HONEYCOMB on its WAY

bjgrig

Jan 25, 2012
Vizio is starting to Roll-Out HoneyComb....you'll get it when your Serial# comes up (mind is TFCILAA........761) haven't got it yet but according to Tech we should all get it soon.

Do you know of anyone that has gotten the update? I was told last week by a Vizio rep that they were shooting to release it this week... I won't be convinced until I hear a first-hand account (or get the update myself!)

Blwnv8

Dec 19, 2011
So what kind of changes can we expect when the update comes? What might that mean for us that have rooted out vtab? I'm sure it won't change the factory view that vizio has put on top of android.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

bjgrig

Jan 25, 2012
So what kind of changes can we expect when the update comes? What might that mean for us that have rooted out vtab? I'm sure it won't change the factory view that vizio has put on top of android.

Not exactly sure what it would mean as far as rooting... Most likely there will have to be a new root procedure (if it's even do-able). If it is in fact Honeycomb, it will be a different OS so there may be more compatibilty with tablet specific apps (such as gotomypc/american express etc..). I'm assuming the hulu+ fucntionality will still be intact (one should hope so as it's a major differentiator). And you can almost bet that the launcher will be the same Vizio spin. My concern is that it may negatively impact performance as Honecomb is pretty resource intensive and it's only a single-core processor. Let's hope (if it does actually get released) that Vizio did a LOT of testing on this.

I'd love for native Bluetooth HID support too!

kaos420

Jan 27, 2012
get me the update file if it comes. i could rip it apart and possibly make it updatable through cwm recovery for those of us who are rooted. waiting on my tab to show on tuesday before i get into it. but its a refurb so im pretty sure it will be non updated and rootable. if so first tihing im doing is a rom dump.

Dec 20, 2011
get me the update file if it comes. i could rip it apart and possibly make it updatable through cwm recovery for those of us who are rooted. waiting on my tab to show on tuesday before i get into it. but its a refurb so im pretty sure it will be non updated and rootable. if so first tihing im doing is a rom dump.

I'm still learning how do you do a rom dump and what do you do with it

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

kaos420

Jan 27, 2012
I'm still learning how do you do a rom dump and what do you do with it

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
you need java sdk and sdk android files. basically it will take a backup of the rom off the device. my goal is when it arrives to hopefully have the rootable version. if so i will root install recovery backup . then attempt to do a rom dump. would help people who updated to the no rootable version to possibly roll back so to speak to the rootable version. if honeycomb drops and i can get my hands in the update. i also maybe able to build a rom off of it it from the device. i make roms for a few devices . but this will be my first adventure in to a tablet. but if i can root i plan on upping the bar so to speak. i already talked to a friend about possibly doing a kernel as well if i can dump it. not saying who right now but hes a well kown kernel dev.

Tcsviz77

Sep 3, 2011
Sooooo hope this is true. Ever since the last update I lost root and have had some issues with wifi connection not staying connected. Maybe this update will fix some of the issues that the vtab has. Cant wait.

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

kaos420

Jan 27, 2012
[h=3]so i decided to ask vizio when lol

Chat[/h]

chat_agent.png
Gil (Listening)

chat_agent.png
Gil: Thank you for contacting VIZIO Live Chat, the home of Entertainment Freedom for All. This is Gil in South Dakota. Have you ever contacted us before?
chat_enduser_message.png
matt: no. i really just have a question for you
chat_agent.png
Gil: I understand your'e wondering if the firmware on this tablet is going to be upgraded?
chat_enduser_message.png
matt: i just bought a VIZIO VTAB1008-B that is coming tuesday. i have been searching the web about it and see rumors or a honeycomb oe ics update. and
chat_enduser_message.png
matt: yes
chat_enduser_message.png
matt: to honeycomb or ics?
chat_agent.png
Gil: Here at VIZIO we pride ourselves in providing best in class customer support and all of our support is U.S. based, and I can assist you with that. We are planning an upgrade to honeycomb in the near future. A specific date hasn't been set, but we are in the final stages of testing it.
chat_enduser_message.png
matt: so no set quarter?
chat_agent.png
Gil: Not yet.
chat_enduser_message.png
matt: do you know if the honeycomb update will fix the sd card issue? of not accessing the card to move apps?
chat_enduser_message.png
matt: from what i see only complaint on the web about the tablet
chat_enduser_message.png
matt: i bought a 16gb sd for it would like to move apps like my phone can
chat_agent.png
Gil: It's being looked at, but I don't know just yet if that's going to be something added in this update
chat_enduser_message.png
matt: ok as long as your aware and hopefully a solution is reached.
chat_enduser_message.png
matt: i thank you for your time
chat_agent.png
Gil: Is there anything else that I can assist you with today?
chat_enduser_message.png
matt: no thank you
chat_agent.png
Gil: Thank you for contacting VIZIO Chat Support! If you need our assistance again in the future you can contact us by Chat, Email, and Phone service. That information is found on
chat_hyperlink.png
http://www.vizio.com. Have a great day!

bjgrig

Jan 25, 2012
It seems that there won't ever be a release date given from support until they actually release the update. Its nice that they're willing to talk about it.... but I won't be convinced of anything until it's released.

Sent from my MB865 using Android Tablet Forum

FanNo301

Oct 15, 2011
Prolly in beta with some people. Do we get a safe Vizio ver, so we don't hurt ourselves!?!

Blwnv8

Dec 19, 2011
Not exactly sure what it would mean as far as rooting... Most likely there will have to be a new root procedure (if it's even do-able). If it is in fact Honeycomb, it will be a different OS so there may be more compatibilty with tablet specific apps (such as gotomypc/american express etc..). I'm assuming the hulu+ fucntionality will still be intact (one should hope so as it's a major differentiator). And you can almost bet that the launcher will be the same Vizio spin. My concern is that it may negatively impact performance as Honecomb is pretty resource intensive and it's only a single-core processor. Let's hope (if it does actually get released) that Vizio did a LOT of testing on this.

I'd love for native Bluetooth HID support too!

As far as root goes I was referring to if us users that have rooted our vtabs if we'll be able to take part in the update. If the upgrade is worth doing even. I rooted b/c I couldn't take the update popups and wanted to try to fix the sd card issue. I've yet to attempt that, don't want to screw anything up. Not so concerned bout rooting unless they can't fix the sd issue with the honeycomb update. Hopefully someone will get it soon. Like to see what all the fuss is about. Might just keep my rooted vtab how it is, wait for ics maybe.