How To Copy Files With Long Filenames To Redmi Note4

rupeshforu3

Jan 31, 2013
Hi I am Rupesh from India and yesterday I have bought xiomi redmi note 4 which has 64 internal memory and snap Dragon processor. I have some music files in my pc and I want to transfer them to internal memory of my phone.

At present I have installed Windows 8.1 pro on my pc. when I connect the phone to the computer using original usb cable provided the phone is displaying message as connected for charging only and tap for other options and when I tap there's no entry for usb mass storage.

As the phone is connected in mtp mode file transfer is very slow and also when I try to recopy a directory from pc to phone it is copying all files again instead of skipping already done.

I have tried copying with other tools in Windows like tera copy, rich copy, rockdils unstoppable copier etc., but there's no use I mean I am unable to copy as I can't find entry of the phone like redmi note 4. Some of the tools specified above can transfer long filenames but they are expecting a path starting with drive letter like d:/

In order to mount internal memory as usb mass storage the phone needs to be rooted but when I try to root the device my device warranty may become invalid.

Please suggest how to copy files with long filenames to my phone internal memory.

Regards,
Rupesh.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
The entire reason MTP is the default transfer method in Android is that it doesn't render widgets and apps with data on the MicroSD card unusable while connected to the PC. As you already figured out, if you want UMS you have to root, which will void your warranty. Thing is, you shouldn't need to root to accomplish what you're looking to do.

I know I can copy items with long file names to my Nexus 6 without requiring any added software and without requiring UMS, under both Windows 7 and Windows 10. Keep in mind that with long filenames, the directory structure is considered part of the filename. The total cannot exceed 255 characters in length on Windows. Thus, if you have nested your audio files several folders deep, like I do, the file may refuse to copy even though filename.mp3 itself is less than the maximum.

Provide an example file name, including its path, so we can see what's going on.

P. S. You don't need to announce who you are on every post. We know who you are. :)