how to disconnect usb drive

evan.tjahyadi

Aug 24, 2011
i would like to disconnect my usb , how to do it right? just unplug it directly ? i didn't find a windows way , like "safely remove".. thx for your help.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
You can just pull the plug, as long as you are not using any files from the device.

Android, and even windows these days, mount usb devices in what is called synchronous mode or quick removal mode.

evan.tjahyadi

Aug 24, 2011
You can just pull the plug, as long as you are not using any files from the device.

Android, and even windows these days, mount usb devices in what is called synchronous mode or quick removal mode.

thx for the explanation.

elsuirad

Jul 28, 2011
it's plug-n-play. Just pull it out after you use it. just keep in mind that there's no program running on your tablet before unplugging/pulling it out.

kentuckyrandy

Aug 5, 2011
Close out of the programs that are using the usb device, as every said above, Make sure you are on the desktop and the drive is NOT blinking. I have noticed that mine will sometimes blink a few seconds after doing this. If its blinking, its accessing files. Just wait until the blinking stops. You can't damage any hardware, but could corrupt the files it is accessing.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Any blinking you see when not using a file manager or playing a video/music is simply the device scanner that is built into android. As soon as you plug it in, and after any writes, it scans the drive looking for files it knows how to deal with. It builds thumb nails, etc but these are stored on your internal drive. So you can safely ignore the blinking. Its read-only blinking, and not a problem.

Synchronous mode (quick removal mode) means that any time you copy something TO or FROM the drive, say with a file manager, when the software indicates that the operation is done, the drive has completed the work, closed the files, updated the fat, and is ready for removal.

Every block written to the USB is followed by a FAT update, buffer flush, and its safe to remove.

Here is a page that explains it better from the windows world point of view. Every modern operating system uses the Quick Removal method these days, Windows, Linux, Mac. Almost everything drummed into us over the years about safely remove is obsolete.

Note: If you set performance mode in Windows as the above link mentions, you MUST to use safely remove. From personal experience, performance mode can make a HUGE speed difference when copying big files (movies) to USB, but its just not worth the risk.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Ice - great answer!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Tablet Forum

elsuirad

Jul 28, 2011
you can do that on laptop and desktop pc's.

But can you do that also on any tablet?

is there any icon or can you see anywhere on Tablet if it's safe to unplug the USB HDD / USB Stick so that there will no corruption of files when you "just unplug" it if you thought it's safe to do that?

just curious.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
you can do that on laptop and desktop pc's.

But can you do that also on any tablet?

is there any icon or can you see anywhere on Tablet if it's safe to unplug the USB HDD / USB Stick so that there will no corruption of files when you "just unplug" it if you thought it's safe to do that?

just curious.

Ohhhhhh, someone didn't read very carefully...

Read post number 6 above.