How to get the most out of a coby tablet.

juandamejia

May 14, 2012
For many of us this is the introduction to the android world.
We know this is a minor tablet with some potential. Following the instructions from steev and many other people, we had successfully rooted our devices and now we have access to the google play and unlocked many of the features locked in coby's firmware.
There's no real support from the manufacturer, and we know our tablets are going to be collecting dust in less than a year if we don't share our findings.
This is my third tablet (7042-4) and is working perfect. The first one had a problem with the speaker, then I got one with the freezing and rebooting problems. (install angry birds space before rooting and if the tablet freezes when playing, don't spend much time rooting; you will never fix your problems). It's a hardware failure, return it inmediatly.
The idea in this post is to make a data base of our findings for this unknown tablet so we can make it a better device.
If you had discovered a way to make the browser to work fast with no error windows, if you know how to solve the crash in the google search, or how to make any app to work fine, post it here.
Your findings will help us a lot.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I am having no problems with my 7042 or my 8042, so I am getting the most our of them. What is Google searçh?

juandamejia

May 14, 2012
I am having no problems with my 7042 or my 8042, so I am getting the most our of them. What is Google searçh?
Thanks vampirefo, the Google search crashing in my tablet is the quick search app. The white google letters at the top left of the screen.
When I hit any letter the app crashes, unless I disable the google suggestions in the app settings.
I need to use the suggestions because this is not my language and I misspell many words.
It works fine in the browser, but for some reason my browser is extremely slow and sometimes I takes more than 30 secs. loading the default google page. Some other times it loads in 2 or 3 secs. I tried deleting the browsing history, cache and cookies but I can't fix the problem. I'm sure is not my wifi connection because any other app using the Internet like hbo go or Netflix work as good as my ipad2 without any pause or interruption.
Thanks again.

juandamejia

May 14, 2012
Thanks never noticed that before just tried it works just fine asked what browser I wanted to use, then went to web and found it. Have you tried my rom?
I haven't tried your ROM yet. Its my weekend project.

Last edited:

JazzMastaJim

Jun 6, 2012
The MID8042 is my first Android device. I'm the keyboardist/lead singer in a local Classic Rock cover band, and I bought the tablet as an inexpensive way to display lyrics, etc. during gigs. It works great! After putting all the lyrics for each set into a PDF file -- one file per set -- all I have to do is sit the tablet on a stand on my keyboard and tap the screen to change pages. Beats the heck out of a music stand & notebook!

As for the browser, I installed the Amazon Android app store, from which I downloaded & installed Opera. It's much faster, more responsive, and more "touch-accurate" than the included browser, as well as rendering text more clearly. After installing Opera, browsing immediately went from painfully slow & frustrating to enjoyable.

juandamejia

May 14, 2012
If your screen is hipersensitive (you can't scroll down in the app store without clicking two or three times undesired apps or you have to go back in your browser because you were redirected to the links in pictures or underlined words) I suggest buying a screen protector, i'm using one that i trimmed down from my ipad2 and that solved my problems 70%

cqlt

Jun 20, 2012
I just got my MID8042. Does it cost to download Amazon Apps Store? Was reading how you may get charged by you carrier ( At&t ,verizon, etc) but that wouldnt apply to a tablet that you are using your internet carrier, right? Want to make sure I dont get a extra charge besides the app that I purchase.

I signed into Amazon and tried downloading but nothing happed yet. Sure wish we had Google play. I want to install Overdrive Media Console.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I just got my MID8042. Does it cost to download Amazon Apps Store? Was reading how you may get charged by you carrier ( At&t ,verizon, etc) but that wouldnt apply to a tablet that you are using your internet carrier, right? Want to make sure I dont get a extra charge besides the app that I purchase.

I signed into Amazon and tried downloading but nothing happed yet. Sure wish we had Google play. I want to install Overdrive Media Console.

No it doesn't cost to download apps from Amazon Apps Store, as far as Google play we have it, LOL

cqlt

Jun 20, 2012
Wow, cant believe how fast you answered me. What a great forum. Thank you.

So how did you get Google Play? Through the Amazon download? I am new at this

Virgil2U

Sep 1, 2012
I don't know what you mean by instructions by steev as the ones I had read from him were not accurate as to what he had put out for my Coby Kyros MID8042-4 and I am not the only one who has commented on this effect when trying to go by his instructions. I was able to finally get into the recovery mode but not from steev's instructions but from another member of this forum. I have a MID8042-4 and would like to be able to get the google play installed and also flash as well. If you have any suggestions for me and other's like me then please help us.