How do I Easily Root a 7042-4 from windows [April 2013]

trycatchthis

Apr 20, 2013
I have been reading the posts in this forum for a few days trying to figure this out myself. So rather then spend the next 2 weeks trying to sort out this problem I have decided to ask for help.

There are many so called step by step guides to getting Android Marketplace and rooting the device on these forums. The problem is that there is always some missing step or some piece of information the person creating the post expects you to know that makes the task a whole lot more difficult than it should be.

Can anyone post a step by step guide to installing Google apps on a Coby Kryos 7042 and include working links to all the necessary software?

I am running either windows xp or windows vista.

Thank you.

trycatchthis

Apr 20, 2013
The reason I wanted to root the device was to get netflix and flash on it.

I found netflix, flash and firefox between 1mobile and slideme.

Between 2 of these appstores and getjar I have been able to get most of the apps I want. Amazon will not allow all international clients to download apps even free one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Perhaps it would be better to tell us where you're getting stuck. The rooting guide for your tablet is in the sticky posts in the Development subforum. It contains step by step procedures to get your tablet rooted and contains links to all the software you need to get the job done. It was also recently updated to address an issue owners of newer Generation 3 tablets are having, where the Play Store will not install on their tablets because the /system directory is filled to capacity (solution: remove some files from /system after rooting but before trying to install the Play Store).

Ronin90210

Aug 4, 2013
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but it is the same question that I have.

I have followed the steps from http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ead-first-development-index-root-utility.html

Unfortunately I can only temporarily root my tablet (till it reboots).

I followed the root steps 3 times, then tried to do a system dump. When trying to do the dump it only created an empty folder.
Thinking about it a bit, I followed the rooting steps up to the restart point which I didn't do. I have now created the dump file and copied it to my laptop, but sadly lose the root every time it restarts.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Many thanks,
Ronin.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but it is the same question that I have.

I have followed the steps from http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ead-first-development-index-root-utility.html

Unfortunately I can only temporarily root my tablet (till it reboots).

I followed the root steps 3 times, then tried to do a system dump. When trying to do the dump it only created an empty folder.
Thinking about it a bit, I followed the rooting steps up to the restart point which I didn't do. I have now created the dump file and copied it to my laptop, but sadly lose the root every time it restarts.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Many thanks,
Ronin.

There can be many reasons for these, on some coby tablets, they reset root on each boot, on those tablets the boot.img has to be modified, however you could have a newer version that has the nand secure locking. Can you upload your dump and post a link to it? When did you buy your 7042? does it run 4.0.3 or 4.0.4?

Last edited:

Ronin90210

Aug 4, 2013
Hi, running:
Model number MID7042
android 4.0.3
kernel 3.0.8
build number 20120409.181217

I didn't buy it, I was given it (previous owner upgraded), can't remember if was last year, or the beginning of this year.
Previous owner had it for at least 6 months, so think it was bought about August 2012

have uploaded the dump to speedy share

dump_ronin90210.zip - Speedy Share - upload your files here

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Hi, running:
Model number MID7042
android 4.0.3
kernel 3.0.8
build number 20120409.181217

I didn't buy it, I was given it (previous owner upgraded), can't remember if was last year, or the beginning of this year.
Previous owner had it for at least 6 months, so think it was bought about August 2012

have uploaded the dump to speedy share

dump_ronin90210.zip - Speedy Share - upload your files here

This dump is not complete your system.tgz is corrupt

I found the problem in your boot.img though see entry below, this entry on each boot disables root.

on boot
# su root
chmod 6750 /system/xbin/su

Ronin90210

Aug 4, 2013
ok, what do I do to fix it?
do I root it, then load a custom rom, or do I need to 'tweak' it?
and would you like me to have another go at the dump file?

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Below is your boot.img. just flash it via recovery.

7042_boot_Ronin_signed.zip

If you have adb setup I can give you commands to backup your system. if not you will have to ask Traveller1701 about the script it's his script, so he would be the one to figure out whats wrong, How much free space do you have on your sdcard?

Ronin90210

Aug 4, 2013
I have the cobyadb available from these forums, do I use the recovery option in that?
Backing up instructions would be very much appreciated please.
and because I'm a little nervous about making the tablet unusable, is this a very safe and easy thing to do?

regarding space available, 243.5mb out of 1.37gb

One of the main reasons I want to flash it is to modify the location for the memory

using this http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-share-how-swap-internal-memory-external.html

[edit] If required I can free up more space

Last edited:

Ronin90210

Aug 4, 2013
The program created a dump folder within cobyadb, i've replaced the boot.img with the one you gave me and put the metainf folder in the same place
looking at the recovery options,it says I can either do a Flash recovery using a stock image or a Flash clockwork mod recovery.
please advise.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
The program created a dump folder within cobyadb, i've replaced the boot.img with the one you gave me and put the metainf folder in the same place
looking at the recovery options,it says I can either do a Flash recovery using a stock image or a Flash clockwork mod recovery.
please advise.

I don't have any ideal what you are doing, to flash, you place the zip I gave you on sdcard boot into recovery and flash it.

Ronin90210

Aug 4, 2013
being VERY dense.

what I did:
I copied the file onto my usb card as directed.
I started the root restore program in cobyadb root_restore program (available on this forum http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ead-first-development-index-root-utility.html )
told it to rot my tablet but not reboot
Told it to enter recovery
use stock image
then let it reboot into recovery mode
using the volume keys i scrolled throught the option to where I copied the file
then used the power button to press 'enter'

Root is now saved after reboot, this has been checked with root checker basic.

many many many thanks to vampireifo

gcarmonag

Aug 16, 2013
Below is your boot.img. just flash it via recovery.

7042_boot_Ronin_signed.zip

If you have adb setup I can give you commands to backup your system. if not you will have to ask Traveller1701 about the script it's his script, so he would be the one to figure out whats wrong, How much free space do you have on your sdcard?

Hi, saludos from Venezuela
I am new here,
i have the same problem in same tablet as Ronin, only difference build number 20120329.202045. I was wondering if the file you send him would work for me?.
Thanks.