How to get Android Market apps without Rooting

WolfmanRobby

Mar 12, 2011
OK I just got my G Tablet today and really didn't want to root. So, after playing around with it, I've got Market Apps installed on it.

I did a search of the forums here for "Bluetooth File Transfer" and didn't get any hits. So, here's what I call a "Bluetooth Sideload"----

This will only work with free apps. Sorry, you'll still need to ROOT your G-Tablet for paid apps. (And don't think I'm just saying that to cover my tail. In the "Bluetooth File Transfer" app, any PAID app has a LOCK on it and it will not transfer. So, no this can't be used to get "Bootleg" copies of paid apps.)

-You must have another Android device that is able to access the market. (My phone is a Motorola Atrix 4G).
-Install all the apps you are wanting to use to the 1st device from the Market
-Install the app "Bluetooth File Transfer" on both devices (It's in the market and in the Handago market we have access to)
-Make sure your devices are paired in Bluetooth settings (And, it goes without saying that BT should be turned on for both devices) and leave the "Bluetooth File Transfer" app open on the G-Tablet
-On that 1st device, click on the Menu button. Choose MORE, and then "Send Applications" from the menu.
-Check all the apps you want to send to your G-Tablet
-Hit the SEND button at the bottom.
-On the next screen, pick your G-Tablet from the settings.

The APK files will be stored on your G-tablet (/mnt/sdcard/).

Just find them with your favorite file manager and launch them like you would any other APK you side loaded.

I just transferred about 10 apps in one push. It was SLOW, it took 30-45 mins (some of the apps were 3 and 4 MB each), but they all came over to the G-Tablet and installed. And, neither my Atrix or my G-tablet are rooted.

I was surprised that the battery drain was very minimal on both devices.

Last edited:

WolfmanRobby

Mar 12, 2011
Well, it's not that I'm worried about rooting. I rooted my old Archos.

But, I just bought 2 of these G tablets, one for me, one for my Fiance. She lives 500 miles away and I don't want to root her's. Not to mention, I want to keep mine just like hers so I can answer her questions. So, I really wanted to find a way to make this work.

And, guess work, I got TANGO to install this way! The version on the Handango site is old and won't load. But, pushing the current version I installed to my Atrix from the Market over, it installed and logged me in. I didn't make a test call, but it came up, logged into my account and was ready to go.