How To Install a Custom ROM from an SD Card and/or Using the Recovery Utility

RedDeer

May 3, 2012
This Thread is Set Up To Explore The Idea Of Installing a ROM from the SD Card and/or using Systen Recovery utility
Coby Generation 3 / ICS Tablets

(Looking for a Solution that does not require the use of a computer PC (everything done from tablet) )

(Alternatively, How to prepare a custom ROM for installation via SD Card and/or using Systen Recovery utility

I remember last year when we were tryig Root and get Android Market for the old Craig 738b
We emailed, cried and begged until Craig finally posted the Stock firmware ROM.

Craig also posted Installation Instructions:
..1) Place downloaded firmware image file (update.img) on microSD card
..2) Shove microSD into the tablets slot.
..3) A pop-up notice asks -- Do you want to apply this Update.--- YES --- Firmware Update Installed (Replaced)

CRAIG Website with posted Firmware Image and Install Instructions. HERE .. Craig Electronics Inc. ..... Install Instructions

---------------------------------------------------------------
**** I tried this. I Renamed the MID9742.img file to (update.img), put on microSD, would not install.
---------------------

Second method, INSTALL FIRMWARE USING THE TABLET'S RECOVERY UTILITY (Vol+ AND Power)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In this method, the ROM has a .zip extension (named update.zip)
You enter Recovery Mode
choose to "apply update from external storage"
Selected the update.zip --- OK --- and ROM is installed.

I TRIED THIS METHOD WITH NO SUCCESS (Don't Try, may Brick your Tablet)

I renamed the ROM from 9742.img to 9742.zip
Entered the Recovery Mode (Vol+ AND Power)
Chose to "apply update from external storage"

Hit OK - And this is what showed on the Tablet's screen:

--- Install /sdcard
Finding update package ...'\
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted. .....

The attempt to apply the ROM using this method failed, So I just restarted my tablet. No problem.

[ TWO EXAMPLES USING THIS METHOD ]

Ainol NOVO7 Basic Tablet PC Android 4.0 ICS Firmware Update

Android ICS 4.0.1 firmware for Ainol Novo7 Basic tablet

ALL THAT TO SAY IT WOULD BE NICE IF THERE WAS AN ALTERNATE METHOD TO INSTALL CUSTOM ROM.
(that does not rely on the use of a PC or LiveSuit)
PLEASE, DO NOT REPLY UNLESS YOU HAVE SOMETHING VALUABLE TO ADD.
(no general comments, please)
I dont want to Junk Up this Potentially Important thread. Thank You

Last edited:

cyrius

Apr 25, 2012
Thanks for your great work, RedDeeper...
I think the system image you use for updating from SD card has not the right format. Update action from recovery menu seems to use a specific (update.) zip file which :
- must be signed (signature tools exist, but need of coby specific keys to do it if device not rooted)
- has a specific script to be run (in order to files/image copy,etc). see this post
That being said, which files do we have to include into this update file : boot.img,bootloader.img, recovery.img, system folder etc ?

Last edited:

kahrloz

Oct 17, 2013
how did you get the mid9747.img file???? the zip file has to be like this $Untitled.jpg

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Interesting thread. I don't think coby ever realeased any update files. Pretty sure the 9742.img file the op was referring to is the livesuite image. But a signed update file in the format you posted could work thru recovery.

Last edited:

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Yes, but Coby could have released images themselves. Ainol did.

But then you'd have to have official model versions and other added complications. They could have made a 9742, 9742a, 9742x. Coby kinda liked to wing it in their hareware changes. Its a very competitive market. Documentation costs $.

Last edited:

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
The tablet market is so competitive, not sure anything would have helped. In the Livesuite certainly didn't.

Last edited: