditional dock... you'll HAVE to hack the tablet to make even remotely an ejoyable expierence, plan on taking a full weekend to rom it and go through a few roms to decide the one you want...not very many accessories(cases/skins)... viewing angle is a little off, some complain but i guess i've gotten used to it...

Ulitmatly ask yourself what do you want and if it'll meet your needs... do you want an "out of the box" user experience, or do you mind hacking/modding to make the tablet waht you wannt.. or is modding something that makes the device more appealing... and consider that for another $100 you can get an Asus Transfomer that has even higher specs than either of the 2 ... an amazing screen...built in gps and Honeycomb with, from what i'm reading, a nice user experience out of the box.. that is IF you can find one.. they're selling out as soon as they hit the stores/web... walmart had both the 32 and 16 Gb models yesterday for less than an hr before they sold out

beastman

May 8, 2011
I'd recommend a viewsonic gtab, but the first thing you need todowhenyou get it is to root it so you can fix viewsonic software mistakes. I suggest cm 7 ..

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

hru

May 10, 2011
thx for all your replies.
i went to office depot and got the gtab. its nice as is with 3588 update, so if the honeycomb rom makes it better thats great? i feel i should have waited though since im sure its due for a price drop.

would you guys know if it is advisable to use the gtab while its charging? or should i wait?

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
you can get the gtab on ebay right now via the tigerdirect ebay store for $275... not sure how much you paid... and dude seriously if you like tap and tap ver 3588.. you'll LOVE cyanogen mod on this thing.. that's what i have on mine... come on over to the viewsonic thread and introduce yourself... glad to have you..lol

edit:... the sale on gtab must have ended i just checked and they're at $299 again.. sorry for jumping the gun.. :(

Last edited: