How to extend battery life

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
One other thing I did... I set the screen time-out to be an hour. I did this originally because the 1 minute time out was annoying, but I noticed that it seemed to help the battery life. I guess leaving it on required less power than it going up and down and up and down all day long. Try it and see if it helps you. I'm curious to find out if it's just a placebo for me..

josue9

Dec 29, 2010
I used Rico's suggested profiles and I'm still testing but I think they gave at least 2 hours more..!! I'm happy!

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
I cleaned up a little and I gaineda couple of hours,,.I'm going to try to set an hour for the screen before going off, I let you know if it does anything for me.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Can you summarize the steps to do this? That thread is 13+ pages, and people are arguing about it the whole time.. What exactly worked for you?

As previously asked, can you be more specific about your process with this. Their thread has a bit of back and forth.

You need ADB installed allready on your PC, and make sure it can recognize your Nook properly.

Click on the link 'download removal' in the very first post of that thread. (It will take you to megaupload to get a zip file)

Extract everything in that file

Hook up your nook to your pc

click on the .bat file in the extracted folder

Your nook should reboot

That's it.

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
Thanks for clarification. Can you explain ADB? I've seen the term, but never looked into it.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Does anybody have a good way to do a run down test? Maybe running a timer and playing a movie on continuous loop so that we can get true comparissons between various settings?

jonesygirl

Feb 9, 2011
I know this thread is old, but I have a related question. Would a quick fix be to leave my NC in airplane mode 24/7? I see a lot of my battery usage since root is going toward cell standby. I'm not technical enough yet to mess with this ADB stuff. Airplane mode doesn't appear to affect my WiFi, will it affect anything else if I just leave airplane mode on? And will it in fact improve my battery life?

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

Abb0nz

Dec 31, 2010
Airplane mode? I didn't realize there was an airplane mode on the NC. Other than turning off the wifi.

Sent from my Nook Color

jonesygirl

Feb 9, 2011
Via elixir widget, I can toggle on airplane mode. It then turns off WiFi, but I can then toggle WiFi back on and stay in airplane mode. Not sure if its helping the battery though, because cell standby still shows up under battery usage.

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

jonesygirl

Feb 9, 2011
Thanks. I just browsed through that thread. Today I noticed that my NC took longer to charge back up than it had the past few days. Then again, I used it down to about 30%. I will now be shutting wifi off when not needed and see how that improves things.

NattyBee

Feb 13, 2011
Make sure you've turned off the cell standby and telephony services as indicated at this link:

[SCRIPT] Remove Cell Standby Service (Super Battery Life!) - xda-developers

After I rooted my nook, the battery lasted about 10 hours. After this mod, it now lasts for days.

Hey...I'm a bit new around androidforums.net, but I wanted to add (if I'm not late adding it, lol) that you can remove phone.apk and the telephony apk (sorry, offhand I forget the exact filename) uising Root Explorer...I simply renamed their file extensions to .bak and the system thinks they are no longer there...and should I need to undo this- I would just rename them back to .apk... :)

sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

NattyBee

Feb 13, 2011
I didn't take the time to read the WHOLE thread, but supposedly the idea of eliminating or removing Cell Standby to Improve Battery doesn't really work. Maybe someone with more free time can read the whole thing and fill us in...

[SCRIPT] Remove Cell Standby Service (Super Battery Life!) - xda-developers

I haven't taken time to read the entire thread yet either...but I did notice that cell standby was taking about 43% of my battery usage...so I'll keep you all informed as to how removing those 2 apk's worked for me...

sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
I did get a chance to read it... seems most people are now of the mind that this has NO effect on our nook since there's no actual cell/telephony hardware. So don't bother with it.