How do you root and install cwm. MID 8042

1Nate321

Dec 28, 2012
I do know a lot about electronics and how to install thing but I don't know how to root a device. I want to root my Coby Kyros MID8042 with ICS so I can get play store. I tried the way to get it without rooting but it wouldn't work because it would always say log in failure. The most important thing I need to know how to install is CWM but I have no clue on how to install it. I literally have no clue. I keep looking at how to do its but I still have no clue on how to install it. I don't even know where to start. Somebody please help and if there is a way to install play store without rooting please tell me. Thanks.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi Nate, congratulations on your new Coby MID8042 and welcome to the forum. I'm moving your thread to the Coby Generation 3 forum for you, where more people familiar with your tablet are likely to join the discussion and try to help you. Enjoy your tablet and the forum!

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
No way to get playstore without root. And you want CWM recovery so this thread will do what you want:

Linux Users, Coby 8042, Root, Recovery, Update, All Without Livesuite

Don't let the linux stuff scare you, you can run it all from a windows command prompt. But you must have ADB (Android Debugging Bridge) and its drivers setup. This is the communications between your PC and your tablet.

You can find the instructions and links to the drivers you'll need in the sticky posts at the top of this section and the development section.

1Nate321

Dec 28, 2012
Alright thanks. I am going to try it but what is the chance of me bricking my tablet and how do most people brick their tablet. Thanks.

1Nate321

Dec 28, 2012
Ok I rooted it and installed Clockwork Mod but I can't start it from boot. When I try android recovery comes up. Even when I hold the volume keys it still doesn't come up. Please help me.

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Ok I rooted it and installed Clockwork Mod but I can't start it from boot. When I try android recovery comes up. Even when I hold the volume keys it still doesn't come up. Please help me.

Need more info. What process did you use for root ? Are you sure you have root?