(How To) Installing/Using ClockworkMod, Rom manager, nandroid backup, custom kernels

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Aaaand, now the stock kernel isn't helping. Re-flashed the stock from within CWR, rebooted and I'm still stuck on the scrolling 'color' screen. Any more ideas guys?

Thanks,
Atticus

Are you booting with any sort of sd card in the device? Maybe you have some left over boot stuff on the card. You could try booting without any card in and see if it gets all the way through.

A2Nook

Feb 22, 2011
I have rooted my 2nd(first one is working great) NC using autonooter and then updated w/ v1.1.0 r2 zip. It wont boot past "touch the future of reading" after being charged or off for a few hrs. I can boot into CWR and do a system reboot and it will boot every time until time to charge or turned off for a few hrs. I've done a system restore back to a backup before the v1.1.0 r2 and reflashed the update and will it work fine again until the charging or turned off. Any ideas?

I'm having a very similar problem. I've read through hundreds of threads here and on XDA and this is the first time I've found someone with such a similar problem as mine. I started with a stock 1.0.1 Nook --> Autonooter 2.12.25-->Sideloaded V1.1.0_r2. Everything works great except that after the Nook has been turned off for an hour or more it boots into the "Touch the future of reading" screen indefinitely. I have to hit the power button + n button and boot into CWR and choose "Reboot now" from CWR before it boots into the OS.

I haven't tried restoring to the 1.0.1 ROM backup I made before sideloading 1.1 to see if it goes away, and I only rebooted once after installing CWR. I'll try removing CWR to see if it helps.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
I'm having a very similar problem. I've read through hundreds of threads here and on XDA and this is the first time I've found someone with such a similar problem as mine. I started with a stock 1.0.1 Nook --> Autonooter 2.12.25-->Sideloaded V1.1.0_r2. Everything works great except that after the Nook has been turned off for an hour or more it boots into the "Touch the future of reading" screen indefinitely. I have to hit the power button + n button and boot into CWR and choose "Reboot now" from CWR before it boots into the OS.

I haven't tried restoring to the 1.0.1 ROM backup I made before sideloading 1.1 to see if it goes away, and I only rebooted once after installing CWR. I'll try removing CWR to see if it helps.

Did you do the 8 interrupts>erase and deregister> reregister...before sideloading the 1.1 update and re-rooting using autonooter 3? or are you using the 1.1pre-rooted Rom?

sleibow

Nov 28, 2010
I followed theses direction to the letter and was successful on the very first try, thank you Rico your instructions were incredible and the pictures!!

I started with the 950mhz kernel, everything is fine, if I want to incrementally raise the bar to 1000mhz then to 1.1 shall I just pick up the procedure from the flash point???

Thanks again

A2Nook

Feb 22, 2011
Did you do the 8 interrupts>erase and deregister> reregister...before sideloading the 1.1 update and re-rooting using autonooter 3? or are you using the 1.1pre-rooted Rom?

No. I started with a clean Nook out of the box with 1.0.1. I then rooted it using autonooter 2.12.25. From there I just sideloaded a V1.1 that was pre-rooted and configured to be easily flashable via Clockwork Recovery (from XDA: [ROM] Nook Color V1.1.0_r2 [01/29/2011] - xda-developers)

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I followed theses direction to the letter and was successful on the very first try, thank you Rico your instructions were incredible and the pictures!!

I started with the 950mhz kernel, everything is fine, if I want to incrementally raise the bar to 1000mhz then to 1.1 shall I just pick up the procedure from the flash point???

Thanks again

Yes just flash the 1.1 kernel and once back booted, set your max in setcpu to 975, 1G, 1050 or whatever you want. This is why instructions call for you to copy all of the kernels over to root of you sd card, so you can have the option to flash from one to another while you are in CWR. Remember to wipe both caches before each flash.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Remember to wipe both caches before each flash.

Wipe your cache before you flash...there is just something wrong in that statement.

Back on point...remember not to be deterred by the occasional lock up after flashing the dalvik cache...I believe the cache is flashed then the lockup occurs, so you should be okay.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
No. I started with a clean Nook out of the box with 1.0.1. I then rooted it using autonooter 2.12.25. From there I just sideloaded a V1.1 that was pre-rooted and configured to be easily flashable via Clockwork Recovery (from XDA: [ROM] Nook Color V1.1.0_r2 [01/29/2011] - xda-developers)

Well it looks like you did everything right. I am not sure why it is doing that. Is there something running in background while nook is off maybe that would max your processor, Idk. Wish I could b of more help with your conflict.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

A2Nook

Feb 22, 2011
Well it looks like you did everything right. I am not sure why it is doing that. Is there something running in background while nook is off maybe that would max your processor, Idk. Wish I could b of more help with your conflict.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

So far removing CWR seems to have worked. I've sent it through all of the conditions that normally causes the boot hang, and they don't seem to be causing a problem. The final test wil be leaving it off over night. I'll report back tomorrow. If this does turn out to work, should I try re-flashing CWR though ROM manager?

A2Nook

Feb 22, 2011
So far removing CWR seems to have worked. I've sent it through all of the conditions that normally causes the boot hang, and they don't seem to be causing a problem. The final test wil be leaving it off over night. I'll report back tomorrow. If this does turn out to work, should I try re-flashing CWR though ROM manager?

The overnight test worked too. I'll go for a few days without CWR and then try reinstalling it.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
The overnight test worked too. I'll go for a few days without CWR and then try reinstalling it.

Yea from what I hear, CWR is kind of buggy with 1.1. It works well with an autonootered 1.0.1 NC or phiremod beta2 rom if you want to try those. I have run both and it works fine with those.

johntee

Jan 30, 2011

I'm having a similar issue, but with a Nook that I'm trying to revert to stock (in an attempt to be able to register it with BN, or possibly exchange it with them as defective).
I followed Darmeen's steps at http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/8114-how-uninstall-clockwork-recovery-revert-stock-image.html and loaded up with nook-complete-restore-1.0.1.zip image.
Formatted system and data, and at Samuelhaff's suggestion, also cache. Then did the formats one more time, to be sure.
I rebooted a few times to be sure, got the BN introductory video each time (although didn't get audio at the first reboot; it came on at the second reboot (and thereafter)).
Each time I try to follow the BN registration process, I get a "Error. Sorry we're having trouble setting up your NOOKcolor. Please shutdown the device and try again. If the trouble persists, contact Customer Support at 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665)" message when I enter my BN account.

I've done (at various times of resetting this, but before this most recent wipe) the "n"+Power reset, the "n"+Power+VolumeUp reset, and long ago I reset Cache and Delvik cache.

I redid the wipe the other day so I could try to register it at the BN store's network (as the 800-THE-BOOK tech support wanted, before they'd consider exchanging it as defective), I didn't even try to register it after that latest revert. I just powered it down, and the next day when I powered up at the BN store, it was stuck at the "Touch the future" screen. (So obviously I couldn't show it to the staff then...)

Why did it change from one power-down to the next boot-up, overnight? How can I be assured of it staying at the factory long enough to demonstrate for BN that it won't register? (You know they're going to power-down and up multiple times as they try.)
Thanks!

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Well...if you wiped the /system and data and reinstalled the complete restore image, then you have no worries about them finding anything other than a factory system.

A2Nook

Feb 22, 2011
Well...if you wiped the /system and data and reinstalled the complete restore image, then you have no worries about them finding anything other than a factory system.

Exactly. You can just tell customer support that the Nook had a problem and it reset itself after 8 reboots. After that it wouldn't let you re-register and after an over-night power-down it now hangs at the "Touch the future of reading" screen. They'll have to exchange it.