(How To) CM7 Bootable SD

ShutterPeep

May 3, 2011
That can be "fixed" if you jailbreak. Have you looked into the standard bluetooth tricks? They are spread around in a few different threads so try a search. One I do recall is that you may have to turn wifi off, reboot, trun bluetooth on then turn on wifi.

JP

Thanks again JP. I got it to work following the hard reboot after turning off wifi first. I don't know why it didn't work the 1st time... Anyway, I got them paired but not connected. I guess the NC still only supports bluetooth headsets and the like.

My (fruit) phone is jailbroken so I'll work that route and hopefully get it up and running.

By the way, I really apologize for the 1diotic questions I ask but how do I add an OC kernel to my already working bootable CM7 micro SD?

-----------------------------------------
edit: I finally got the Wifi tethering working with my iPhone 3GS.

Last edited:

CLSmith

Jan 14, 2011
Omg! What a day, but i'm finally up and running CM7! Reloading my apps. The first one was the Nook app then this forum. Now back to reading and see what else I can get into. Plenty I'm sure. Thx for all the help.

Sent from my NookColor CM7 on SD using Android Tablet Forum

ShutterPeep

May 3, 2011
Omg! What a day, but i'm finally up and running CM7! Reloading my apps. The first one was the Nook app then this forum. Now back to reading and see what else I can get into. Plenty I'm sure. Thx for all the help.

Sent from my NookColor CM7 on SD using Android Tablet Forum

Nice to know you got it working!

Smaugy

Feb 18, 2011
Just wanted to thank you JP for the nice guide. I was running CM7 off of an SD card but didn't like it too much due to some lag because of the card I was using. The install guide was very clear and easy to follow. I finally took the plunge and installed CM7 on emmc and added an overclock kernel. More responsive and what I was looking for in a tablet. And just installed the market version of Netflix.....am a very happy camper now.......keep up the great work!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Yay! These nooks are great once you get them setup right (or even as just a stock ereader really) :D

pustyak

May 10, 2011
I'm having a problem getting gapps to install. I've followed the directions and burned the image then copied over the CM7 (nightly -86) and gapps zip files. It installs CM7 and looks like it is installing gapps, but when I boot into CM7, the apps are missing, i.e. no market, no maps, etc.

Any ideas on what could cause this?

EDIT: MY fault for not reading carefully. I didn't realize that Google Apps would download themselves. I thought they were in the zip file I copied over.

-----------------------------------

Just a note on my experience with micro SD cards: I have a Kingston 2 Gb uSD and just purchased a SanDisk 8 Gb. I followed this procedure with the 2 Gb card and had no trouble (didn't try to install the Gapps at that time). Cm7 ran smoothly and so fast that I couldn't even tell that it wasn't running on emmc. Yesterday, I followed the procedure for the SanDisk 8 Gb, and it seemed to me that it was running more slowly than with the Kingston 2 Gb, and I had a force close of the set-up routine. I'm not sure that that wasn't my fault though. I don't know what class my cards are, but I suspect that they are class 2 simply because nowhere does it say on either what class they are. So I've found the smaller Kingston uSD performed better. Just some anecdotal evidence.

EDIT: Indeed, my SanDisk 8 Gb card is Class 4.

Also, I haven't seen it mentioned, but this installer partitions the uSD card. Beware! If you want to use this card as a regular uSD card in the future, you will have to delete the partitions and reformat the card. Simply reformatting it will not do. You will end up with a mighty small uSD card.

To remove the partitions easily, use MiniTools Partition Wizard Home Edition which you can get for free at download.com. Be careful that any re-partitioning you do is done on the uSD card and not on your hard drive!

Last edited:

pustyak

May 10, 2011
I have CM7 up and running almost flawlessly on an uSD card. After having played with it for a couple of days, I still have some questions.

1. How to put the "Home" icon on the task bar with the other Android icons? I know the n button is home, but sometimes it is convenient to have it on the task bar.

2. CM7 is installed on the uSD card. When I read the system info such as memory used, etc., to what is this refering? The built-in memory or the SD card?

3. Where are apps that I downloaded from the market put? On the uSD or the main internal memory?

4. Suppose I want to put music on the uSD card. Do I just find the biggest partition, and drop it there?

5. Suppose I have an *.apk. Where do I put it, and do I delete it after I install it (don't know if it is like a setup file or the app itself)?

Oh, yeah, I forgot one that has been bugging me:

6. I never get the lock screen/slider screen. My screen just blanks and wakes up. I've tried different things, but haven't found a remedy yet. Anyone else have this problem?

Last edited:

pustyak

May 10, 2011
You need to explore the settings, especially the CM7-specific settings - just about everything you mentioned has a setting for it...

Actually, really very little in the settings answers these questions, and I've been searching for going on 3 days. I can set the type of gesture on the lockscreen, but no where does it give me the option to set the lockscreen when the screen turns off. I never get a lock screen, and I can't figure out how to turn this on because it is not in the settings that set up the gestures. Even the stock has a lock screen.

Also, I still don't know the answer to what is the internal memory and what is the sd card because I don't know if it knows that it is on the sd card or if it thinks it is on the internal memory. As far as where it puts apps, it is set on something called automatic with the option to change to either internal or external memory, but I still don't know what it calls the internal or external memory since it (the OS) is sitting out on an SD card. Perhaps everything is relative to where it is?

