(How To) Installing/Using ClockworkMod, Rom manager, nandroid backup, custom kernels

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
OK done. Followed the instructions above doing the flash clockwork recovery from within ROM mgr, rebooted, from ROM mgr rebooted into recovery, installed zip from sd card, selected reboot from CWR menu and am now back in NC as usual. No problems. I do notice that in ROM mgr is still says ClockwordMod is 3.0.0.5 still but recall that is a known issue. Is there anyway to confirm anywhere else? Should I try and reboot into recovery again and not do anything other than reboot back to NC to confirm I am not stuck in any CWR loop and confirm all appears to be well? Guess it wouldn't hurt to try that first.

From here I guess I'll be able pick up in the OP at making a nondroid backup, but if I am missing anything let me know. Again, thanks a lot to all of you, great help, good instructions, and quick feedback, even for us new guys. It is much appreciated.

You are spot on. If you are running any ext3 based ROM, CWR reports that it is still v3.0.0.5 for some reason. And if/when you are running an ext4 based rom it reports v3.0.1.0.

Do a back up, and make sure all is well.

surfmly29

Mar 16, 2011
All is well, backup worked and I was able to reboot without issues. So the flash of the CWR while being in CWR worked just fine, thanks again for pointing me in that direction (thanks to all those that pointed me that way).

Follow-up question. Is this the correct kernel to play with if I am on a rooted stock NC?
update-eclair-dalingrin-OC-emmc-022511.zip (for android 2.1 ran off internal memory)

EDIT: I am running stock 1.1 autonooter 3.0 in case that info is needed as well.

Last edited:

cocomo59

Mar 17, 2011
Could someone please help this tech challenged lady? I was trying to do a nandroid backup of autonooter it said "backup complete". I did system reboot and it just brought me back to CWR. Have I done something wrong? Gave I missed a step somewhere? Am I going to have to go back to my NC stock?

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Could someone please help this tech challenged lady? I was trying to do a nandroid backup of autonooter it said "backup complete". I did system reboot and it just brought me back to CWR. Have I done something wrong? Gave I missed a step somewhere? Am I going to have to go back to my NC stock?

If you are using CWM recovery 3.0.0.5 and you rooted with autonooter 3.0, you must update the CWM recovery to 3.0.1. See OP.

-Take you sd card out
-copy the cwmr3.0.1 zip to sd card using a card reader
-reinsert the sd card into NC
-boot to CWM recovery
-install zip from sd card
-pick CWM_3.0.1 zip
-press yes
-once done reboot

New ClockworkMod 3.0.1.0 version: http://muffinworld.net/android/nookc...mr_3.0.1.0.zip

cocomo59

Mar 17, 2011
TY rico2001! Do I need to remove the sd card before I reboot? I have in in my nook waiting for your answer.

surfmly29

Mar 16, 2011
Update for me, I got my question answered in another thread. The proper OC kernel I want is the one for eclair as I mentioned above. Just wanted to close the loop on that. Cheers!

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
All is well, backup worked and I was able to reboot without issues. So the flash of the CWR while being in CWR worked just fine, thanks again for pointing me in that direction (thanks to all those that pointed me that way).

Follow-up question. Is this the correct kernel to play with if I am on a rooted stock NC?
update-eclair-dalingrin-OC-emmc-022511.zip (for android 2.1 ran off internal memory)

EDIT: I am running stock 1.1 autonooter 3.0 in case that info is needed as well.

Update for me, I got my question answered in another thread. The proper OC kernel I want is the one for eclair as I mentioned above. Just wanted to close the loop on that. Cheers!

Yup, Eclair is Android 2.1 and that's what the B&N stock is based around. And it is running from your internal memory (eMMC) so that would be the proper kernel. So you want the kernel that lists 'Eclair' and 'eMMC' with the latest date. ;)

I fixed it rico, thanks again for your help.

Welcome to the rooted world, and glad you're up and running!

andork22

Mar 17, 2011
To all the recent posters:
Thanks so much for your input. It just so happens I was experiencing this as well, and so far everything has worked. Im going to attempt what surf has done so far with the attempting to backup in the newly flashed CRW, and hopefully I should find it working and me be able to reboot back into the normal (rooted) NC screen without bootlooping into oblivion. I'll report back when I have confirmation.

surfmly29

Mar 16, 2011
To all the recent posters:
Thanks so much for your input. It just so happens I was experiencing this as well, and so far everything has worked. Im going to attempt what surf has done so far with the attempting to backup in the newly flashed CRW, and hopefully I should find it working and me be able to reboot back into the normal (rooted) NC screen without bootlooping into oblivion. I'll report back when I have confirmation.

Good luck and if you get into trouble, the OP and (I think more importantly) the last few pages of the thread have a lot of great guys telling us all how to get out of the situation and get up and running. As you saw it all worked for me and now I am running 1.1 ghz as well. These NC's are bombproof it appears :)

cocomo59

Mar 17, 2011
Tech challenged lady here again. First I am sorry for the questions, I guess I need complete step by step instructions. When I update to froyo, do I do it the exact same way I did with autonooter? Do I follow the same instructions? I am wanting to install internally. I thought that I read somewhere that I don't?? unzip the Froyo file and I can't find instructions that I understand. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I am on information overload today. So, I am not doing any upgrading until I completely understand what I am doing.

BTW, My autonooter is running great.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
No you don't flash roms the same way you rooted your NC, they are entirely different subjects and procedures.

Depends on which froyo you are talking about on how to install. If you which to install a custom rom internally, you first need to update your CWM recovery to 3.0.1 (shown in opening post). Then all you need to do is copy the rom.zip file to the root directory of your SD card and use CWM recovery to flash the rom.

More detail:
-update your CWM recovery to 3.0.1, copy the cwmr3.0.1.zip to root of sd card, boot to CWM recovery, then flash the zip, reboot
-Copy the "rom you wish".zip to the root of your sd card
-Boot into CWM recovery
-Make a full backup, again see opening post of this thread
-Once backed up, main menu of CWMR, wipe data (if it locks up, just power down then hold power + n together for 8 seconds to boot back into CWMR)
-Now from main menu CWMR, "install zip from sd", pick your "rom you wish".zip file
-Press yes, then flash process will begin.
-Reboot once done
-Enjoy

If you wish to go back to your backup, boot back to CWMR, wipe data again, then go to backup/restore and restore from your backup you made.

cocomo59

Mar 17, 2011
Thank you ricco. This helps, but I do have 2 more questions... do I need to make my SD card a bootable CWR/Recovery to the size of my card? I know silly question, just being cautious. If so, this is why this tech challenged lady can't get froyo to work. Also where might I find what the main files are that should be( if there is one) on my nand backup of autonooter, just want to be sure I am backed up.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
cocomo, as long as you are using an image that is equal to or smaller than the size of your card it won't matter (just don't use one bigger than your card). From the instructions in the original post:

-Once booted and back to Home screen, open your favorite file browser
-Make you way to your SD card: folder /clockworkmod/backup/(date of backup)
-Check to see if you have files files: boot image, cache image, date image, nandroid check file, and system image.
note: Usually you will also see a recovery.img (image) file, which is the file that holds the backup for the recovery utility itself. You will see this files with most custom ROM packages

cocomo59

Mar 17, 2011
Thank you! I see everything under backup but recovery.img. Should that be under backup or somewhere else?