[How To] Install CyanogenMod / Phiremod Builds to Internal Storage

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
@faceman
Great ... soon I'll graduate from "eMMC Noob" to "Ubber Noob" then an old hand at NC. In fact, I've got my sdcard prepped and ready to load Phiremod V4.1 in a few minutes, then a CM7 nightly.

The idea when moving from one ROM to another THE FIRST TIME, is to do a complete wipe and install for each ROM. What I mean is this for example:

1. Starting with a stock NC --> root it, back it up with CWR
2. Starting with rooted NC --> wipe /cache /dalvik, format /system /data --> flash new rom (ie CM7), set it up, back it up
3. starting with custom ROM --> wipe /cache /dalvik, format /system /data --> flash another new rom (ie Phiremod), set it up, back it up

Now that you have 3 back ups (stock rooted, CM7, Phiremod) you can now go into CWR and move between them. It is a required step to do the wipe and formats when moving between roms though, don't forget that.

Oops, forgot to add that from any of the above steps, install all your apps and then do a complete user app backup with Titanium Backup so you can reinstall all at once when you first install a new ROM. This is one of those apps that is worth every penny you pay for the paid version.

cvhovey

Mar 5, 2011
^Thanks ... this is actually much easier than it all sounded. And it will make it easy to check in on the nightlies.

Oh, as for /dalvik, am I doing it right? EVERY time I've gone into Advanced / Wipe Dalvik, after its done, I can't do anything ... the ONLY thing I can do is hold power until shut down and then boot back into recovery. Never had that issue on my D1 or DX.

NattyBee

Feb 13, 2011
@faceman
Great ... soon I'll graduate from "eMMC Noob" to "Ubber Noob" then an old hand at NC. In fact, I've got my sdcard prepped and ready to load Phiremod V4.1 in a few minutes, then a CM7 nightly.

Ok...so the newest phiremod (4.1?) Can be loaded using CWR ext 4 correct?

sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

NattyBee

Feb 13, 2011
The idea when moving from one ROM to another THE FIRST TIME, is to do a complete wipe and install for each ROM. What I mean is this for example:

1. Starting with a stock NC --> root it, back it up with CWR
2. Starting with rooted NC --> wipe /cache /dalvik, format /system /data --> flash new rom (ie CM7), set it up, back it up
3. starting with custom ROM --> wipe /cache /dalvik, format /system /data --> flash another new rom (ie Phiremod), set it up, back it up

Now that you have 3 back ups (stock rooted, CM7, Phiremod) you can now go into CWR and move between them. It is a required step to do the wipe and formats when moving between roms though, don't forget that.

Oops, forgot to add that from any of the above steps, install all your apps and then do a complete user app backup with Titanium Backup so you can reinstall all at once when you first install a new ROM. This is one of those apps that is worth every penny you pay for the paid version.

Ok...say we use MyBackup Pro...that should be fine too right?

sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

cvhovey

Mar 5, 2011
Sorry for yet another question on this thread ... sigh.

I opted to not intall the OC kernel upfront as I wanted to first see how CM7 performs on the NC. However, I'm seeing some kernel racing ... continous 925 even when sitting idle. So I want to flash Dalingrin's OC kernel (Step 3d of Installation). All references to the kernel install are when done at same time as flashing CM7. However, if I flash it now, do I have to do that from my mSD card as well? Or can that be done from my "working/stock" sdcard? It might be helpful to clarify that, especially if one (re)flashes an OC kernel after CM7 install.

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
Oh, as for /dalvik, am I doing it right? EVERY time I've gone into Advanced / Wipe Dalvik, after its done, I can't do anything ... the ONLY thing I can do is hold power until shut down and then boot back into recovery. Never had that issue on my D1 or DX.
It is a known issue.* Nothing to worry, just hold power button, turn off and reboot into recovery again.

*for the first time when it happened with me, my heart had stopped beating.

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
Sorry for yet another question on this thread ... sigh.
np and happy to help. and also one should clarify everything before doing anything :)

I opted to not intall the OC kernel upfront as I wanted to first see how CM7 performs on the NC. However, I'm seeing some kernel racing ... continous 925 even when sitting idle.
Where you're seeing this ? And also SetCPU should bot be used with CM7, for all OC'ing settings, use default CM Settings.

So I want to flash Dalingrin's OC kernel (Step 3d of Installation). All references to the kernel install are when done at same time as flashing CM7. However, if I flash it now, do I have to do that from my mSD card as well? Or can that be done from my "working/stock" sdcard? It might be helpful to clarify that, especially if one (re)flashes an OC kernel after CM7 install.
If you have installed CWR 3.0.1.0 then you can reboot into recovery and apply OC from the stock also. If not, try EXT4 SD card. Also before applying OC rom, it is advised to wipe cache and dalvik.

xfeejayx

Feb 28, 2011
You talked me into it. jumped to CM7 last night. have a few issues

1. no youtube, but this seems like it is known and being worked on, correct?
2. the app for THIS FORUM crashes left and right. I couldn't even log on and get to this very thread to post.
3. downloaded flash player, but can't play flash anywhere. not on hulu, not on yahoo videos. any thoughts?
4.CM7 is only allowing for the three shortcuts on the bottom. I don't know how I did it, but at one point it was allowing for as many as I wanted (the three space shortcut bar was gone). How do I go back to just being able to drag as many as i want down there?

Note that instructions don't mention wiping cache or dalvik. Although I should know that already, i didn't do it last night. Going to reflash now and see if anything changes.

Mybackup pro worked like a champ to restore apps. CM7 friggin hums on this. no lag or anything.

update:
CM7 reflashed. Forum app still crashes
Can't even dowload youtube
Hulu and Yahoo videos say they are loading, then say they can't play

Last edited:

RASTAVIPER

Feb 21, 2011
np and happy to help. and also one should clarify everything before doing anything :)

Where you're seeing this ? And also SetCPU should bot be used with CM7, for all OC'ing settings, use default CM Settings.

If you have installed CWR 3.0.1.0 then you can reboot into recovery and apply OC from the stock also. If not, try EXT4 SD card. Also before applying OC rom, it is advised to wipe cache and dalvik.
About Perfomance settings.
I selected from Cyanogen Settings, in Perfomance-->CPU settings, the set on boot, after I let 300mhz at MIN and 1100 at Max.
Then ticked SET ON BOOT.Is this all?

Also upgraded to 1.1 kernel from 1, with just wiping cache (and not dalvik).So far so good.

Last edited:

xfeejayx

Feb 28, 2011
About Perfomance settings.
I selected from Cyanogen Settings, in Perfomance-->CPU settings, the set on boot, after I let 300mhz at MIN and 1100 at Max.
Then ticked SET ON BOOT.Is this all?

yes, that is all. CM should default to 'on demand' profile, but you might want to check it. It's the tab next to the frequency settings. it's nice and fast, isn't it?

Working so far, but I wouldn't make a habit of ignoring the developer's suggestions.

xfeejayx

Feb 28, 2011
what are you playing/playing it on? I'm hoping avi or rico or someone come around soon and take a look at my post. CM7 is cool and all, but with out flash and now lacking youtube, it's kind of a downer.

RASTAVIPER

Feb 21, 2011
what are you playing/playing it on? I'm hoping avi or rico or someone come around soon and take a look at my post. CM7 is cool and all, but with out flash and now lacking youtube, it's kind of a downer.
I dont think its a matter of players, since I tried all popular like QQplayer, Rockplayer or Yxplayer.
I think 720p videos are too heavy for this device.