[HOW TO] Installing the adb and mtp Drivers

FloRider

Dec 2, 2012
I pretty sure the "no unsigned drivers" thing only applies to kernel-mode drivers (but I could be wrong). These are not kernel-mode. Take a look at Anika200's guide for Windows 7... the procedure for Windows 8 should be similar.

Anika has posted an excellent guide for installing Fastboot. I think this is the page mcl mentions:
[HowTo] A2109 Fastboot - Lenovo Community

There is a link early in the post for help installing LeTools.

Edit: read the following post first, though. You should be able to install LeTools without a hitch, it appears. Use the link I posted above to xerse's instructions to install the drivers on Win8.

Last edited:

mcl630

Dec 3, 2012
Looks like I may have been wrong about only requiring signed drivers for kernel-mode drivers, but it looks like Lenovo's LeTools drivers ARE signed, so that shouldn't be a problem.

jim109109

Jan 29, 2013
Thanks for your post. I'm not sure if it's just me but the Lenovo site is a complete maze filled with spelling mistakes. The USB drivers I needed to download were nowhere to be found. I needed the driver you gave for usb debugging. I'm happy to say it now works.

BigFrank100

Feb 4, 2013
Hi all. I'm a bit new on here, but loving all the custom ROMs that some people are providing. Thanks very much.

On a different note, I've had a real problem getting my A2109 to appear in Windows XP explorer. In Win 7, no problems, but XP didn't want to play ball.
Until now, that is, and this is my solution to other people interested and/or having the same problem that I did.

My solution, actually came from the Chinese Lenovo forum:
Firstly : make sure that you're running media player 11
Secondly : make sure that USB debugging is unticked on the tablet
Thirdly : extract the file I've included and plug the tablet in
Fourthly : run the 'install.bat' file, extracted from the supplied .zip. I had to run it twice for Windows to 'accept' it.
It now is identified as a portable media device Ideapad A2109, and I can access the Internal Storage and SD Card direct from explorer.

Thanks for reading this.View attachment $MTP A2109.zip

arbarnhart

Jan 1, 2013
I installed Carbon backup and had to do the adb setup to make it work on my non rooted a2109. I found the posts on the Lenovo forum and didn't have much trouble. The only thing that wasn't obvious at first was switching to camera instead of media on USB connection. Only after doing that did it let me upgrade the driver in Windows 7. Still warned about not being able to verify. It appears this is giving me full backups without root access. It is a funky workaround; there is a warning that if I power the tablet completely off I will have to connect to the PC again to get backups working again, but I don't have to stay connected for it to continue to work.

ardentblue

Mar 20, 2013
Don't forget to turn on adb debugging in Developer options, as well as MTP, if necessary.

This worked without a hitch on 4.1.1 and Win 7 using a micro USB cable. I can see both the "Internal Storage" which is the 16GB of the A2109 and the 4GB of the "SD Card".

Huh, the bluetooth folder on the A2109 is bare, but it might be those are Android files ('nix") and Winduhs does not see them.

Oh, look at the icons on the right end of the taskbar, click on them, a menu box shows up, one item says attached as a usb media device, go into settings, and now I see: Settings> Storage, Connect as Media Device (MTP)

Edit: Oh, I see another way, Settings > Storage, click on the three vertical squares in the upper right corner, $A2109_Options_Symbol.JPG

a little popup menu shows up "USB Computer Connection", two choices, MTP or PTP.

hmm, sez (see www.android.com/filetransfer) oops, that is for Macs only, I think...
For Mac users only. You don't need extra software to connect your Android device to a Windows computer.
https://dl.google.com/dl/androidjumper/mtp/current/androidfiletransfer.dmg

Noting available under Settings > Developer Options > Debugging, if that is where you think "adb debugging". Settings > Storage refers to a Camera (PTP) mode.

Oh, wait, adb is linux...

USB Debugging mode is not enabled just by plugging in the USB cable. Remains greyed out under Developer Options.

Last edited:

mcl630

Dec 3, 2012
You need to enable the Developer Options... turn them on in the top right corner, then check the box to enable USB Debugging. BTW, adb is not just for Linux.