How to Backup?

Discussion in 'Android Tablet Usage, Tips & Tricks' started by Birdman, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Birdman

Birdman Junior Member

Hi, Is it possible to make a backup image or restore file of the google android tablet. I noticed in the device settings there is something called Backup, Restore but I want it either on a usb key, cd, or other computer just in case the tablet is non functional.
    Thanks.
  2. OffWorld

OffWorld Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Haipad M701-R, Augen Gentouch 78 (returned it)
    I used the "dd" command to image the mtdblocks to my sd card and then offloaded them to my Mac for safe-keeping. That's pretty straight-forward, but I believe it requires a rooted tablet.

However, I don't know (have not yet tried) to restore a tablet from dd backup images. I guess I'm assuming it can be done via ADB, but have not confirmed that. I have a copy of the factory firmware and now the firmware update - with their flashing utility - so I probably won't ever use the backup images anyway. I'm sure someone else on these forums knows.
  3. Birdman

Birdman Junior Member

Thank you, I understand a little more how the tablet works. I will do some searching for the firmware and flashing utility.