(How To) CM7 Bootable SD

BoloMKXXVIII

Jul 27, 2010
I wouldn't bother going faster than class 6. Most cards you find advertised as faster than class 6 don't really perform faster in real world situations. They just cost more.

gregh

Jan 3, 2011
the OC kernel ext 4 isnt working. i also made sure that it was the SD version. is there something else i need to do besides dropping the uImage file on the boot ?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
the OC kernel ext 4 isnt working. i also made sure that it was the SD version. is there something else i need to do besides dropping the uImage file on the boot ?

All you should have to do is remove the orginal file named uImage and replace it with the OC kernel that has been renamed uImage. Did you check the md5 of the kernel you downloaded to make sure it was a good download?

E.Walter

May 13, 2011
Thanks for this guide, J515OP. Stumbled across it with a lucky google search and I appreciate the work you've done. Increased the value of my Nook (to me) tenfold!

I'm having a problem at step 22. When I try to sign into my Google account, it sits for a while with a status bar ("Your phone needs to communicate with the Google servers to set up your account. This may take up to five minutes."). After a little bit, it changes to a screen that says: "Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server." The only option then is Back, which just takes me to my Google account login screen again.

I know I'm online and wifi is working. The browser works great and I'm about to download the amazon store. Any idea what could be causing this?http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/members/j515op.html

E.Walter

May 13, 2011
Thanks for this guide, J515OP. Stumbled across it with a lucky google search and I appreciate the work you've done. Increased the value of my Nook (to me) tenfold!

I'm having a problem at step 22. When I try to sign into my Google account, it sits for a while with a status bar ("Your phone needs to communicate with the Google servers to set up your account. This may take up to five minutes."). After a little bit, it changes to a screen that says: "Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server." The only option then is Back, which just takes me to my Google account login screen again.

I know I'm online and wifi is working. The browser works great and I'm about to download the amazon store. Any idea what could be causing this?http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/members/j515op.html

Well, a third reboot fixed it. Sorry about that, false alarm. Not sure why it failed to work previously, but it seems to be now.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011

Normally that would be a wifi issue. Sometimes it takes a minute for the eifi to initiate before that setp. I'll look into it and see if I can come up with anything else.

JP

E.Walter

May 13, 2011
Hopefully you saw my second reply, but in case you didn't I'll bump to say a reboot fixed it (to save you from spending your time on a cure). It's strange, since wifi was working both before and after the reboot, but there you go. Also, in the sync setup, I was getting a lot of freezeups and requests to force close or wait (I always chose wait). It worked fine in the end though, as far as I can tell.

Thanks again!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Missed that got distracted and saw your post above. Glad you got it working :)

ShutterPeep

May 3, 2011
Thanks J515OP! I followed your guide and finally have CM7 running via mSD. I can't believe how responsive it already is. And indeed, the Nook Color is just unbeatable in terms of what you get for what you paid for.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Thanks J515OP! I followed your guide and finally have CM7 running via mSD. I can't believe how responsive it already is. And indeed, the Nook Color is just unbeatable in terms of what you get for what you paid for.

Yes it realy really is. Having the ability to run an OS like this from an SD card is just the cherry on top. Now that I can use magazines in the nook app I am really sold on the custom ROMs but still like this option so I can run CM7 and then pop it out and boot to rooted Nook so I can help others with rooted issues.

:)

Smaugy

Feb 18, 2011
Ok, I finally took the dive last night and installed CM7 on SD and went thru the setup. Following the directions in the first post help greatly. Replaced ADW with Zeam and am very happy.....lags when installing something to SD but that is expected. And I am loving it, but have a few questions:

1) CMW - how do I get Clockwork Recovery installed? From the boot menu you can boot into Recovery but mine won't - assuming Clockwork isn't installed on the SD.
2) Bluetooth - is it enabled in the base setup of CM7 or do I need to install something else?
3) OC Kernel - what are the appropriate OC kernel to install under CM7 on SD? And just looking for a pointer to directions so I can get this puppy over-clocked.

Thanks for the directions and all the help included.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Ok, I finally took the dive last night and installed CM7 on SD and went thru the setup. Following the directions in the first post help greatly. Replaced ADW with Zeam and am very happy.....lags when installing something to SD but that is expected. And I am loving it, but have a few questions:

1) CMW - how do I get Clockwork Recovery installed? From the boot menu you can boot into Recovery but mine won't - assuming Clockwork isn't installed on the SD.
2) Bluetooth - is it enabled in the base setup of CM7 or do I need to install something else?
3) OC Kernel - what are the appropriate OC kernel to install under CM7 on SD? And just looking for a pointer to directions so I can get this puppy over-clocked.

1) I have only played with this aspect very little but I don't think you can use CRW with the bootable SD for an OS. The problem is when you reboot into recovery the SD card is detected and it takes boot priority so that you just boot back into CM7. I think you can use ROM manager though to do things like backups which write to the virtual SD card that is actaully a partion on the the real card. That way at least you are covered. The beauty is that even if something goes wrong it is all contained to the SD card so worst case you pop it out reformat and start over.

2) Bluetooth is enabled and there are a few threads around here dealing with enabling/pairing bluetooth if you have issues.

3) Any kernel that is marked as CM7 & SD (not eMMC).

JP

Stumblethru

Feb 12, 2011

~~~~

I have CM7.0.0 on SD and I used ROMManager ver 3.0.1.4 to flash CWR. It is the first thing on the menu when you open RM. I have no idea how permanent it is though.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I have CM7.0.0 on SD and I used ROMManager ver 3.0.1.4 to flash CWR. It is the first thing on the menu when you open RM. I have no idea how permanent it is though.

Yes, you can flash it. Not sure where it flashes to though, eMMC or virtual eMMC that is actually on the SD? The problem then comes when you try to reboot recovery. In my one attempt to see what would happen I rebooted into regualr CM7 which is what you'd expect if you leave a bootable SD card in. If it actually flashes to the device eMMC it is a handy little trick but it still won't let you use CWR to make changes to the CM7 OS on the disk, ie flash a kernel.