(How To) Installing/Using ClockworkMod, Rom manager, nandroid backup, custom kernels

johnjaha

Jan 29, 2011
I have rooted my 2nd(first one is working great) NC using autonooter and then updated w/ v1.1.0 r2 zip. It wont boot past "touch the future of reading" after being charged or off for a few hrs. I can boot into CWR and do a system reboot and it will boot every time until time to charge or turned off for a few hrs. I've done a system restore back to a backup before the v1.1.0 r2 and reflashed the update and will it work fine again until the charging or turned off. Any ideas?

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I have rooted my 2nd(first one is working great) NC using autonooter and then updated w/ v1.1.0 r2 zip. It wont boot past "touch the future of reading" after being charged or off for a few hrs. I can boot into CWR and do a system reboot and it will boot every time until time to charge or turned off for a few hrs. I've done a system restore back to a backup before the v1.1.0 r2 and reflashed the update and will it work fine again until the charging or turned off. Any ideas?

That is a bit weird.

A few questions:
-What b&n sw were you on before using ROM?
-What autonooter did you use to root?
-When you restore using your backup of sw before ROM, do you still have this issue?
-Did you reboot once or twice after installing CWR?

Sound like a boot.image issue. I'd first uninstall CWR, see here: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/8526-how-restore-stock-recovery-cwr.html (Your backup images are keep on SD card, so you will still have them). Then live without CWR for a few hours to a day and see if you still have the charge or off boot issue.

If no issues, then we'll know it was just a somewhat bad CWR install. If it doesn't work then we'll know it had nothing to do with CWR and your boot image was somewhat damaged, either by the autonooter process or the CWR install.

johnjaha

Jan 29, 2011
Answers to your ?s
1) I was on 1.0.1
2) Auto-nooter 2.12.25.img
3) after restore to backup sw it works fine.
4) once after install i think.

I will uninstall CWR and let you know results in a day or so.
Thanks for quick response!

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Answers to your ?s
1) I was on 1.0.1
2) Auto-nooter 2.12.25.img
3) after restore to backup sw it works fine.
4) once after install i think.

I will uninstall CWR and let you know results in a day or so.
Thanks for quick response!

Cool, cool np. Hopefully just a small CWR issue which a uninstall/reinstall will fix.

mtswall

Feb 10, 2011
Are you trying to install rom manager apk. Go into nook color tools. Uncheck and recheck allow non market apps a couple times then reboot and try installing apk again.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Awesome info - I was stuck. It didn't occur to uncheck and check a setting that was obviously in the correct position........ Happily past that step and doing my very first backup!!!!!

Cheers, and thanks again for what you do!

mtswall

Feb 10, 2011
Well, this noob's experience.....

I got stuck in the reboot loop after making a backup. I saw something about running a restore, so I am did that - unfortunately, I didn't read the part about special instructions, I just invoked it from the CWR menu. It didn't fix the problem, but as I am still stuck, it didn't make anything worse, apparently. I followed EVERY instruction on the TLP, including rebooting where instruction.

I am now going to try the uninstall of CWR, and see.

UPDATE: Ran the uninstall zip, booted back fine, reinstalled CWR, booted into recovery, booted back to system. Apparently I'm fine. Note the suggestion for multiple reboots, will do next.

I gather that the problem is the backup function, so if I uninstall, and reinstall, I should be able to play around with kernels, etc, as long as I don't do a backup?

I am on BN 1.1, autonooter'd, CWR (without backup) - I see the suggested kernels in the TLP, but I infer that they are for 1.0 or 1.01. Should I be looking for roms for 1.1? froyo? (I really, really, really want to get adobe flash player working)

Last edited:

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Your backup was probably done fine...its the reboot after backup that causes this issue.

If you uninstall CWR (via a bootable SD card) then reflash CWR, reboot normally, you will be able to reboot into recovery and load kernels.

Smaugy

Feb 18, 2011
I want to thank Rico also......glad to see clockwork working.

My history: recently purchased Nook Color and sideloaded 1.1 onto it. Then used autonooter 3.0.0 to root it and add a few things. Then installed Rom Manager and Clockwork Recovery....I thought I followed directions.

Well when I rebooted, got stuck in reboot loop. Reading rest of forum found that I had missed the reboot step. Pulled CWM off and rebooted clean. Reinstalled CWM, rebooted and then rebooted into recovery. Did another backup and then rebooted without clearing any cache.....and lo, it came back up just fine.

Man, now that it looks like I can do CWM and backup....I am happy!

Now off to OC'ing and other things.......

Abb0nz

Dec 31, 2010
A quick question that I think I know the answer to... When I do the back up using CWR I presume the backup includes applications I've brought myself? In this case the 2011 F1 application ($30). I'd hate to see it disappear as the wife will shoot me :eek:

Feb 20, 2011
Hi everyone,

Just recently got involved in rooting of Android and such. Got an NC recently and Autonootered a week or so ago. Due to time constraints I just now started to really play around with it.

Anyhow, I was in the process of rebooting after installing the 1GHz kernel and setting the setCPU app to the new speed when my NC went **** on me. I can't seem to boot properly. The NC hangs on the boot screen where the 'color' is scrolling the rainbow colors. I've tried holding both power and 'n' keys to reboot into the CWM system, but to no avail. It simply reboots as if I wasn't holding the 'n' key.

Any ideas guys? I'd much appreciate the help. After getting Zeam installed and starting to really customize my Nook, I was having a blast. Hopefully I can continue to do so!

Thanks and cheers,
Atticus

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Booting into CWR requires you hold the power + n buttons for 7-8 seconds then release. Once back into CWR, wipe both caches and reflash the stock kernel which you should have on your sd card. Reboot system in CWR, boot normally. Once back to normal you can boot into CWR and try an oc kernel again.

Feb 20, 2011
And of course, after I try it for the nth time, as soon as you post it works flawlessly. There seems to be a trick to the amount of time you hold the power and n key. I was releasing as soon as I saw the nook booting up.

Thanks much rico,
Atticus

Feb 20, 2011
Aaaand, now the stock kernel isn't helping. Re-flashed the stock from within CWR, rebooted and I'm still stuck on the scrolling 'color' screen. Any more ideas guys?

Thanks,
Atticus