How to auto hide the taskbar on 9742?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Replacing the policy jar file isn't as likely to cause problems as is the settings.apk file. It would require decompiling and editing the 9742 settings.apk, as it's unlikely the one you linked to would work, being for a different tablet. The other .apk would likely work without issue unless it calls for a feature the 9742 doesn't have.

taledus

Jul 26, 2012
I read later on in the thread that this method was no longer supported for some reason. But I'm not sure if this is a device issue or an ICS issue...both of which I have no clue apparently. From what I am understanding is the ToggleBar_XOOM.apk is simply going to add the option in the display settings. Decompiling the other 2 files is another issue altogether as I really don't have a clue on where to start as I did download the Android SDK tools, but it doesn't appear to have installed anything that would allow me to have a look around the files in order to get a better feel for what needs to be done on anything. I even backed up my policy file just to look through it and I can find nothing that will allow me to look the classes.dex file inside.

Regardless, even if I had the proper stuff to decompile and edit the files I am not sure I would feel comfortable attempting to mess with anything, as being new to this an all didn't even know the difference between rooting and installing a custom rom...I would only likely fail on all ends. Provided I had the tools to edit the files I could change out the needed files in the custom rom I downloaded and used in order to have a proper rom for my tablet instead of the one that doesn't have the proper driver support for the camera and screen inversion issue.

Heck, I still don't understand about how to install clockwork mod, or to check if I even have it on the tablet now, in order to do a proper backup like you tried to explain in the other thread. Oh well, maybe one day I will get this...one day :D

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Editing SettingsUI.apk is what adds the option to the settings. The other apk file is what does the "heavy lifting". Regardless, decompiling an apk, making changes, and recompiling them isn't something a novice should attempt. There's too much that could go wrong.

taledus

Jul 26, 2012
I have determined that if I can't even figure out how to open the files to look at them, trying to make changes is pointless. I downloaded the android sdk, and the stuff for "Android 4.0.3 (API15)" yet upon looking into the downloaded files I can find nothing that I understand how to use...I think it is all command-based stuff, and coming from using Visual Studio for all my programming stuff doesn't really help in this regard with non-gui stuff.

I did think that trying to open a copy of my policy file and the other one to see what exactly the differences were might provide me some sort of clue on how to handle this, but no. Maybe this weekend I can get some additional time to look over stuff I can read all the documentation that I can, maybe find a video or tutorial, and go from there on editing something...
:D