How to do the factory reset on the Acer A500

May 29, 2012
So since my tablet has updated to ICS it will randomly shut itself off and would take several attempts to reboot. So I decided since I didn't have much else I could do I backed up what I could and decided to do a factory reset since I know that would be the next step. This has not happened before updating to ICS. Well since I did the factory reset its stuck at the Acer Screen for the last 10 minutes and in the upper left corner it says Booting recovery kernel image. Any idea on how long this is supposed to take? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you :)

Mrhelper

Apr 29, 2012
It's OK, don't worry, you have not broken anything permanently.

You have apparently accidentally activated the SD card recovery bootloader. Two of the same buttons (power, volume) are used for that, but just a little differently. You probably held the power button down too long.

Make sure you hold the buttons precisely as described, release them in the correct order, and at the correct time. (Release power after 3 seconds, continue to hold volume up until you operate the screen rotation lock switch.) It may take a few practice runs to get it right.

When you see Erasing Userdata, followed bu Erasing Cache, the system will reboot and present the initial startup screen as if you had never used the tablet.

Follow the procedure exactly as described: Acer Support: Frequently Asked Questions list for Internal Only - How do I perform a Factory Data Reset if my Acer ICONIA TAB A500 does not boot?

Last edited: