Honeycream to Alpha 2

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Ah, great to hear you've taken the plunge!

And I think I've decoded what roebeet meant:

[ROM] Honeycomb for GTAB 1.2-based firmware - [G-TABLET\ZPAD T2] - SlateDroid.com

Updated to Adam u13, moved Books, Maps, Street to /data (won't install with cwm, keep in mind).
Means "when you install the ROM with CWM, Books, Maps, and Street are not included (they won't install)."

If you are using cwm, you can sideload the data apps later or get them from the Market.
Means "if you use CWM to install the ROM, just go to the Market after installation to get those apps."

Hindsight is 20/20!

Hope you're enjoying it. :)

-Matt

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Thought would give it a try. I was at Vegan GingerEd. Started nvflashing twice with original bekit. The tablet would just bootloop'ed with the tap'n'tap logo then turn black. Tried the 3rd time with Roebeet's images. Same thing. Tried the 4th time after removing the external sd card. Same thing. Shoot.

Heard that Verizon is selling ipad1 64gb wifi for $399. Went and got one.

Back to messing around with the beast. LOL

Dave,

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Hah ! Lesson learned.
I booted into recovery, and was surprising that CWM was still there. So I did wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache partition, wipe dalvik cache, and started nvflash'ing again. And saw your advice. Thanks for your concern Stephen.
This time, nvflash'ing went thru smoothly with stock 1.0-2638. Then it is upgrading to stock 1.1.3588 now.

Stock 1.1.3588 is running now.

Time for the sweet honey.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Just remember not to skip any steps, and no recovery for the jump to 1.2. Install the recovery after you go to 4349.

Sent from my GTablet-HC using Android Tablet Forum

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Thought would give it a try. I was at Vegan GingerEd. Started nvflashing twice with original bekit. The tablet would just bootloop'ed with the tap'n'tap logo then turn black. Tried the 3rd time with Roebeet's images. Same thing. Tried the 4th time after removing the external sd card. Same thing. Shoot.

Heard that Verizon is selling ipad1 64gb wifi for $399. Went and got one.

Back to messing around with the beast. LOL

Dave,
Dave, I may put you on "silent treatment" for getting that iPad (mostly jealous). You can redeem yourself by getting HC worked out! Keep us posted.

-Matt

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Still at stock 3588, connected to PC and copied BOS' '2.3' recovery folder & update.zip to tablet.
Power off and boot into recovery.
BOS loaded up within a minute.

No freezing or FC as yet.
Went to market and downloaded es file manager just to see if market worked. It did.

But WHY everything is too small !
Will need a magnifier first thing in the morning. LOL.

Dave

P.S.
Peter, just saw your note. Thanks for the concern.
Matt, no 'silent treatment', LOL. Wife was told that I needed an ipad to support my daughter's. The darn thing is smooth but is hard to get freebie's on. Thanks for your concern. Since I can't see the tiny pictures and icons, guessed that I'd call it a night.

Best,

P.S.1.
Another lesson learned: After all that wipes and nvflash'ing, data on the internal sd card is still intact.

Last edited:

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Dave, remember you can go into /system/build.prop and bump the lcd density value. :) But if you enlarge the display, no guarantees it won't get all crazy-looking!

EDIT: and don't freak out...remember that now you're running an alpha, the USB connection doesn't work! If you want to copy over the next version of BoS, you'll have to find another way (e.g., ADB, flash drive, etc.).

-Matt

Last edited:

jeffc83

Jan 26, 2011
@Matt - Thanks for the info... I'll be taking the plunge tonight.

Sent from my Droid using Android Tablet Forum

Fendogz

Feb 3, 2011
Has anyone tried HBO Go on honeycream. I have it on the stock 4349 and it keeps FC. I use it on my Huawie S7 and it runs flawlessly.

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Matt, Peter, Fuganater, are you there ?
This baby from Roebeet, plus Clemsyn's Kernel, and Gojimi's VTL Launcher is not bad at all. In fact, it is a bit more than I'd expected. Last night I was a bit discouraged about the tiny (hi-res) and dark screen. Everything was hard to read. The first thing was to set the screen's brightness from automatic to manual and it helped.

Most of the apps are working, including book reading, video streaming, youtube, market, games, etc . . .
But there seemed to have a problem. After power off, and power back on, it stays at 'android' logo forever. I just turned it off, and wait for a new release and flash on top of it. Wonder is this is an isolated case.

Here are some screenshots:

gTablet.HoneyComb.AboutTablet.BOS2.3
2vmzu3q.jpg

gTablet.HoneyComb.VTL.BOS2.3
2uqgps9.jpg

gTablet.HoneyComb.AngryBird.BOS2.3
332awqs.jpg

gTablet.HoneyComb.SmartBench.BOS2.3
15zoyv.jpg

gTablet.HoneyComb.YouTube1.BOS2.3
2vjbmkl.jpg

Dave,

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Hey Dave!

I'm glad to see that the backlight issue was easy to solve. Yeah, for some reason "auto" brightness is rather dim. Since mine is mostly plugged in, I'm keeping it on 100%.

Honeycomb is really nice, isn't it? Love your screenshots (though it bugs me a bit that so many owners consider Angry Birds the critical test of a "working" ROM!). Why did you decide to dump the built-in launcher?

Your restart problem is really odd...kind of worries me. Is it a consistent issue?

-Matt