Nothing in the settings tells me where to put an *.apk. From past experience, I know that I can put it in root and open it, but somehow I don't think that is the way it is supposed to be, and it just clutters up the root. Also, can the APK be deleted after the app is installed?

I do think that once I came upon a setting that puts the "home" button back on the task bar, but I can't even find that now. I've been through the settings multiple times, and perhaps I'm just missing it.

TabletConnect

Aug 4, 2010
Just wanted to thank you JP for the nice guide. I was running CM7 off of an SD card but didn't like it too much due to some lag because of the card I was using. The install guide was very clear and easy to follow. I finally took the plunge and installed CM7 on emmc and added an overclock kernel. More responsive and what I was looking for in a tablet. And just installed the market version of Netflix.....am a very happy camper now.......keep up the great work!

Do you have a link that explains how to install CM7 on the emmc? I have been running CM7 off the SD card but have lag and some force close. Thanks

pustyak

May 10, 2011
You need to explore the settings, especially the CM7-specific settings - just about everything you mentioned has a setting for it...

I thank you and admit that you were right because I found the answers to the "home" button and lock screen issues in the settings. Still can't figure out what the SD OS is calling internal memory.

Missing "Home" button on the status bar:

Settings ---> Cyanogenmod Settings ---> Tablet Tweaks ---> Choose soft buttons

Missing Lock Screen:

Settings ---> Cyanogenmod Settings ---> Tablet Tweaks

Then uncheck disable lock screen.

pustyak

May 10, 2011
Do you have a link that explains how to install CM7 on the emmc? I have been running CM7 off the SD card but have lag and some force close. Thanks

Here's the link for installing CM7 on the emmc:

[GUIDE] Install CM7, Overclock kernel and Clockworkmod to EMMC (Updated:5/24/11) - xda-developers

As far as installing on the SD card, if you are having lag and force closes, maybe your SD card is too slow. I've found that smaller cards or larger SanDisk cards of class 4 or higher work well for me.

TabletConnect

Aug 4, 2010
I found out that for those of us who have the newer Nook Color (with blue dot on the box) with the new partitions: we cannot install CM7 on the emmc unless you follow a hack. This is from the XDA forums:

"B+N have made a change as to how they partition the internal storage space on the nook. New nooks are now shipping with new partitions and you can identify these as they have a blue sticker on the box.

Old partitions: 1GB for data (i.e. apps), 5GB for media (books/music/whatever else)
New partitions: 5GB for data, 1GB for media (if you need more media space you use your sdcard)

With clockworkmod recovery 3.0.2.8 there is a "bug" that doesn't allow formatting of a data partition bigger than 1.9GB so currently you can't use CWM to flash ANY custom ROM (inc. CM7).

Current options for installing CM7 are:
1) Be patient, an updated CWM should be here any day, so just run stock for now..
2) Follow this guide http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1094371 to repartition your newer nook partitions into the older 1GB data/5GB media, and then go back to the top and follow my guide. If you want to repartition using the .zips in DeanGibson's thread, you can flash them using the CWM SD you make in steps 1+2 of my guide above, then go on and flash CM7."

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I have CM7 up and running almost flawlessly on an uSD card. After having played with it for a couple of days, I still have some questions.

1. How to put the "Home" icon on the task bar with the other Android icons? I know the n button is home, but sometimes it is convenient to have it on the task bar.

This is actually covered in the first post under extra setup.

2. CM7 is installed on the uSD card. When I read the system info such as memory used, etc., to what is this refering? The built-in memory or the SD card?

When installing CM7 on SD card it creates its own partitions for internal memory and another partition for a virtual SD card so that everything is contained on the SD card and your reall internal memory on the device will not be touched. This way you still have the full functionality for apps that require an SD card. Even though all of CM7 is really on the SD card, the part that is labled SD card in the explorer is a virtual SD card.

3. Where are apps that I downloaded from the market put? On the uSD or the main internal memory?

In File Manager the apks are stored in /system/app. These are on the partition of the SD card that is treated as internal memory. (You can also access the actual eMMC of the device from File Manager. If you do this you will change the files on the actual device and could mess things up if you don't know what you are doing. Proceed with cuation sice you are no longer containing yourself to the SD card files).

4. Suppose I want to put music on the uSD card. Do I just find the biggest partition, and drop it there?

Since everything is technically running from the SD card it doesn't matter if you place the files on the "internal" memory or the virtual SD card. In that case yes, you probably want to use the larger of the two spaces.

5. Suppose I have an *.apk. Where do I put it, and do I delete it after I install it (don't know if it is like a setup file or the app itself)?

See #3 above. Leave the apks, don't delete them.

Oh, yeah, I forgot one that has been bugging me:

6. I never get the lock screen/slider screen. My screen just blanks and wakes up. I've tried different things, but haven't found a remedy yet. Anyone else have this problem?

Sounds like you found it. All of those sorts of setup items can be found by looking through the Settings menus.

JP

Trankster

Jan 28, 2011
I installed the CM7 Bootable SD and dual boot so that I could use either the stock Nook reader and apps or CM7. Dual boot and CM7 are working well.

I copied pictures, music, video and free ebook files to the CM7 SD card. However, I find the stock Nook reader and file folders no longer access the SD card books, pictures, videos etc. Is there a way to make these files available to both EMMC and CM7-Bootable SD other than duplicating? Also, according to EMMC there is only around 100mb or space available on the card, when it is actually > 5gb in CM7. (Apologies if this is addressed elsewhere.) Thanks.

Last edited: