[How To] Install CyanogenMod / Phiremod Builds to Internal Storage

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
If you already have CWR 3.0.1.0, then No. You don't need EXT4 SD Card.

mooniegt

Feb 19, 2011
I'm on CM7 v23. I see that they're up to v28 now. I have a couple questions:

1) I swear I saw a post somewhere about updating CM7 builds but I cant find it now. I thought it said something along the lines of not having to wipe everything out and reinstalling the new build and all my apps again... What is the proper procedure to update to the latest build? Am I supposed to wipe both caches, but not format system and data? A step by step on how to upgrade to the latest nightly might be good for the community :)

2) If changing to the latest build will wipeout my apps... do I need the paid version of Ti Backup to have them all reinstall themselves, or can that be done with the freebie? I've switched OS's several times now and every time I just redownload all my apps and install, but that's getting old...

3) I think I saw that there is a new Dalingrin kernel since I loaded up CM7 last Friday. If I want to update this as well, is it correct that I need to go in and wipe both caches?

mooniegt

Feb 19, 2011
One more thing: If I go into Rom Manager and select "Reboot into Recovery" it reboots back in the OS, not into recovery. Is it supposed to do that? If the answer is yes, then I imagine that means I will need to re-write CWR back onto my SD to get into recovery to make a backup?

Detonation

Mar 19, 2011
Hmm well I am getting this error flashing it from CWR on the emmc

assert failed: getprop("ro.product.device") == "encore" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "encore" || getprop("ro.product.board") == "encore"
E:Error in /sdcard/phiremod-nook-V5.1.zip
(Status 7)

Gonna redownload the Zip, sounds like Status 7 in a zip mismatch error. However, let me check I'm doing this right:

CWR 3.0.1.0 previously installed to emmc (using the zip in the How To thread)
Rom Manager > Reboot into recovery
Made Backup
Wipe Cache
Format System
Format Data
Install from zip from Sd

Also, I am getting Can't mount cache:recovery/log errors which I haven't seen before.

Right now I'm restoring back to my Stock 2.1 backup and then I'll start over.

Edit: After flashing back to rooted stock and redownloading, it was successful. Definitely the best rom i've used yet.

Last edited:

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
^glad your are back on CM7 now :)

@mooniegt - I have already added how to update CM7 files in OP, have a look. And yes, it is advised to do a wipe before applying a new kernel.

jinnijinn

Jan 31, 2011
Is there a new OC kernel ? I have been using the 925mhz option built into cm7, but would like something faster if it is out there.

Also, are there release notes for the nightlies that list improvements/issues?

Detonation

Mar 19, 2011
CyanogenMod nightlies changelog for Encore

Dalingrin's kernel will work. I think it is stickied in the forum. I've been reading the cm7 thread at xda and I'm not sure that the oc kernel is faster? A lot people report lower quadrant scores with it?

Quadrant isn't always an accurate representation. See these comments:

I see both a real world improvement and improvement in every other benchmark other than quadrant. I'm leaning toward it being a quadrant issue. It does warant investigation when I get a chance.

I have quadrant advanced.

On CM daily 26 with the stock kernel I hit 1800+ whereas with the OC kernel I couldn't break 1300. Here is why:

@925 mhz with the stock kernel the IO score was around 1100-1200 and the memory score was around 1000+- 50

@1100 on the OC kernel the IO score was about half that at around 620+-30 and the memory was typically in the high 900s, but within a margin of error.

The cpu score on the OC kernel was 20% higher (all scores were after 3 runs).

Something in the OC kernel causes the IO score to be significantly lower. Everything else, 2d/3d/cpu were higher.

I hope that helps.

FatAlbert

Mar 31, 2011
HELP! I think I've bricked my device. I had successfully done the cyagenmod and wanted to switch to phiremod. Whenever I go through the process and reboot, instead of opening in the boot animation, the nook just stays off. I can turn it back on only when the SD Card is in and when the EXT4 is on it.

RASTAVIPER

Feb 21, 2011
Doesnt seem so bad.So relax and try to find the solution.
One suggestion to U: try to wipe cache and then flash some other version of phiremod.
What version did U have before and what now?Also what CWR do U have?Maybe U should upgrade this also to latest version first.

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
Just installed RC4, I am just loving it :)