How to check/verify if .mobi files are valid ?

CNookGuy

Aug 22, 2011
Kind of recent to NC CM7, but very tech savvy.

Using SwiFTP to transfer files (.epub/.mobi) to the NC.

Had an issue where I copied a group of .mobi files to the /mnt/sdcard/kindle folder on SD card.

I then tried to Open the Kindle app and it gave an error msg. So I narrowed it down to the file transfer. Once I deleted the files I copied it started working again.

So how to I check for BAD .mobi files ?

jaamgans

Jun 6, 2011
not sure you can - you could try them one at a time i.e. upload one, open kindle -if it works thats fine then try next. Course that depends on how much you are transferring. Part of your issue could be the ePub files - kindle can't read them and this could be giving you the issue if you did transfer any of them over.

If there is no DRM on .mobi files then you could also try iReader. The paid version will also allow you to read the DRM files - bit of a mission to set up but its possible and does work.

CNookGuy

Aug 22, 2011
depends on how much you are transferring.
A large library from PC, so quite a bit of files to hit one-by-one, need alternative.
Maybe converting the books might be another approach, I use Calibre to manage the varoius files on PC.
Be nice if I just had a Batch Checker to verify if.mobi files are VALID or either the Kindle app is BUGGY !! Need to try a different .mobi reader

Part of your issue could be the ePub files - kindle can't read them
Understand, the epub files are kept in a seperate folder: /mnt/sdcard/eBooks. Using Aldiko read/manage the epub files. After testing a few (3 or 4) eBook readers I have come to the conslusion that Aldiko was the best, Moon+ was a close 2nd, also tried Nook and Kobo

If there is no DRM on .mobi files then you could also try iReader.
They should all be DRM free, is there a way to Batch Check DRM ? ? ? ? ....... ;-)
I did not try iReader, could you point me to the best place to read about, all I found was this:

iReader 1.0.9.5 is released! - iReader

Features list - iReader

Looks kind of strange last updated Sunday 31 october 2010 7 31 /10 /Oct /2010 19:09

This bring up ..... "is there a droid app to read both .mobi and .epub" ? I looked but I think does not exist at the moment ? And most of the web sites don;t seem to list the supported file types, ie:

Features | Laputa eReader

Google Android showdown: Battle of the eReader Apps | ZDNet

Which is my favorite and why?
Kobo is my favorite for a paid ebook store application with Aldiko being my favorite "open" ebook reader. I like the customization options in Aldiko and while FBReader has many of these as well they are not as user friendly as they are in Aldiko. I would not even load iReader on your device if I were you. Laputa is decent, but may be providing access to illegal ebook content so you might as well use Aldiko or FBReader to access Feedbooks online. Aldiko also is the only application I found that lets you load ebooks (in EPUB format) via a manual microSD card transfer and I wish they would add support for Adobe Digital Editions so I could check out public library books.

To webmaster/head moderator: Excellent Forum, Very Impressed -- Bravo !!!!

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
@CNookGuy, welcome to the forum and to the Nook section. Glad you like it.