How do you guys unplug a usb flash drive fro a500?

beliyrost

May 1, 2011
As you all know in windows os (don't know about mac) you have to stop the device first before unplugging it. To (what they call) safely device removal. What about honeycomb, do you have to do anything like that prior unplugging the drive? What you guys think, how you guys do it? Advice is very appreciated.

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
I just yank that sucker under both oses. (I generally make sure, for windows, that nothing is being written to the drive at the time).

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
I right click, eject, and then remove unless I left it in from an earlier period.

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Almost all operating systems these days mount usb storage in what is called synchronous mode, or rapid removal mode.
This means writes are not held in buffers, but rather it is written to the device and the directory is updated as soon as possible.

Then the stick is essentially soft demounted so it can be removed at any time.
So, yanking the plug is generally safe, as long as you give it a second.
Those devices with a little led light on them are great for this.

Oct 18, 2010
@AQ_OC

Oh boy. Make sure in windows that it is set to not buffer writes. I guess if you haven't had any problems, it must be. Otherwise you WILL currupt the filesystem.

As for the tablet, it seems impossible to unmount the USB drive, even if you're rooted. So just make sure it's not blinking.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
@AQ_OC

Oh boy. Make sure in windows that it is set to not buffer writes. I guess if you haven't had any problems, it must be. Otherwise you WILL currupt the filesystem.

As for the tablet, it seems impossible to unmount the USB drive, even if you're rooted. So just make sure it's not blinking.

Never had a problem over years and years of use. Of course, I never "yank" while something is being written to the device. If the led is blinking when you yank, your stuff is toast. Fer sure.

Natcha

May 9, 2011
Well, I was doing the "waiting for no blinking on the USB stick" and then pulling/plugging in the stick. I found that on one of my USB drives, whenever I plugged it in with A500 in sleep or on mode, then files would be erased from the USB drive. I could consistently do it over and over again with this particular drive and get erased files every time. Another USB stick I have does not exhibit this (or at least hasn't so far). Not sure why some do and some don't.

I find if I turn the A500 completely off, then remove/plug in the memory, I do not have the erased files problem.

I'm pretty sure I have read either on this forum or another forum other uses who have had the same erased files problems.

At present, I'm playing it safe and shutting the A500 down before inserting/removing usb memory.

Bill

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
Well, I was doing the "waiting for no blinking on the USB stick" and then pulling/plugging in the stick. I found that on one of my USB drives, whenever I plugged it in with A500 in sleep or on mode, then files would be erased from the USB drive. I could consistently do it over and over again with this particular drive and get erased files every time. Another USB stick I have does not exhibit this (or at least hasn't so far). Not sure why some do and some don't.

I find if I turn the A500 completely off, then remove/plug in the memory, I do not have the erased files problem.

I'm pretty sure I have read either on this forum or another forum other uses who have had the same erased files problems.

At present, I'm playing it safe and shutting the A500 down before inserting/removing usb memory.

Bill

Are you 100% sure the files are erased? I seem to recall others saying that once they restarted the machine the files were still there. It's not that they were erased, but that the Acer somehow lost tract of the drive. Probably a bug.

Edit: Yeah, that's what's going on...if you yank...then the Acer won't see the contents of the usb drive until you reboot it. There may be some other way to get it to re-read the drive, though. I seem to remember getting it to do it once, but I can't remember what I did now. But the files on the USB are not erased.

Last edited:

Natcha

May 9, 2011
Are you 100% sure the files are erased? I seem to recall others saying that once they restarted the machine the files were still there. It's not that they were erased, but that the Acer somehow lost tract of the drive. Probably a bug.

Yep - they are erased. I've pulled the drive and checked it on my desktop pc. Did the test many, many times and it is repeatable. I have reformated the drive, copied files to it on the desktop, put in the A500 when a500 is shut down. Booted A500, put a500 to sleep, pulled card, reinserted and you can watch the drive light as it's being accessed as the files are being erased while the a500 is still in sleep mode. Turn a500 on and files are gone. What's strange is that it might be files 2, 3, 5, 8, 9 of a 10 file set. Files 1, 4, 6,7 & 10 might still be there. I repeated it again tonight several times.

Like I said, this has been discussed in several other forum threads.

For me, I'm playing it safe and turning A500 off before swapping the USB memory.

Bill

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Oh boy. Make sure in windows that it is set to not buffer writes. I guess if you haven't had any problems, it must be. Otherwise you WILL currupt the filesystem
I forgot to do the "Safely Remove" and the next time I tried to use the device Windows said the whole drive was corrupt.

drozas

May 1, 2011
I think that is one of the 3.1 improvements, but yes, I agree, turn off your tab to pull your stick. Haha, did I just say that?

Sent from my A500