How do you direct apps to install on the sd card?

mashline

Dec 17, 2011
Can anyone tell me how to direct apps to go and install to the sd card. I have a 32gig and the tablet sees it. Just not sure how to make everything go there.

Thanks for any help :)

chicobiker

Nov 10, 2011
As it stands now, apps can not be downloaded to or run from your external SD card. Only data files like docs, photos, songs etc. Apparently this is a limitation on other tablets too. There may be a future software update from Vizio that will allow but right now no.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
It depends on what version of Android you are running. Gingerbread supports the feature Honeycomb does not. So for tablets running Gingerbread you can search "App to SD" in the Market and get apps which will let you move compatible apps to the SD card.

Dwelder

Dec 6, 2011
The Vizio doesn't install apps on the sys card. When you go into settings and try to move it to the S's card, it moves it to the 2gb internal storage. Unless you are rooted, Vizio limits this ability.

Sent from my Decked Out HTC EVO with Tapatalk!

Zina_berry

Dec 5, 2011
So earlier today I swapped the sd cards from my blackberry and tablet and hooked the blackberry up to the computer. At the sd card's topmost level, I created a directory for the card and moved everything into it. I found, like has previously been stated, there were only pictures and songs on the card, along with some blackberry stuff. All the apps which I've been "transferring to the sd card" are not there. I guess, more than anything, I was curious to see if the apps were actually there. They are not.

ktackel

Aug 31, 2011
It depends on what version of Android you are running. Gingerbread supports the feature Honeycomb does not. So for tablets running Gingerbread you can search "App to SD" in the Market and get apps which will let you move compatible apps to the SD card.

J515OP This has already been discussed in multiple threads it does not work on Gingerbread on the Vizio and some other tablets. We appreciate your attempt to help but we need to try to keep mis-information to a minimum or we will have many more threads on this same subject.

epconrad

Jan 1, 2012
I use APP 2 SD to move apps to the external sd card after I download and install them. It marks the apps that should not be moved with a little "x" to avoid problems. So far it's been working fine with no problems.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
J515OP This has already been discussed in multiple threads it does not work on Gingerbread on the Vizio and some other tablets. We appreciate your attempt to help but we need to try to keep mis-information to a minimum or we will have many more threads on this same subject.

Yes, this was a more general answer following onto Weebee's coment. I could have been more specific regarding lack of support in Vizio and certain other tablets but chicobiker already did that in the second post. It is not misinformation since you can do it and a search will yield more detailed information. It is possible if you root and that information can be found here http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-point-modification-discussion-post-root.html.

marvin02

Aug 25, 2011
I use APP 2 SD to move apps to the external sd card after I download and install them. It marks the apps that should not be moved with a little "x" to avoid problems. So far it's been working fine with no problems.

You should read this. Your apps are not being moved to the external SD Card. This has been discussed many times.

marvin02

Aug 25, 2011
Not all of us are "post root." And some of us have no intention. :D

It is understandable that some are reluctant to root, that is a choice each user makes. The link was provided by J515OP for those who need/want to move apps to the external SD Card. Many users don't understand how the VTAB actually uses the internal user memory and the SD Card, I provided alink to an explanation in my previous post in this thread.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Not all of us are "post root." And some of us have no intention. :D

Including me although I do have the intention ;) In that case, as chicobiker/marvin02 said, you can't do it unless Vizio decides to fix the issue in an update or you decide to root after all. Nothing in Gingerbread prevents it though which is good news. I believe ICS also lacks the ability which is a bummer because if Vizio provides an ICS update I will probably go for that over root and hope somebody figures out a way to root ICS at some point.

JP

Last edited:

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011

Be nice to our mods, ktachel...they work hard and we love them! :)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Android Tablet Forum

ronk1030

Dec 31, 2011
You guys are amazing. Using App to SD, I thought that I was moving my apps. After reading here, I ran some before and after numbers. One app is 40.28 MB, and after the move, I checked the SD card, and found out it only moved 2.24 MB You burst my bubble, but at least I know now what is happening. Thanks for the info...