how to find my stolen tablet

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
I am sorry. But the hard truth is: If you did not write down the serial number, you report it to the police and the police happen to find and recover it. You are out of luck. I know that is a hard truth. The problem is even tracking software is not always a solution either.
The dangers you face are:
1. If you registered it with Google Play and a Credit Card is associated with that account. The device can acquire apps and such from the Google Play store potentially
2. If you installed Amazon App and you associated it with a Credit Card, there is the potential for that account to be compromised. Not as easy as it used to be, but still possible.
3. If you have not changed your passwords associated with email or similar accounts you have installed on the app have the potential for reading and misuse.

I would recommend you suspend the account you used with the Tablet or at least change the passwords for all relevant accounts.

capt36

Jan 26, 2013
I am sorry. But the hard truth is: If you did not write down the serial number, you report it to the police and the police happen to find and recover it. You are out of luck. I know that is a hard truth. The problem is even tracking software is not always a solution either.
The dangers you face are:
1. If you registered it with Google Play and a Credit Card is associated with that account. The device can acquire apps and such from the Google Play store potentially
2. If you installed Amazon App and you associated it with a Credit Card, there is the potential for that account to be compromised. Not as easy as it used to be, but still possible.
3. If you have not changed your passwords associated with email or similar accounts you have installed on the app have the potential for reading and misuse.

I would recommend you suspend the account you used with the Tablet or at least change the passwords for all relevant accounts.

I had mine stolen on 26Dec12. I have the serial number, and it is in the national stolen stuff database. But, the local, part-time, police would not even view the store video, saying they had more important things to do..... Really, they said that!

Anyway, the wheresmydroid app did not work for me, saying I had not linked it to gmail.....

I may also have the WiFi MAC, and Bluetooth MAC, if that were to be helpful.... I would certainly think they are floating around somewhere in a Google server, too....lol

Any hope of tracking it, using that info?

Capt36

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
If the police happen to recover the tablet, your chances of getting it back from them are better if you included the serial number in the theft report. Other than that, it's not much good. I read recently that there are thousands of stolen phones being used and the phone companies know they're stolen. As long as the phone bills get paid, they don't care and don't report them to the police. As you found out, the police probably wouldn't bother to follow up anyway.