How to convert Acer W500 to an A500

mongoosedah

Jan 6, 2012
I bought an acer tablet not knowing that it had windows 7 on it and I was wondering if anyone knew how to change it over to the android 3.2 os instead of windows 7 please help?????

mickeyjun

Dec 19, 2011
AHA! I got it to work, Acer W500 running both windows7 and Android 4.0.3. - the best of both worlds. There are a few issues, but I think most of these issues will/can be resolved once the video card conflict is resolved. Here's a quick list of issues: video flickers from time to time, camera force closes, many high quality graphics applications and games do not open, and the screen becomes unreadable after the unit wakes up from sleep. Besides these, the android is working great: the wifi is stable, multi-touch screen is very responsive (upto 4 points), sound, and multi-tasking.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
AHA! I got it to work, Acer W500 running both windows7 and Android 4.0.3. - the best of both worlds. There are a few issues, but I think most of these issues will/can be resolved once the video card conflict is resolved. Here's a quick list of issues: video flickers from time to time, camera force closes, many high quality graphics applications and games do not open, and the screen becomes unreadable after the unit wakes up from sleep. Besides these, the android is working great: the wifi is stable, multi-touch screen is very responsive (upto 4 points), sound, and multi-tasking.
Because they are designed for the TEGRA 2 CPU which the A500 does not have. To find an emulator is difficult.

Correction: I meant to say the W500 doesn't have. Actually the auto correct made the mistake I typed W500 now ten times and auto-correction changed it to A500.

Last edited:

diiorio

Dec 21, 2011
THe hack process results in a slow unit and not workign right.

Nvidia designs specific cores for Android devices. THen there are the offset lower 3d cpu types.

ATI is now making cpu/gpu hybrids for windows based tabs.

THe problem comes in gaming. Games made for Android won't function right on the w500, and vice versa.

A500's use the Nvidia Tegra 2 revision 2

W500 uses the AMD C-50/HD6250 Fusion Combo.

Last edited:

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
THe hack process results in a slow unit and not workign right.

Nvidia designs specific cores for Android devices. THen there are the offset lower 3d cpu types.

ATI is now making cpu/gpu hybrids for windows based tabs.

THe problem comes in gaming. Games made for Android won't function right on the w500, and vice versa.

A500's use the Nvidia Tegra 2 revision 2

W500 uses the AMD C-50/HD6250 Fusion Combo.

More or less what I wanted to say.

diiorio

Dec 21, 2011
I'm testing Onlive's Onlive Desktop for Android now. Works very nice in real time. For ability to run custom non Microsoft and authorized programs you will have to pay, but Office programs on it are free.

Gives you acess to a windows 7 desktop on an android phone or tablet. I however must stress, you really need a 10" tab to see things well, especially dealing with MS power point and Excel.