How do you de-mount a USB thumb drive?????

Discussion in 'Coby Tablet Accessories' started by willber, Jan 9, 2011.

1. willber

willber Member

Anyone know how to do this?
    There is de-mounting for a USB connection to a PC but nothing for thumbdrives.
    If you disconnect the thumbdrive, the tablet complains that you should demount the drive first.

2. OffWorld

OffWorld Senior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Haipad M701-R, Augen Gentouch 78 (returned it)
    Same problem on my Haipad, and apparently other tablets too. Seems the only "safe" way to unmount them is to power down/hibernate the tablet and unplug the USB flash drive. Otherwise just unplug it, ignore the complaint, and risk the potential data loss (which is really only a risk if you do it when the LED is flashing indicating drive activity).

I'm sure there is a umount command you could run in a terminal emulator on a rooted tablet too, but that sounds bothersome. Oh, and some tablets DO have an unmount option hidden somewhere in the Settings, or so I've heard. I guess go through and remember additional settings may be "hidden" unless you press the "Menu" button.

3. jeitnier

jeitnier Member

Tablet / Device:
    Kyros 7015
    Here is what i do - this is the easiest way to safely remove any device that does not automatically by the OS.

1) Download GScript from Market
    2) Add a new script with the following:
    Code:
    umount /pathtomountpoint
    3) On your main screen/desktop, long press and add a "shortcut"
    4) Scroll down to GScript and select it
    5) Locate your script you just created and click on it.

Basically you are just creating a fast 1-click shortcut to your desktop to unmount whatever you want. You will need to know the mount-point location of whatever device you are using first. For example: I use an external SATA drive with my Kyros in my car for all my music. By default my FAT32 partition will mount to the "/scsi" folder on my kyros. So I would just run "umount /scsi".

You must be rooted and have SU access to do this. If you want to see a list of all your mounts, create a script with the following in it and run it:

Code:
    mount
    Let me know if that helps!