Honeycream to Alpha 2

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Darn, sorry...I haven't tried Skyfire yet. It *is* (or so I hear) a good work-around for flash-enabled websites. I normally use Dolphin HD, but so far I've had a good experience with the built-in browser in BoS, and in particular, load times seem decent.

BTW, are you getting full, blank pages? That does sound like something new. I'm kind of grasping at straws, but as always I'd suggest going into Android settings (not Skyfire) and clearing data/cache (sometimes the data folder is not removed when you uninstall).

EDIT: Yikes, I'm a mod!!! When did THAT happen? :p WOW, I have all kinds of new buttons and super powers ("go, web, go!"). Where is my spandex suit???

-Matt

Adelamarc

May 16, 2011
Hey Matt,
As far as I can tell, I'm getting the pages, just not the rendering. I cleared the data and the cache from settings and still no go. Something I forgot to mention is that I can't see the license agreement text at startup either. It may just be a problem with a 2.x build versus the 3.0. Hoe is the DolphinHD web browser? I was using Opera on 2.2 and it worked fine. Of course now I'm missing the flash sections. Hopefully we will have flash soon on 3.0.

Congrats at becoming a moderator! I've read many of your posts here and at slatedroid. You're definitely worthy of such distinction.

Sent from my Bottle of Smoke using Android Tablet Forum

Adelamarc

May 16, 2011
Quick update, I installed flash 10.3 from the marketplace and Miren. Just to check on things I went to a favorite site of mine and the area where the flash is is blank. It turns out that when I doubletapped the space, the video did pop up. I tried to repeat this and I at first only got sound, but a few double taps and I had the video. Miren is force closing a bit at the moment, but nothing terrible.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Hey Matt,
As far as I can tell, I'm getting the pages, just not the rendering. I cleared the data and the cache from settings and still no go. Something I forgot to mention is that I can't see the license agreement text at startup either. It may just be a problem with a 2.x build versus the 3.0. Hoe is the DolphinHD web browser? I was using Opera on 2.2 and it worked fine. Of course now I'm missing the flash sections. Hopefully we will have flash soon on 3.0.

Congrats at becoming a moderator! I've read many of your posts here and at slatedroid. You're definitely worthy of such distinction.

Since the revisions in BoS were coming pretty quickly at first, I actually held off on using Dolphin...even with my apps backed up on Titanium, reinstallation of all my apps was becoming a pain. I think I've also heard that it force closes on 3.x, but I haven't tried myself yet.

Thanks for the kind words. :) In real life I'm gifted at putting my foot in my mouth...at least as a mod I can always lock threads (or remove
them!) if I really mess up!

Oh, and what's Miren...ah, just checked, WOW it has great reviews.

-Matt

Last edited:

Adelamarc

May 16, 2011
Let me know if you try Miren. Mine likes to force close every other time I try to open it. It also doesn't like when I try to access bookmarks. Opera is still working the best for me. I have to say that BoS is excellent especially since its an alpha build. It'll be great to see what Roebeet and the gang do with this ROM in the near future.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Let me know if you try Miren. Mine likes to force close every other time I try to open it. It also doesn't like when I try to access bookmarks. Opera is still working the best for me. I have to say that BoS is excellent especially since its an alpha build. It'll be great to see what Roebeet and the gang do with this ROM in the near future.

It's a really nice browser....I need to play with it some more. I got it to load OK on multiple tries. But like you, it crashes on Bookmarks (Top Sites works OK though). It also crashed after viewing settings. Once BoS is farther along (beta?) I suspect a lot more apps will be more stable...every once in a while, I forget that it's alpha, and not really ready from prime time!

-Matt

Adelamarc

May 16, 2011
I checked out the built in browser with flash 10.3 installed on the same site as Miren and it works the same in regards to the flash with no force close. Guess I should have spent more time with the stock browser from the get go.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I checked out the built in browser with flash 10.3 installed on the same site as Miren and it works the same in regards to the flash with no force close. Guess I should have spent more time with the stock browser from the get go.

Ah, but I forgot to mention (don't laugh): the stock browser force closes when you view history! Bookmarks yes, history no.

Oooops, wow...just got my first soft reboot in days!

-Matt

Adelamarc

May 16, 2011
Lol, that's nice with the history.

