(How To) Installing/Using ClockworkMod, Rom manager, nandroid backup, custom kernels

bratliff

Feb 5, 2011
@Rico I rooted using Autonooter 3.0.. after I updated to 1.1 (my nook was stock out of the box) then loaded CWR to make a clean backup. Then I flashed recovery, rebooted into recovery, cleared everything, ran a backup. Once backup was comeplete I could not get out of CWR.. So I ran the remove script and was all good.

Faceman - interesting thing about the power off. NO I did not the first time. BUT I just flashed the 1.1 kernal and when I cleared Dalvik it locked up. I missed the boot-up sequence to go back into CWR so I waited until full bootup. Then flashed CWR, rebooted into recovery, cleared Cache only... Installed 1.1 kernal, rebooted normally back into rom. Had to fix the touch sensitivity per Rico's tutorial but is great now. Have ran SetCpu got my profiles going etc.. working fine.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
@Rico I rooted using Autonooter 3.0.. after I updated to 1.1 (my nook was stock out of the box) then loaded CWR to make a clean backup. Then I flashed recovery, rebooted into recovery, cleared everything, ran a backup. Once backup was comeplete I could not get out of CWR.. So I ran the remove script and was all good.

Faceman - interesting thing about the power off. NO I did not the first time. BUT I just flashed the 1.1 kernal and when I cleared Dalvik it locked up. I missed the boot-up sequence to go back into CWR so I waited until full bootup. Then flashed CWR, rebooted into recovery, cleared Cache only... Installed 1.1 kernal, rebooted normally back into rom. Had to fix the touch sensitivity per Rico's tutorial but is great now. Have ran SetCpu got my profiles going etc.. working fine.

I am ALMOST positive this is what is causing the issue. When you flash the recovery console via ROM manager, it MUST be turned off, turned on, so that CWR can create it's boot partition properly. If you do what I did (and sounds like you did, press the 'Flash Recovery' button and then pressed the 'reboot into recovery') then CWR is not happy. I was able to fix mine without removing CWR, but everyone that has had issues I believe have failed to do the reboot before trying to boot into Recovery. So far, none have stepped up saying that they did and still got the CWR looping problem.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Well, I will be rooting two NC's over the weekend (my sister's tomorrow night...if she buys it tonight...and an old co-workers on Monday) So I will have them at my disposal to play with and test the theory.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010

Cool, that is exactly what I'm doing now. ....well I may do one or two steps differently. Maybe I'll get the same error. :)

Your correct faceman, he needed to reboot clean before booting to CWR. I updated the OP and highlighted, thanks to Vis for pointing out the update OP suggestion.

update: I'm back to slow "fresh out the box" 1.0.0, on to sideloading 1.1.

Last edited:

rogand

Jan 26, 2011
Wow, thanks everyone for sharing and helping one another. I just read all 19 pages straight, and I'll have to say, it's a lot to absorb.
I'm still at primitive, but reliable rooted 1.0.1 with RomMngr and CWR and Astro and Zeam and TitaniumBackup, and all is smooth so far, but for my purposes, the whole tablet is not too useful without full gmail/contacts working, so I'm going to play with that. Before hand, I definitely want to have everything backed up right, both data, and apps, especially since I have so many apps, a few of which are paid. So, please help save me from myself (since some of this is a bit fuzzy) and push me in the right direction by answering a few of the below questions.
1) what is the best/preferred tool for backing up the whole darn Nook? Pros/cons of various tools?
2) is the target for the backup always the SDCard?
3) I presume whatever tool one restores with has to be on the card, by definition, since the device itself will get wiped (restored to original), but I think I understand that Android 2.1 doesn't support apps on sd card.

So, to some up, the whole proper backup procedure(s) isn't/aren't clear to me, and I'd love to be set straight.

Sidebar: in general, when I wipe or restore (especially if I perhaps hadn't backed up properly) would one have to buy paid apps again?

Thanks.
Roger

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Sidebar: in general, when I wipe or restore (especially if I perhaps hadn't backed up properly) would one have to buy paid apps again?

Thanks.
Roger

No, as long as you continue to use the same account, you can re-download purchased apps.

rogand

Jan 26, 2011
Thanks. That's a warm fuzzy at least. (though it's not yet quite clear to me how/if the market differentiates between my android tablet (NC) and phone.

I just did a back with (I think, again, it's a blur) with RomMngr, though I guess that just backed up the ROM and not any apps or data (right?)

I am now trying one with Titanium (using "Backup all programs and user-data) using batch mode with select-all, that I guess does everything.

