How can I install Google Play on my Coby Kyros MID8042?

arnelorecruz

Jul 26, 2012
I want to install Google Play on my Coby Kyros MID8042 but I don't know how to. This is my first time to have a tablet. It has a built in Apps downloader called Getjar but some of the apps that I want are not there. My colleagues got ONDA china android tablet and theirs have a built in Google Play. They have better applications compared to me. Please help me and give me step by step instructions on how to do it if it's possible. Thank you so much in advance. God bless!:)

JonsZX2SR

Jan 30, 2012
Halfway there. Installed some of the GAPPS files. Google Maps works. Having a problem setting up a Google account. Market doesn't work (yet.)

Natey2

May 25, 2012
Why doesn't Coby install GAPPS and Google Play, so that end-users won't have to try to do it themselves?

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Why doesn't Coby install GAPPS and Google Play, so that ewon't he to try to do it themselves?
Why don''t car dealers install after market stereos? Cause they aren't part of the package. Play store isn't part of coby package. You can install an after market stereo in your car and you can install play store on your coby tablet.
But neither business is going to do it for you.

Natey2

May 25, 2012
Why don''t car dealers install after market stereos? Cause they aren't part of the package. Play store isn't part of coby package. You can install an after market stereo in your car and you can install play store on your coby tablet.
But neither business is going to do it for you.

I'd say GetJar is the after-market stereo in the example above.
GAPPS and Google Play are from Google, who publish Android.
Coby runs Android, doesn't it? Or does it run CobyOS?

It's about time end-users compelled manufacturers to do what the end users rightfully want and what Google intended.
Or they'll be looking for hacks that neither Coby nor Google might want to support.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
You don't understand Linux (android) at all. You sound like apple or windows all apples and all windows are the same. Only Linux provides choice, so if end user doesn't like one android they can choose another one with more or less software installed. You want all android to be the same to me that destroys choice.
No way should a android company be forced or required to add or remove anything from their product, it is their product this isn't apple.

Natey2

May 25, 2012
Judging from this and other threads, I'd say Coby end-users would prefer Google Play over GetJar. And having Google Play pre-installed by Coby would not preclude Coby users from doing anything they can currently do, including using GetJar or Amazon Appstore.

This isn't about choice; it's about a manufacturer not listening to what it's user base wants, resulting in end-users hacking the device to get Google Play installed.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Judging from this and other threads, I'd say Coby end-users would prefer Google Play over GetJar. And having Google Play pre-installed by Coby would not preclude Coby users from doing anything they can currently do, including using GetJar or Amazon Appstore.

This isn't about choice; it's about manufacturenotlistening to what it's user base wants, resulting in end-users hacking the deviget Google Play installed.
No it's about choice coby chose not to include Google play store, That is cobys choice. I Choose to support their choice of not using Google play store. As you can see I own two cobys and completely support the company. You want to force them to use play store, though they choose not to yet you don't even own a coby.

Choice means any company can choice what goes in their product or doesn't go in their product. If coby was forced to do anything that eliminates their choice.

Last edited:

Natey2

May 25, 2012
No it's about choice coby chose not to include Google play store, That is cobys choice. I Choose to support their choice of not using Google play store. As you can see I own two cobys and completely support the company. You want to force them to use play store, though they choose not to yet you don't even own a coby.

Choice means any company can choice what goes in their product or doesn't go in their product. If coby was forced to do anything that eliminates their choice.

Strange, in http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39846
you said "... companies like Coby want all the benefits of open source they just don't want to contribute to or abide by open source just make money from it. " when explaining why Coby didn't pre-install what many consider to be standard Google Android stuff.

My criteria for a good tablet is at http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42653
So the Coby would not qualify.
I wonder how many Coby users knew before their purchase that they would eventually want Google Play but not have it pre-installed and have to hack their device to try to get it installed?

Google Play supported devices: http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1727131