How to enable ext3 support on Chinese tablet?

laz7

Jul 16, 2012
Hi folks,

I have a chinese tablet (Titan pc8008a, which actually is a TR810) with a rockchip rk2918 cpu and android 2.3.1. I successfully rooted it and now I'm trying to install a Linux distro in the microSD card. However, when trying to install Linux in it, the installation fails because the tablet automatically remounts the ext3 partition read-only after a while (the partition on the microsd card, I mean); no matter if I mount it with read and write permissions. I investigated a bit about this behaviour and found this link: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11004608/remounting-a-stubborn-sdcard-directory-back-to-read-write, which seems to explain what is happening: apparently the Android on this tablet doesn't have ext3 support and hence it "believes" the sd card is damaged when I insert it. And though I can access it and mount it fine from the adb shell and the terminal inside the tablet, it is remounted read-only when I chroot it and try to install Linux in it.

So, the question is, is there a way to install ext3 support on the tablet. If so, how could I do it? I search the android market, but didn't find any suitable app for this (there is an app named NTFS Mounter, or something like that, but is not suitable for this device). BTW, the /system file system on this tablet is formatted in cramfs which is a read-only file system.

Another question: I found an update.img file with Android 4 that is supposed to work fine with this tablet but apparently the wifi card doesn't work with it, so I would like to know if there's a way to add the kernel module for this wifi card to this rom (as well as ext3 support). If so, how?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide (and sorry for the long post).

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Ext3 is built into the kernel, your ext3 partition is reverting to ro, cause your system is ro. You would need your kernel source to build a module for it.

Jul 24, 2012
Can you give me any info on how you rooted your tablet... I have the same cpu and am interested in rooting... thanks in advance for any advice

laz7

Jul 16, 2012
Ext3 is built into the kernel, your ext3 partition is reverting to ro, cause your system is ro. You would need your kernel source to build a module for it.

Hi, sorry for the late reply; I've been out all day.

Is there a way to mount the system rw? Or rather, is there a way to change from cramfs to yaffs? Only /system is in cramfs, btw, I don't remember what format are the other file system, but they're rw.

As for the module for the wireless card, is it possible to compile the kernel with support for this card and then copy the module to the new firmware file tree, pack it and flash the tablet with it? If yes, where exactly does android keep these modules?

Thank you in advance.

Can you give me any info on how you rooted your tablet... I have the same cpu and am interested in rooting... thanks in advance for any advice

james, have a look at this link, it's pretty easy if you have the firmware for your tablet: Rk29xx ImageTools V2.1 - SlateDroid.com (more threads in the rk2918 subforum: Rockchip RK2918 Tablets ).

Cheers.