(How To) CM7 Bootable SD

dalp

Dec 27, 2011
I have a question. Do I have to reboot to stock first before doing the process outlined in the OP? I ask because my nook isn't working because of a failed attempt to root and I have tried to do this process without rebooting to stock and it doesn't work. Also if I have to reboot to stock is there a simple way of doing it? I have tried the method of holding down the power buttong 8 times thingy and it didn't work. My screen always gets stuck at the "N".

Thank you

Obelisk429

Dec 29, 2011
First let me preface this by saying I've never used any type of android thing before ever.

After running what looks like some kind of linux setup, my NC shuts itself off, instead of prompting me and telling me that it's okay. After this, it refuses to boot with the SD card inserted into the slot. The screen doesn't even flicker. Could this have to do with me having the updated nook color software?

Okay, sorry I didn't look through the forum before asking, I changed the partition size like it says in the troubleshooting thread. It seems to be working fine now.

dansamy

Dec 19, 2010
It runs something that looks like a Linux setup because Android is based on Linux. It IS a Linux setup that's running.

Sent from my DROIDX running MIUI

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
First let me preface this by saying I've never used any type of android thing before ever.

After running what looks like some kind of linux setup, my NC shuts itself off, instead of prompting me and telling me that it's okay. After this, it refuses to boot with the SD card inserted into the slot. The screen doesn't even flicker. Could this have to do with me having the updated nook color software?

It sounds like your installation didn't complete. You either need to repartition the boot after burning the image of flash CM7 then boot up, power down, remove the card add Gapps then boot into recovery and flash the Gapps. This thread contains the instructions for both fixes.

lstiffler

Dec 28, 2011
Just wanted to post a thank you to everyone for putting this together. It took me 6-7 tries to get it right but man is this thing sweet.

Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum

milhouse

Dec 31, 2011
My nook v1.4.0 will not boot from the SD card, despite following the OP method and other methods and images tried.

I've used a Sandisk 4gb class 4 card, and a Lexar 8GB class 4 card. I've reformatted using SDFormatter, successfully wrote the generic-sdcard-v1.3.img, v1.2.1.img, even tried Nook-2GB-SDCard-CW3010-VGCM7InstallerAsALTinMultiBoot-v6, using both WinImage and Win32diskimager, left the partition as is, expanded the partition to ~150MB with Easus, copied over CM7.0.3, CM7.1.0, the latest nightly build as zips with their original names.

After many many hours of trying different methods, programs and files the same result is the standard nook software booting up and doing it's thing to my sd card. No Penguin in sight.....

Is there something I'm missing?

patruns

Jun 4, 2011
Can you list the files or show a screen shot of what your card looks like once you have completed it? There is nothing wrong with your device. A card that won't boot either has a bad image or is missing a file.....

milhouse

Dec 31, 2011
Here's the contents of the sd card $sdcard.jpg

Weebee

Dec 1, 2011
I admire everyone that was able to do this. I tried twice but failed miserably. After watching and bidding on N2A cards on ebay I finally scored a 8 gig card for 10.50 shipped. This is from the same web sight that sells them all the time. They are having good holiday specials on ebay. Most of the starting prices are under 10.00 for 8 gig cards. I can't wait to get mine. It'll be cool to have my NC acting like a little TF!

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
They got specials because soon we'll have ICS on the cards for the nook! Thank you anyway for the tip, I have to get a card for a friend, I got her the nook also...very "giving and not getting" Christmas for me with all my friends out of jobs!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Android Tablet Forum

milhouse

Dec 31, 2011
I just returned with another multicard reader/writer that specifically stated it supported SDHC class 4 (I'm trying to use a Sandisk 4GB class 4), after following the step by step procedures, the result is........ once again, a straight boot into the NOOK OS. (It also looks like my Nook has updated itself to 1.4.1 sometime today).

I'm all out of ideas. I've tried many different methods, new/old/other versions of writers, image files, different CM7 versions, different folder locations, etc. and I'm stuck.

Is there some setting in my nook that prohibits it from booting from the SD? Some magical key combination I should press to get it to boot from the uSD? Or is there a way to see if my 'bootable; uSD is actually bootable (without trying to load CM7). Something isn't working...(well, except for the Nook OS), maybe I should just leave it as is. Crud.

motorbreath

Jan 2, 2012
I just returned with another multicard reader/writer that specifically stated it supported SDHC class 4 (I'm trying to use a Sandisk 4GB class 4), after following the step by step procedures, the result is........ once again, a straight boot into the NOOK OS. (It also looks like my Nook has updated itself to 1.4.1 sometime today).

I'm all out of ideas. I've tried many different methods, new/old/other versions of writers, image files, different CM7 versions, different folder locations, etc. and I'm stuck.

Is there some setting in my nook that prohibits it from booting from the SD? Some magical key combination I should press to get it to boot from the uSD? Or is there a way to see if my 'bootable; uSD is actually bootable (without trying to load CM7). Something isn't working...(well, except for the Nook OS), maybe I should just leave it as is. Crud.

I am having the same problem. I am also on the latest B&N update. I followed the instructions to the letter and once I power up for the first time I watch all the CM7 and gapps files unpack, then boot straight into the official Nook software. I am not a rooting rookie... but I am starting to feel like one. Any help or work around would be very much appreciated.

motorbreath

Jan 2, 2012
Just wanted to post a thank you to everyone for putting this together. It took me 6-7 tries to get it right but man is this thing sweet.

Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum

What problems did you run into? And what did you do to remedy said problems?
Thanks in advance.

milhouse

Dec 31, 2011
I am having the same problem. I am also on the latest B&N update. I followed the instructions to the letter and once I power up for the first time I watch all the CM7 and gapps files unpack, then boot straight into the official Nook software. I am not a rooting rookie... but I am starting to feel like one. Any help or work around would be very much appreciated.

At least you see something happening besides the standard boot! I don't even get that far.
If you haven't done so, try expanding the partition on the sdcard using the lastest Easues Partition Manager before putting it in the Nook.

As for me, I have no idea why my attempts don't show anything happening other than a regular Nook boot. What card are you using? I've tried a couple of different ones, but both are microSDHC class 4. These are supposed to work well, I thought. I also restored the nook to original state using the 8 interrupted boot method, and even downgraded the nook to 1.4.0 using acclaim_update (after it had updated itself to 1.4.1). After each, I retried to do the CM7 SD load and was unsuccessful. Any help is appreciated.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
milhouse, just to be clear are you trying this on a Nook Tablet or Nook Color? This is for Nook Color only and will not work on a Nook Tablet since the Tablet will always boot to the internal before the boot card.