How do I fix a broken Market?

Mr.Gadget

Apr 13, 2011
Updated to 1.2 B&N
Rooted CWM
Loaded CM7 7.0.3 with 2011-03-07 gapps.
Android Market will not download.
----------------------------------------------------
Re-imaged to 7.0.2 and same behavior (WiFi working strongly on both attempts BTW)
-----------------------------------------------------
Now trying nightly CM7 build #75. If that does not work, I'll try Phiremod 6.2.

What can be done to fix a broken Android Market? Why does it allow me in, choose apps, and then no downloads? So frustrating.
My other Nook Color is setup the same, running 7.0.3 and works great!

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Try going into manage apps/select market then clear cache/data. Then see if it lets you sign back into market.

Sent from my fascinate

mharrsch

Dec 13, 2011
I have a Nook color rooted with the RootMyNookColor preconfigured microSD chip. Everything works fine except when I try to download an app from the Android Market Place, I can choose the App click download and click Install and click Accept and Download then after a moment I get a message that the app cannot be downloaded because an error occurred. Sometimes, however, if I get up at like 4 a.m. I can get some apps to download for a short time. As a retired IT director, I must say it sounds like the Android Market's server is overloaded. But, I can download an app with my Droid 3 smartphone on the same wifi network at the same time I am getting an error on the Nook Color so it can't be that. I have tried uninstalling updates on the Market App, I have flushed the Market cache then rebooted, and lastly I have tried Flushing both the cache and the data on the Download Manager then did a force stop and rebooted - all suggestions provided in various threads on this forum, but still no joy. This is very frustrating! The Amazon App Store works beautifully but at present I am trying to download Blood and Glory (I'm a Roman history buff) and the Amazon App Store does not have this app available. Any help would be deeply appreciated. By the way, I also notice Google Talk won't sign in either even though my Gmail account is configured properly and I can read my Gmail on my Nook color.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Have you checked the allow Settings>Applications>unknown sources box in settings? If it is checked, uncheck and recheck it. It really sounds like you are having a Google account syncing issue though since some of your Google stuff is working and some is not. Go to Settings>Accounts & sync>Account and then remove the account. Then Settings>Applications>Manage applications>All>Google Services Framework>Clear Data (this last one is better accomplished through Titanium Backup if you have it).

Reboot and the add your Google account and see if it works.

mharrsch

Dec 13, 2011
Have you checked the allow Settings>Applications>unknown sources box in settings? If it is checked, uncheck and recheck it. It really sounds like you are having a Google account syncing issue though since some of your Google stuff is working and some is not. Go to Settings>Accounts & sync>Account and then remove the account. Then Settings>Applications>Manage applications>All>Google Services Framework>Clear Data (this last one is better accomplished through Titanium Backup if you have it).

With the RootMyNookColor configuration I don't have (or couldn't find) the unknown sources box. (I went to Settings->Programs->All->Settings and looked through the list of checked items but there was no "unknown sources" in the list) So I moved on to your next suggestion and removed my Google Account, cleared my Google Services Framework Data and rebooted. Then I resetup my Google Account. Now, at least, I'm not getting an error from Google Talk and it will actually work now but I still can't download Blood & Glory. I noticed that Blood and Glory requires Phone settings. Since my Nook Color is not a phone, this may be a problem. So I attempted to download Paranormal Agency which does not have that requirement but it failed too with the same message (the application could not be downloaded due to an error) which is essentially the error message I have been getting all along. I noticed that in my system settings under "About Phone" there are fields for phone number, wireless providers, etc. but they are set to unknown and cannot be edited because this version of the Nook color does not support 3G.

I read on one of the threads that the Market tries to authenticate the downloading device to determine if the app selected is compatible and the person recommended cloning my Nook's Mac Address in my wireless router. I know what my Nook's MAC address is but, I'm afraid I don't know how to clone it to my wireless router and they didn't explain the procedure. I do know how to access my router's configuration panel, however.

mharrsch

Dec 13, 2011
Well, here's a new development. Early this morning I got up at 3:30 a.m. and attempted a download. I did not get an error and the download bar looked like it was doing something but kept running and running like it was stuck. I just let it run and went back to bed. Then I checked it at 7:00 a.m. and the download bar looked the same. So I rebooted the Nook. Then I could see download activity in the status bar - in fact two inboxes with arrows going into them. After a short time, the Nook reported it had installed Blood and Glory. Then I attempted to download Paranormal Agency and it downloaded and installed fine. Then I received a notification that the Market vending app had crashed. I did a Forced Stop. Then relaunched the Market and was able to select, download and install another title. The Market vending app crashed again. Again I did a Forced Stop and reloaded the Market and was able to select, download and install another app. It appears that I now have the capability of download apps although the Market vending app crashes pretty often. However, that's more of an annoyance than a problem so at least I am now somewhat functional. Which of the things I did that may have finally kicked in I'm not sure but this is at least a major step forward.

By the way, the two inboxes were running because the Nook downloaded both versions of Blood and Glory, the regular one and the gory one. I had clicked on each one at different times during my troubleshooting.

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
I'm not having any problems with the Market. However, going into Settings and clearing the cache and data for Market fixes most issues.

mharrsch

Dec 13, 2011
Clearing the cache in the Market and the cache and data in Google Framework was the first thing I tried and unfortunately, did not work in my case. I also uninstalled the latest Market update that was also a suggestion but that didn't work either. So I went through the processes I described above and, although they didn't appear to work at the time, as I mentioned something must have kicked in as I can now download apps even though the Market vending app crashes periodically and I have to do a Force Stop and reload the market to continue.

Shortyred

Mar 28, 2011
I have 1.3 rooted installed and have the default zeem launcher. I tried to install flickie and it said it was not for my device, but I see movies in the market. Do I need to install a diffrent laucher?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
The home launcher shouldn't make a difference. Some apps check the device sometimes you get that error due to the screen resolution. I get the same error in CM7 (most likely screen resolution).

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
I have 1.3 rooted installed and have the default zeem launcher. I tried to install flickie and it said it was not for my device, but I see movies in the market. Do I need to install a diffrent laucher?

Hi Shorty, I did this to fix the same problem, I don't remember who suggested it but I'm glad to pass it on. Go on the market and install Lcd Resolution, with this app you change the resolution of your nook from 160 to 161 , very easy, try
gloria

Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Clearing the cache in the Market and the cache and data in Google Framework was the first thing I tried and unfortunately, did not work in my case. I also uninstalled the latest Market update that was also a suggestion but that didn't work either. So I went through the processes I described above and, although they didn't appear to work at the time, as I mentioned something must have kicked in as I can now download apps even though the Market vending app crashes periodically and I have to do a Force Stop and reload the market to continue.

When I had the problems you described wih the market, after going to google service framework and clearing data I opened ROM manager, clicked on fix permission and followed instructions. Don't forget to reboot or it won't work.

Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum

Shortyred

Mar 28, 2011

Ok where are you finding this? I'm running 1.3 from emmc it’s rooted and has the zeem launcher. All I have is the standard settings and nookdev tools. I don't have cm7 settings menu. And my market doesn't show movies and I keep getting device not compatible message regardless of resolution. I had this working before don't know what's different this time!