How to force an app to load onto the memory card not internal memory?

bettyhills

Apr 1, 2011
Bought a temperamental 7" Craig Wireless 4GB Tablet. Because it is so clogged with worthless apps from the manufacturer, only 108 MB remain free inside for adding apps.

I cannot get Overdrive.com from the Public Library to load, receiving an "out of space error." There is an empty 8GB MicroSDHC, user-added card in the Tablet.

Does anyone know of a way I can force Overdrive.com or any other app for that matter to load onto the external memory card instead of into the internal memory of the Tablet?

Craig says none of the pre-installed apps may be uninstalled. I've tried without success. However, if anyone knows of a cleaner app that will selectively remove them to clear out space for other apps, I would be grateful.

TIA

bettyhills

Apr 1, 2011
Oh my goodness! Unbelievable! Thank you so much.

I'm going to explain how my mistakes actually worked to do the installation easily in case it might help some other beginner. I read every single page and post in the entire thread to which you directed me before trying to root the tablet, and decided on version 4.2 as it sounded stable.

I have no idea how to get to the root of the tablet, but placed the update.img file on the 8GB MicroSD card in the tablet intending to take it over a Linux machine and try. As soon as Windows XP completed the file transfer from the PC through the USB cable to the MicroSD card in the tablet, the Craig asked if I wanted to update. I took a chance, said yes, yanked the USB cable as the Forum directed, and let the update proceed.

This was not supposed to happen. The update.img was supposed to be in the root of the tablet not on the MicroSD card. The Craig crunched away with warnings on the screen not to remove the USB cord. The cable was already gone and had no bad effect. When it was finished, I forced it to shutdown by holding down the power off button and turned it off. Then turned it on, held down the power on button until Android man appeared and gave the tablet plenty of time to boot up. It took longer than usual but was well worth the wait. (The Craig moved the update.img file off the MicroSd card.)

The Craig screen is clean of the trash apps. WiFi is working great. Market, a phone Device, Contacts, and Maps are the only icons on the tablet top.

I am so excited I can hardly contain myself. Thank you Shadowreaper! Thank you xaueious! Thank you all here.

Last edited:

bettyhills

Apr 1, 2011
I must correct my own previous post because after testing the rooted Craig, hardware problems were discovered. It turns out that the Craig described above was broken, and could not see the tablet's Internal memory under any circumstances. I returned it for a Craig that is working.

Windows Explorer in WinXP now sees both the Craig's Internal Memory and the MicroSD card via the USB cable. I am able to copy the update.img to the internal memory of the tablet following Shadowreaper's instructions. That, of course, is the correct way to root the Craig.

To anyone else who cannot find the internal root memory of your Craig, it is likely broken. Mark it defective (to save someone else a hassle) and return it to the store for exchange or refund.