Which tool to use initially, and the choice or order on what to use to restore is as of yet, still unclear to me.

rogand

Jan 26, 2011
Perfect, and thanks. Glad I asked, as that's the one backup method that I have, that I hadn't even thought of (naturally, the important one)

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Wow, thanks everyone for sharing and helping one another. I just read all 19 pages straight, and I'll have to say, it's a lot to absorb.
I'm still at primitive, but reliable rooted 1.0.1 with RomMngr and CWR and Astro and Zeam and TitaniumBackup, and all is smooth so far, but for my purposes, the whole tablet is not too useful without full gmail/contacts working, so I'm going to play with that. Before hand, I definitely want to have everything backed up right, both data, and apps, especially since I have so many apps, a few of which are paid. So, please help save me from myself (since some of this is a bit fuzzy) and push me in the right direction by answering a few of the below questions.
1) what is the best/preferred tool for backing up the whole darn Nook? Pros/cons of various tools?
2) is the target for the backup always the SDCard?
3) I presume whatever tool one restores with has to be on the card, by definition, since the device itself will get wiped (restored to original), but I think I understand that Android 2.1 doesn't support apps on sd card.

So, to some up, the whole proper backup procedure(s) isn't/aren't clear to me, and I'd love to be set straight.

Thanks.
Roger

This is the EXACT situation that I am working on... I have been pulling together the 100's of "Restore" "Recover" "Help me I bricked my Nook" threads and trying to come up with a nice and easy step-by-step for backup and recovery of YOUR nook, not just a nook. Will update when I have something to share, but wanted everyone to know they are not alone. :)

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Update and confirmation: CWR and autonooter 3.0 don't play nice together
-Basically if you have used autonooter 3.0 to root B&N update 1.1, then install CWR and preform a full backup in CWR, you WILL get stuck only being able to boot into CWR.

Here are the whats, whys and hows:

What works:
-Installation of CWR
-Installing kernels in CWR
-Installing any zip from SD in CWR
-Booting into CWR (although you get stuck, see below)
-Performing a full backup to SD in CWR
-Performing a full system restore from backed on SD with CWR (although this is sometimes a bad thing, see below)
-Wipe cache partition
-Wipe dalvik cache (will lockup CWR, this is normal)

What doesn't work:
-Booting out of CWR (as said above you will get stuck inside)
-Reboot system in CWR
-Restore from backup of installed CWR + autonooter 3.0 (again will get you stuck)

Why it doesn't work:
-Well it looks like when performing a full system backup in CWR, the boot image gets and becomes corrupt. So when you do a system reboot out of CWR, CWR accesses this corrupt boot.image file, it fails and as a fail safe, boots you back into CWR.

What works to correct this problem:
-Almost nothing, no combination of holding, pressing, power and "n" buttons don't work
-There are a few things you can do:
1. Use CWR removal sip to remove CWR and restore the stock recovery, you will then boot normally: CWR-removal.zip (flash from inside CWR)
2. If you used autonooter 3.0 to root your B&N 1.1, don't install CWR at all.
3. If you used autonooter 3.0 to root your B&N 1.1, and want to install custom kernels, install CWR but never do a full system backup. Use titanium backup or ASTRO to backup your apps.
or my personal fav.
4. Whether you are on B&N software 1.0, 1.0.1 or 1.1, all of them have a stock recovery w/1.0 software. Root with nooter 0.2, or autonooter 2.12.15, install CWR, then flash NookColor_v1.1.0_r2 ROM

note and cool part about running CWR: Now that this little experiment is over, I just used CWR to restore back to my NookColor_v1.1.0_r2 ROM w/ kernel-1100mhz-omap3630.

Last edited:

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
What works:
4. Whether you are on B&N software 1.0, 1.0.1 or 1.1, all of them have a stock recovery w/1.0 software. Root with nooter 0.2, or autonooter 2.12.15, install CWR, then flash NookColor_v1.1.0_r2 ROM

Just to clarify, that it is NOT 1.1.0 and CWR that have issue... it is something with the autonooter and CWR. In plain words:

sideloading the 1.1.0 ROM = no CWR problems

running Autonooter 3.0 then CWR = mentioned CWR problems

Correct?

bratliff

Feb 5, 2011
Just an fyi i restored today and got CW loop. Later today after fixing things i flashed CW then used QUICKBOOT. Rebooted,the went into recovery ran a backup cleared dalvik with no issue, rebooted from clock work when done. With no issues. Your mileage may vary.

suefourmet

Jan 14, 2011
-Basically if you have used autonooter 3.0 to root B&N update 1.1, then install CWR and preform a full backup in CWR, you WILL get stuck only being able to boot into CWR.

Thanks, Rico. That is exactly what I did! I was glad to hear it wasn't just me who kept getting stuck in CWR.

Sue