[HOW TO] HBO Go on Acer A100

D

dvdcatalyst

I was forced to use my iPad3 in order to be able to watch HBO Go on a decent-sized screen. For months, I've been trying updates on a variety of my different Android devices, without luck. The latest update (which added ICS phone support) finally works :)
trans.gif

First some screenshots:

(Stock, unrooted Acer A100, running official ICS)

(HBO Go installed on A100)

(Series category of HBO Go on A100)

(HBO Go Game of Thrones episodes on A100 Android Tablet)

(single Game of Thrones episode view on A100)

(Actual playback of HBO Go on A100)

Pretty cool huh?

Here is what I did:

1. installed the latest HBO Go from the Google Play market on my Droid X

2. installed Astro File Manager from the Google Play market on the Droid X as well.

3. ran the Application Backup of Astro and backed up the HBO Go APK

4. copied it over to the Acer A100 and installed it (make sure unknown sources is enabled in the settings)

5. started HBO Go, setup my account, and it worked.

* I did not try and install it on the Acer A100 directly from the PlayStore. It might work, it might not.

* I tried using an HDMI cable, but HBO Go complained that HDMI is currently not supported.

* I also tried installing the APK on my rooted ICS Xoom 3G, and it doesn't run at all.

* I also tried installing it on my Kindle Fire, and HBO Go still complains it is not supported on that device.

I do not have an A500, but my guess is that it would work on that as well.

I'm just glad that now I don't have to fight with my cat tonight (he is totally into ipadgameforcats) when I want to watch the new Game of Thrones episode.

Enjoy :)

BDiddy

Aug 19, 2011
FYI, now that the A100 is updated to ICS, HBO Go can be installed directly from Google Play.