How To Get Static IP Settings To Save?

rossmcm

Jan 20, 2012
OK, I've only had it out of the box for an hour. Maybe I missed a crucial episode. My WiFi needs a static IP for reasons that are not relevant to this.

I have tried to configure my Sony Tablet S for static IP. This is what I do:
  • My network is shown under Settings/WiFi Networks
  • I tap my network and open the settings
  • the cursor is on the password field
  • I enter the password and press return
  • I tap on IP Settings and select Static instead of DHCP. As soon as I do this, the static IP fields (gateway, DNS) appear, but the "Save" button at the bottom grays out!!!
  • No matter what I enter in this dialog, I cannot get the Save button to be anything other than disabled.
  • My only option is "Cancel", after which of course, the wireless settings are unchanged, and useless.
Help.

Please.

rossmcm

Jan 20, 2012
After much thrashing and gnashing I have got somewhere. It would appear as if the "Save" button on the "Modify Network" dialog is only enabled if you are successfully connected to a wireless network with an IP address!

Here's what I had to do:

- Turn on DHCP on my router
- Disable WiFi on the tablet, then re-enable it.
- Tablet connects to WiFi, and obtains a dynamic IP address.
- Go into "Modify Network" dialog.
- Change IP settings to Static
- Key in IP address required, Gateway, DNS servers
- "Save" button is now enabled!!
- Tap Save
- Turn DHCP off in router

pbiss

Oct 27, 2018
That's ridiculous!
I run a wireless access point on a statically addressed network - there is no DHCP server to provide a "seed" address. If what you say is right, I can never connect my tablet. Comment from someone who knows, please.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
In the future, please check the date of the post you are replying to. After six years, I doubt you're going to get a reply.