[How To] Install CyanogenMod / Phiremod Builds to Internal Storage

cvhovey

Mar 5, 2011
Where you're seeing this ? And also SetCPU should bot be used with CM7, for all OC'ing settings, use default CM Settings.

Are you sure we are not supposed to use SetCPU at all? The only caution I've seen regarding CM7 and SetCPU is this (from Dalingrin's OP on XDA): "CM7 has overclocking under Cyanogenmod settings. DO NOT use SetCPU profiles with CM7." [boldface by me]

And in checking the CM7 nightlies thread over on the CyanogenMod Forums, there was no mention of SetCPU in the OP. In fact, the only reference I saw to SetCPU was someone posting a list of apps that worked well with CM7 early on in that thread, one of which was SetCPU ... with no further comments about it. So I just deferred to Dalingrin's mention of not using the profiles in SetCPU.

Granted, the default CM Settings can set the high, low and governor ... that alone does NOT provide a way to see how a kernel is performing (cycling speed up/down) depending on the governor selection, nor whether its racing, which is a known issue. Sometimes I like to see how ondemand vs. conservative paces the cycles (a serious but not fatal side-effect of TWEAKITIS).

As an alternative, I'm going to try (from Market) Temp+CPU V2, Cpu Gauge, and SeePU, which don't affect/control clock settings. Hopefully one of these will allow me to see how stock vs. overclock kernel is actually performing.

Last edited:

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Sorry for yet another question on this thread ... sigh.

I opted to not intall the OC kernel upfront as I wanted to first see how CM7 performs on the NC. However, I'm seeing some kernel racing ... continous 925 even when sitting idle. So I want to flash Dalingrin's OC kernel (Step 3d of Installation). All references to the kernel install are when done at same time as flashing CM7. However, if I flash it now, do I have to do that from my mSD card as well? Or can that be done from my "working/stock" sdcard? It might be helpful to clarify that, especially if one (re)flashes an OC kernel after CM7 install.

As long as the CWR on your NC is v3.0.0.6 or later (should be v3.0.1.0 by now) then you are fine to flash the kernel at any time. It's good habit to wipe the cache and dalvik when doing any rom or kernel changing.

Are you sure we are not supposed to use SetCPU at all? The only caution I've seen regarding CM7 and SetCPU is this (from Dalingrin's OP on XDA): "CM7 has overclocking under Cyanogenmod settings. DO NOT use SetCPU profiles with CM7." [boldface by me]

And in checking the CM7 nightlies thread over on the CyanogenMod Forums, there was no mention of SetCPU in the OP. In fact, the only reference I saw to SetCPU was someone posting a list of apps that worked well with CM7 early on in that thread, one of which was SetCPU ... with no further comments about it. So I just deferred to Dalingrin's mention of not using the profiles in SetCPU.

Granted, the default CM Settings can set the high, low and governor ... that alone does NOT provide a way to see how a kernel is performing (cycling speed up/down) depending on the governor selection, nor whether its racing, which is a known issue. Sometimes I like to see how ondemand vs. conservative paces the cycles (a serious but not fatal side-effect of TWEAKITIS).

As an alternative, I'm going to try (from Market) Temp+CPU V2, Cpu Gauge, and SeePU, which don't affect/control clock settings. Hopefully one of these will allow me to see how stock vs. overclock kernel is actually performing.

Yes, at this point (the last two kernel updates from dalingrin) you should drop any cpu editing apps and just use the settings built into CM7. That's per dalingrin's kernel thread at XDA.

cvhovey

Mar 5, 2011
It is a known issue.* Nothing to worry, just hold power button, turn off and reboot into recovery again.

*for the first time when it happened with me, my heart had stopped beating.

Since it is a known issue, any clue if a fix is in the works? I'm finding CWR 3.0.1.0 to be increasingly annoying since not only does it lock up on every Dalvik wipe, but its now locking up after doing a restore, sometimes after backup, etc. Have tried to reinstall without any improvement. Do despite my liking Phiremod V4.1, am getting close to reverting back to stock and then sticking with rooted 1.0.1 and the "old" CWR to avoid the poorer performance of CWR 3.0.1.0.

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
afaik there is no fix for it.

But I use EXT4 SD card and never faced such issue (May it is a fix ?) Why don't you try if you have a spare SD Card :)

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
A couple questions..

1 - You state in the OP to use CWR 3.0.0.6.. Is that still current? I downloaded it lastnight and I got 3.0.0.5.. Where can I get 3.0.0.6 or whatever is the lastest and greatest?

