Honeycomb Usability Questions

Massivebasset

Apr 26, 2011
My wife's netbook is dying, and I was wondering about the feasibility of replacing it with the new ASUS Transformer. We both have android phones and I am well aware of their capabilities, but as far as the tablet would go, I have no experience.

Mainly, we host our files on a NAS. Is Honeycomb any better with its file sharing than Gingerbread? Ideally I would like to be able to have a folder in my NAS show up like any other folder on the tablet. If I could do that, then she could access her music, pictures, etc just how she is accustomed to doing it now. I'm not looking for any goofy cloud hosting option like DropBox or the like. I'm talking about 60 gigs worth of files that she will want to be able to access to play music, organize folders, etc.

sfletcher

Apr 29, 2011
I'm pretty new to the Honeycomb scene as I've had my Acer A500 only 5 days, but.. as I see it you can use a file manager from the market to view, launch and manipulate files and folders on the network. I have done this. The catch is that the file managers that I have seen all treat the network as a separate area and it isn't integrated into a single view with local folders.

Basically I choose "Network" or "SMB" in the file manager and I can view my windows network folders and manipulate them from the A500. I can also choose "Local" or "SD" and see the A500 file structure but I can't view both at once.

For music, pictures and movies, the A500 and the ASUS transformer both include DLNA support so I just shared those file types in windows and they are all accessible through streaming. Unfortunately none of my videos are in a format that the A500 can display properly with DLNA.

piercer

May 2, 2011
I'm thinking on buying some web space to protect my data. I'm really afraid of hard drive exodus :D Do you have any experience with saving data in the web? Do I need a domain too or can I just buy web space? I found this web hosting site? Are they good? Thanks a lot.