[How To] Install CyanogenMod / Phiremod Builds to Internal Storage

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Or you can manually update the CWR kernel through adb

I have copied the portion from the XDA forums:

kernel md5: ce1db01eaebfe9615cf87f9a73d74eed

From either a rooted rom or clockwork recovery issue the following commands via adb (usb)

Code:
adb shell busybox mount / -o rw,remount
adb shell busybox mkdir /boot
adb shell busybox mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /boot
adb push kernel /boot/uRecImg
adb shell busybox umount /boot
After you manually update the kernel to ext4 support you no longer need to use the manual method for subsequent upgrades. Upgrading via RomManager will work since it will not touch the kernel.

Please note that this kernel is named uRecImg. This is only used when you boot into recovery. A separate kernel image (uImage is used for your rom and should be updated when you install your rom or if you want to install an overclocked kernel.

Please don't use an overclocked kernel for recovery. There will be no advantages. backup and restore will still take forever!

Had to do this last night myself.

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
Which version of Rom Manager you were on ?

I am in CM7, RM v.3.0.1.1, I can go with this method ?

using EXT4 SD Card, quite working well for me as of now

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
3.0.1.1 (I am running the latest ROM Manager and CWR as of last night)

I wanted to see how they handled running in both B&N version and phiremod in a dualboot setup

jinnijinn

Jan 31, 2011
Well, my restore failed last night, so I took the opportunity to practice going all the way back to 1.0.1 BN stock. Then I rooted again, and installed CWR 3.0.1.0 and Rom Mgr (from the market, the latest version: 3.0.1.2). Per the 'Installing CWR' thread, I did not select (old) when flashing CWR.

Powered down after flashing CWR, then powered up and used Rom Mgr to boot into recovery. CWR version showing in RM and CWR is 3.0.1. Tried to do a backup; got "can't mount /system." Rebooted, went to RM, reflashed CWR, selecting (old) this time. Got an error that the flash was not successful. At that point RM showed 3.0.0.5 as most recent recovery. On reboot into recovery, version still showed in CWR as 3.0.1. Still can't mount /system when I attempt a backup.

I did go ahead and sideload the 1.1 zip, which installed just fine, but am otherwise at a halt till I can get CWR to do backups again. Any ideas out there on how to accomplish that?

jinnijinn

Jan 31, 2011
Update: I just re-flashed CWR in RM (selecting (old)), and this time no error. Powered down, then back up, rebooted into recovery and the CWR version shows as 3.0.0.5 (matching the version in RM). Backing up now, as it did not throw the "can't mount /system" error this time. Yay!

Even though going back to stock and then reloading everything took some time, I'm once again struck by how much more I learn when things go wrong than when they go right. :)

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Your experience is the issue that I have tried to bring up to the CWR folks at XDA but keep getting shut out, they insist the (old) version doesn't work and that the new Nook Color device does it all, but time and time again I see folks like you that have to use the (old) to get CWR working. grrrrr

jinnijinn

Jan 31, 2011
I'm confident it will be de-mystified soon. :) The upside is that I've cleaned up apps and tidied up my sdcard as part of all this. My NC is sailing along smoothly--and faster since I re-installed the OC kernel.

BTW, congrats on the new mod hat. :)

cvhovey

Mar 5, 2011
Okay, let's see here, coupla things:

1) Tinypic image in OP Step 5 is missing, but I'm guessing that just showed a snapshot of what the directory structure would/should look like on the sdcard, right?

2) I flashed the latest CWR v3.0.1.0 which has allowed me to switch (flash nandroids) between rooted B&N 1.1.0 and phiremod nook BETA2 (which a friend 'fixed' the black-on-black for me as a flashable update ... based on the limits of that [Samsung Galaxy?] ROM base) so backups are kept on bootable mSD compatible with CWR v3.0.1.0. Given the above batting around old vs. new CWR, the jist seems to be that I'd have to flash back to the previous CWR to be compatible with CM7?

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Okay, let's see here, coupla things:

1) Tinypic image in OP Step 5 is missing, but I'm guessing that just showed a snapshot of what the directory structure would/should look like on the sdcard, right?

2) I flashed the latest CWR v3.0.1.0 which has allowed me to switch (flash nandroids) between rooted B&N 1.1.0 and phiremod nook BETA2 (which a friend 'fixed' the black-on-black for me as a flashable update ... based on the limits of that [Samsung Galaxy?] ROM base) so backups are kept on bootable mSD compatible with CWR v3.0.1.0. Given the above batting around old vs. new CWR, the jist seems to be that I'd have to flash back to the previous CWR to be compatible with CM7?

If you are running the latest CWR (v3.0.1.0) then you are already ready for CM7 (or any other ext4 based ROM). Do a complete nand backup of your current working device, then be sure to wipe cache and dalvik, format /system /data, then flash CM7. You'll be good to go.

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
@cvhovey - apologizes, will fix the image soon.

zetlorf

Nov 17, 2010
Hi, i have 1 question:
I'm running the latest CWR v.3.0.1.0 on rooted B&N v.1.1.0 (Eclair 2.1), and i did a full system backup via CWMR. Now, if i install the CM7 ROM, and someday want to revert back to the rooted B&N 1.1.0 (Eclair) it is enough to do a system restore in CWMR? Or it's necessary to revert back to stock 1.0.1 and follow the rooting process again to reach rooted 1.1.0?

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
You can always revert back wherever you are easily. Go, install CM7 !

cvhovey

Mar 5, 2011
If you are running the latest CWR (v3.0.1.0) then you are already ready for CM7 (or any other ext4 based ROM). Do a complete nand backup of your current working device, then be sure to wipe cache and dalvik, format /system /data, then flash CM7. You'll be good to go.

Thanks! Just to be clear, if I flash between CM7 and Phiremod (Gingerbread versions), I can follow your steps above (while on CWR 3.0.1.0)? The reason for asking is because I've not (knowingly) flashed anything using internal storage on the NC before.

I'm assuming your above steps would also apply when switching between my current ROM (Ultimate Droid 3.1.1**) and CM7 or Phiremod? Although UD 3.1.1 touts an easy install, what was NOT stated is that it uses eMMC, at least based on what Titanium Backup now shows me. So right now I don't even know if I could flash a nandroid backup of rooted stock 1.1.0 or would have to go through the "Restoring to Stock, bye bye CM7"

**UD 3.1.1. built on Android 2.3.3 with a hefty dose of CM inspired tweaks and which required wiping SYSTEM

I've flashed a lot of ROMs on my D1 and DX, but in terms of eMMC, just call me an "eMMC Noob" so to say. I'm only guessing that CM7, Phiremod (Gingerbread versions) and UD would all be safe to flash between without compromising eMMC? But then again, what the &%$@* do I know......

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Yea, once you have CWR 3.0.1.0 running from your eMMC, then you can do a backup/restore between any rom (including the ext4 roms - ie CM7, etc). I have tested this out a few times on my NC and had success each time. ymmv, however one thing I noticed is that when I "restored" a non-ext4 rom (ie Stock 1.0.1) the CWR showed as being v3.0.0.5 and reverted back to v3.0.1.0 when i restored the cm7 backup, and vice versa. So don't freak out when trying to go BACK to cm7 and your CWR shows 3.0.0.5 - it's really still 3.0.1.0 and will restore that backup of cm7 just fine.

cvhovey

Mar 5, 2011
@faceman
Great ... soon I'll graduate from "eMMC Noob" to "Ubber Noob" then an old hand at NC. In fact, I've got my sdcard prepped and ready to load Phiremod V4.1 in a few minutes, then a CM7 nightly.