2 - Can you explain what an "EXT4" card is? I have average, run-of-the-mill mSD cards. Do I need to go buy something specific to make this work?

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
and 3 - MD5 sums... I've seen em, even watched CWR write a few of them.. But what do you do with them?

xfeejayx

Feb 28, 2011
afaik there is no fix for it.

But I use EXT4 SD card and never faced such issue (May it is a fix ?) Why don't you try if you have a spare SD Card :)

3.0.0.6 EXT4 often locks up on me after dalvik. i usually have to go through it three times before i can wipe dalvik without it locking. seems waiting a few seconds after dalvik wipe helps?

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
1. I don't like people getting into trouble and I always write the simplest method. TBH 3.0.1.0 is far superior than 3.0.0.6, but if you get any trouble like struck CWR etc, I wouldn't recommend it. For someone "Nook Color Old" works and for some "Nook Color". But most if the time Nook Color Old works, but people over XDA don't recommend. Because of all this I prefer sd card installation with Bootable CWR 3.0.0.6, because EXT4 + Bootable CWR = Perfect. Though there is a small workaround of creating SD Card EXT4, but I like to invest 5 more minutes, instead of trying, get it to back to work.

2. EXT4 four a type of File Structure. File Structure is a software, part of OS, which handles all files and organizes them. I hope you heard of FAT, FAT32 with earlier version of Windows 98. If you have installed Windows XP, there you get a option to chose, which file structure, FAT32 or NTFS. Like in same way CM nightlies uses latest and better file structures while others with EXT3. But by default we have EXT3 in Nook, and CWR 3.0.0.5 and earlier won't support EXT4. Hence we can either install latest CWR to emmc or use bottable SD card.

3. MD5 is a checksum. Say it is like an acknowledgement. It is a bits of information generated for every file. Suppose while downloading, if bits get lost and the file wouldn't be complete. Hence we have to cross check the MD5 of original file and the file we received.

Still any doubts ? happy to help :)

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
3.0.0.6 EXT4 often locks up on me after dalvik. i usually have to go through it three times before i can wipe dalvik without it locking. seems waiting a few seconds after dalvik wipe helps?
Nope, you better restart the device. It is a known issue with CWR when we perform 'wipe dalvik'

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
1. I don't like people getting into trouble and I always write the simplest method. TBH 3.0.1.0 is far superior than 3.0.0.6, but if you get any trouble like struck CWR etc, I wouldn't recommend it. For someone "Nook Color Old" works and for some "Nook Color". But most if the time Nook Color Old works, but people over XDA don't recommend. Because of all this I prefer sd card installation with Bootable CWR 3.0.0.6, because EXT4 + Bootable CWR = Perfect. Though there is a small workaround of creating SD Card EXT4, but I like to invest 5 more minutes, instead of trying, get it to back to work.

I agree, using a version that is known to work is better than assuming newer versions will work the same way.. So my question remains: Where can I get CWR 3.0.0.6 when the newest thing the market has is 3.0.0.5?

2. EXT4 four a type of File Structure. File Structure is a software, part of OS, which handles all files and organizes them. I hope you heard of FAT, FAT32 with earlier version of Windows 98. If you have installed Windows XP, there you get a option to chose, which file structure, FAT32 or NTFS. Like in same way CM nightlies uses latest and better file structures while others with EXT3. But by default we have EXT3 in Nook, and CWR 3.0.0.5 and earlier won't support EXT4. Hence we can either install latest CWR to emmc or use bottable SD card.

Ok, makes sense.

3. MD5 is a checksum. Say it is like an acknowledgement. It is a bits of information generated for every file. Suppose while downloading, if bits get lost and the file wouldn't be complete. Hence we have to cross check the MD5 of original file and the file we received.

I figured it was a checksum.. What I wanted to know was: How do I use it? What program can verify it? CWR?

Still any doubts ? happy to help :)

The fog is starting to clear a bit..

cvhovey

Mar 5, 2011
Nope, you better restart the device. It is a known issue with CWR when we perform 'wipe dalvik'

I saw this over on XDA and it may work for some to get around the 'wipe dalvik' lockup. The suggestion was:

mounts and storage > unmount cache
back out to main menu (power button)
advanced > wipe dalvik cache > yes

For me that seems to work. An alternate suggestion that seemed to work for a few others was:

advanced > wipe dalvik cache > back out of menu (power button) without click yes
go back to wipe dalvik > click on yes

Of course, YMMV, out of the two suggested workarounds, only the first one worked for me.

Last edited: