How to increase Nook Color Boot times running CM7 of mSD Card?

CRS1

Aug 28, 2011
Hello All,

I have a Nook Color that I bought a few months ago and from the day I bought it a slapped a 32GB SanDisk Class 4 mSD card in it and loaded CM7 Stable. It has been running great! The performance is good and I'm very happy with it.

The only issue that I have is that it takes between 3-5 minutes to boot up when I 1st turn it on. Is there a way to fix that? Everything else runs flawless.

Any suggestions would be great. I looked around to see what I could modify, but I can't find anything. :confused:

I have a bunch of apps in the Nook.

Thanks!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Don't turn it off :)

That seems a little long but it does take a couple of minutes to boot from SD. Even the EMMC boot takes a bit. Seriously though, if you don't have to power all the way down then don't and it isn't an issue. Reboots from the power menu don't take as long.

CRS1

Aug 28, 2011
Could it be an App that I have that slows the boot time?

How long should the boot time be on average?

patruns

Jun 4, 2011
What version of CM7 are you running? Later nightlies improved the boot time to some degree.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I just timed a boot up of about 1 minute booting from rooted 1.01 on internal emory to CM7 RC1 on the SD card. I would say more than 3 minutes is too long.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
What kind of SD card do you have? I heard SanDisk is good for the Nook.

SanDisk, Class 4, 32GB in the OP. Which yes, that should be what you want but there is no way to know for sure without testing the card. They key part is the small block write speed.

In any case, do you have a need to frequently power all the way off for some reason?

CRS1

Aug 28, 2011
SanDisk, Class 4, 32GB in the OP. Which yes, that should be what you want but there is no way to know for sure without testing the card. They key part is the small block write speed.

In any case, do you have a need to frequently power all the way off for some reason?

No, I don't need to power off completely, but I'm more curious as to what is causing the long boot time when 1st powered on. Could it be an app I installed? This didn't happen when I 1st loaded CM7 on mSD.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
It is possible that it's an app that has some how tied up system memory. You can check by going into Settings>Applications>Running services and see if anything is hogging memory.

CRS1

Aug 28, 2011
It is possible that it's an app that has some how tied up system memory. You can check by going into Settings>Applications>Running services and see if anything is hogging memory.

Ok, I will look and see what I can come up with.