Well as you can see from my forum tag, I swapped to brilliant corners. HC is really great, but I thought I'd try a few more roms. So far BC is really neat, just have to figure out how to swap out the bottom bar icons. Of course I soft bricked during the swap, thank goodness for NVFlash and Roebeets excellent directions. Course if I had followed the backout instructions I wouldn't have softbricked it..lol.

Really have to love the versatility of this tablet.

Sent from my Brilliant Corners using Android Tablet Forum

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Lol, that's nice with the history.

Well as you can see from my forum tag, I swapped to brilliant corners. HC is really great, but I thought I'd try a few more roms. So far BC is really neat, just have to figure out how to swap out the bottom bar icons. Of course I soft bricked during the swap, thank goodness for NVFlash and Roebeets excellent directions. Course if I had followed the backout instructions I wouldn't have softbricked it..lol.

Really have to love the versatility of this tablet.

Oh, I wished you hadn't switched! You're a bad influence...now I'm tempted... Well, we're going on our summer family trip in about 6 weeks. If opengl isn't figured out by then (I'm guessing no) then I'll downgrade to BC and join you!

-Matt

Adelamarc

May 16, 2011
Whoops, sorry Matt! Didn't mean to tempt you into swapping roms. :)

It'll be unbelievable when BoS has opengl working. I'm going to keep checking on the build and I'm sure I'll be flashing it again at some point.

rgc6789

Apr 8, 2011
Fyi for anyone running this rom. With a hint from elsewhere, I went and removed a few apps that I wasn't using and also removed the phone apk. Immediately on removal, I started receiving fcs so fast that as soon as I closed one the next popped up. I thought I'd messed something up. After about 30 times of hoping it would end, I was forced to reboot. I was a little stunned because I didn't think it would be in use.

Anyway, it rebooted and guess what? My wifi has been rock solid since. I can't say for sure if it was removing some of the other apps to free up memory or if it was removing the phone.apk, but I thought I'd put it up to see if anyone else could duplicate. Of course I made a backup of the apk in case.

Thanks to Jeff for leading toward reducing the memory load.

jeffc83

Jan 26, 2011
Fyi for anyone running this rom. With a hint from elsewhere, I went and removed a few apps that I wasn't using and also removed the phone apk. Immediately on removal, I started receiving fcs so fast that as soon as I closed one the next popped up. I thought I'd messed something up. After about 30 times of hoping it would end, I was forced to reboot. I was a little stunned because I didn't think it would be in use.

Anyway, it rebooted and guess what? My wifi has been rock solid since. I can't say for sure if it was removing some of the other apps to free up memory or if it was removing the phone.apk, but I thought I'd put it up to see if anyone else could duplicate. Of course I made a backup of the apk in case.

Thanks to Jeff for leading toward reducing the memory load.

Are you running bos 3.3? If so that is great news!! It's funny you tried that because I started disabling/freezing apps to free up more memory in bos 2.4. I'm wondering if disabling mobile data too would screw everything up or is just disabling the phone does the trick.

rgc6789

Apr 8, 2011
Are you running bos 3.3? If so that is great news!! It's funny you tried that because I started disabling/freezing apps to free up more memory in bos 2.4. I'm wondering if disabling mobile data too would screw everything up or is just disabling the phone does the trick.

I'm running 3.3. It definately stablilized the ROM a lot, though not 100%. In two days (20 hours or so) I had one soft boot which was definately an improvement. Prior to that I'd get one every 2-3 hours of use.

Jeffc83, it was your post under my thread for battery life that made me start removing apps. When I saw phone was in use, instead of disabling it, I removed it.

jeffc83

Jan 26, 2011
I'm running 3.3. It definately stablilized the ROM a lot, though not 100%. In two days (20 hours or so) I had one soft boot which was definately an improvement. Prior to that I'd get one every 2-3 hours of use.

Jeffc83, it was your post under my thread for battery life that made me start removing apps. When I saw phone was in use, instead of disabling it, I removed it.

Thanks for the information I will be going back to 3.3 tonight! For some reason I actually love the equalizer in 2.4 but will do without it because 3.3 was much faster. I will disable mobile data tonight and let you know how it goes. I'm hoping it doesn't knock out the wifi and will improve battery life a little bit more.