How Do You Guys feel About The Screen?

Rogerlebo

Jun 4, 2011
He's trolling. The acer uses the exact same scree specs as the xoom.
He's just here to make trouble.

Hi!

You can find the official specs from page 58 in “Iconia Tab User Guide”.

Here are the specs concerning the display :
Display
•10.1” WXGA TFT-LCDcapacitive multi-touch screen
•1280 x 800 resolution
•262K colors support

Here is the link : http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Document/User%20Manual/User%20Manual_Acer_1.0_A_A.pdf?acerid=634423361157112872&Step1=Tablet&Step2=ICONIA Tab&Step3=A500&OS=a05&LC=en&BC=Acer&SC=PA_6 Tab&Step3=A500&OS=a05&LC=en&BC=Acer&SC=PA_6

Have a nice day!

Last edited:

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
I don't think the number of colors really makes that big of a difference.....other factors like brightness, saturation, and viewing angle will matter more. On the iconia, the saturation is probably the weak point.

WXMAN

Nov 29, 2010
Has anyone done a hard side by side test with the Transformer (or even the Xoom)? Everyone says the TF is great (but has light leak on many units, a killer for me). I have never seen the TF in person. I can only compare the Iconia to my Playbook (but the pixel density on the 7" display may be over dramatizing the superiority of the PB...which kills any portable display I have ever seen) and my desktop XVGA LCD which really makes the Iconia look poor. Thanks.

WXMAN

Nov 29, 2010
I don't think the number of colors really makes that big of a difference.....other factors like brightness, saturation, and viewing angle will matter more. On the iconia, the saturation is probably the weak point.

I agree, the comparative lack of color saturation is the most noticeable issue on the Iconia. Can that be tweaked by Acer in a firmware upgrade or aftermarket app?

Rogerlebo

Jun 4, 2011
Hi!

At the store, I saw Iconia, Xoom and Transformer and I compared the screens.

Iconia screen was a bit brighter than Xoom screen.
Iconia screen was as bright as Transformer screen.

Finally, I bought Iconia because it has a USB port (host) for my USB keys .

Have a nice day!

jojobar

Jun 7, 2011
I agree, the comparative lack of color saturation is the most noticeable issue on the Iconia. Can that be tweaked by Acer in a firmware upgrade or aftermarket app?

This cannot be tweaked as this pertains to how many bits are used to represent a color (most likely it is the display hardware). In iconia it is 6-bit and zoom it is 8-bit. 8-bit is the most standard on lcd but some manufacturer makes it 6-bit for various reasons (graphics hardware, gaming response etc.) 6-bit colors are faster to process and that may improve game performance. However, hue and saturation may suffer slightly (again this depends on the dpi whether it is noticable).

Now when you bring two devices side by side one with 262k and other with 16M it will be visible because human eyes are sensitive to the difference (other factors being same). But I bet if you do a blind test like see a picture on xoom for a few seconds and then after a delay see the same picture on a500, you may not be able to notice the difference.

some details here: LCD Color: 8-Bit vs. 6-Bit

fbales

May 5, 2010
My only complaint with this screen is how glossy it is. Other than that I'm pleased with the color and sharpness this screen has. Easy to clean too.

Frank

MikeAnthony

Jul 26, 2011
i agree with the poster who said you should use your own eyes to make a decision. doing a side-by-side comparison, go with the one that looks better in your opinion.

deedub

Jul 4, 2011
As far as I am concerned my A500 screen is just fine. When I was doing comparisons, I really didn't notice all that much difference ie. Xoom, so it really never entered into my purchase decision.

Mike02z

Jul 5, 2011
do you have a screen protector on? Some of the ones on the market do seem make the screen look a tad blurry and/or make the saturation slightly off.

Ain't that the truth! I had a Zagg on mine when I first purchased it. I thought the colors were off and there were these horizontal lines through my screen. I was thinking of returning the device but I pulled the screen protector off and voila! It was like a new device. Colors were better and no lines across the screen. I returned the screen protector. I'm done with screen protectors on any of my devices.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
If you tablet has gorilla glass, which I believe the Acer does(?) there really is no reason for a screen protector anyway. I have an iPod touch that isn't babied at all, got it the week it was released, and there isn't a single scratch on the screen. My Galaxy Tabs screen is just fine as well.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Android Tablet Forum

5_star

Jun 11, 2011
screen looks fine to my eyes, I'd just agree with the comment above that it's a bit glossy