How good is the HDMI out?

JoSCh

Jun 2, 2011
Hi, newb to tablets and considering buying the Archos 101 because I prefer the 10 inch screen to 7, and the 101 seems like it's a very good value. I want it for web browsing, videos, reading, and general internet use. I'm intrigued by the HDMI output; how good is it? Will a HD video from Netflix look as good out of the Archos as it does out of my xbox or Roku when displayed on a 46" 720p HD plasma TV?

TIA. Great forum also, seems like lots of good support from the community.

DJACID

May 7, 2011
Picture quality is great through hdmi,
Comparing to the ps3, laptop or my media player, the picture quality was exactly the same

10 till 4

Apr 12, 2011
I haven't really gotten to mess with it too much yet but it seemed decent... What you may enjoy is the new Archos Remote where you can use your phone as a remote for the tablet

JoSCh

Jun 2, 2011
I haven't really gotten to mess with it too much yet but it seemed decent... What you may enjoy is the new Archos Remote where you can use your phone as a remote for the tablet

Thanks for the replies. Ordered it, it should be here today.

I'd need to get a new phone to use it as a remote as the wife has an older Samsung Behold and I have a BB Curve... it never ends! :D

10 till 4

Apr 12, 2011
lol I have always used android phones and loved them and i figured i could probably do some cool things if i paired the two and let me tell you lol there are some sweet things you can do

JoSCh

Jun 2, 2011
Update for anyone reading this thread in the future: I purchased the Archos 101 and a mini-HDMI to HDMI cable and have watched several videos on a 42 in 720 HD plasma. The picture quality out of the tablet is outstanding. I've been streaming the videos from my "media center" via wireless with no problems. The source file will be your limitation, if anything.

The only problem I have, and it's very minor, is you have to switch output to the TV from the home screen; you can't do it from within the video app. Then you have to navigate using the mouse pointer instead of the touch screen. Not at all a big deal, the mouse pointer is a little sensitive so I "click" sometimes when I'm just trying to move the pointer.

Also, I haven't seen anything in the 2 weeks of owning this thing that would make me recommend buying a different tablet. It is truly better than an iPad at half the cost. Recommend the Dolphin Browser and the android market hack detailed everywhere.

Bilgediver

Dec 3, 2010
Using the tablet as a "touchpad" for your TV works but its awkward to me, I haven't tried it recently but I was watching movies from my tablet on my gf's 42" 1080p Vizio LCD TV, and the picture quality was as good as 720p will get you (the bigger the TV, the more you really want the higher resolution High Def of 1080p).