(How To) Installing/Using ClockworkMod, Rom manager, nandroid backup, custom kernels

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Thank you ricco. This helps, but I do have 2 more questions... do I need to make my SD card a bootable CWR/Recovery to the size of my card? I know silly question, just being cautious. If so, this is why this tech challenged lady can't get froyo to work. Also where might I find what the main files are that should be( if there is one) on my nand backup of autonooter, just want to be sure I am backed up.

It would help to know your status of you Nook Color. Have you installed CWM rom manger or recovery. What autonooter did you use? Which b&n software version are you on?

You questions are silly at all. You will need a sd card inserted to your NC if you with to install CWMR and make backups, again see OP.
No you don't need a sd bootable CWMR for installing/flashing any of the froyo roms internally to your NC.
Your third question is answered in the opening 2 posts.

A few notes:
autonooter is a flash utility that only roots the Nook Color, it does not make backups
Root(ing): This is simply giving the user (you) administrative rights to the operating system of the device. A basic root of the NC will appear the same as it did before you started, but you have the ability to change system level things now.
NAND/nand: Common term that refers to a Nandroid Backup, which is the name of the backup CWMR makes you when it performs a full backup, which is kept on your inserted sd card.

It would be good for you to start off reading this thread:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...color-now-what-aka-complete-idiots-guide.html

Btw, which froyo rom do you plan on trying?

Hmm I'm really starting to wonder if anyone reads the first post of this thread.

edit: well I see you must have a installed sd card and looks like you performed a backup.

Last edited:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Not a problem, if anyone doesn't understand something, feel free to ask. I only get tired of questions that are in the first post of the thread asked in, that's all. I'm not extremely techie when it comes to the NC and I'm learning as we go, save as you. I do my best to answer all questions that have some knowledge in, as simply and clear as I can.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
I know you get tired of people asking the same questions over and over. Some people apparently aren't as tech inclined as you. I have read www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-faq/9879-intro-so-you-bought-nookcolor-now-what-aka-complete-idiots-guide.html, that is how I got my NC rooted. I am running 1.1 so I downloaded 3.0.0. Some times all this tech information just doesn't make since to some of us.

So to be clear, you followed my Intro thread and rooted your 1.1 B&N NC with the 3.0.0 Autonooter, is that correct?

If so, then you still need to install ROM Manager (found in the Market). Flash ClockworkMod Recovery in ROM Manager (make sure you turn your NC off and then back on using the power button before doing anything after flashing). Then download the flashable CWRv3.0.1.0 file (here) and put that on your Sd card, and 'Reboot into Recovery' from ROM Manager and install the CWRv3.0.1.0 zip file from CWR.

If all of that sounded like too, much, there are other threads that detail that process (like this one) and the ones pertaining to the new CWR.

cocomo59

Mar 17, 2011
Faceman, thanks for all of that information, Yes I have already completed all of that, I think Monday. It runs great. I have been backing up for the last 3 nights. I wanted to try a Froyo rom, not sure why if I am happy with the autonooter, maybe because everyone else is. But for some reason my brain isn't connecting with the instructions. I will keep reading maybe I can figure it out. When I downloaded the autonooter, I thought it said 3.0.0 at the top of the page but when I look on the cpu I have running, it says 2.1.1a autodetect. So I guess I am wrong about the rom I am using.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Faceman, thanks for all of that information, Yes I have already completed all of that, I think Monday. It runs great. I have been backing up for the last 3 nights. I wanted to try a Froyo rom, not sure why if I am happy with the autonooter, maybe because everyone else is. But for some reason my brain isn't connecting with the instructions. I will keep reading maybe I can figure it out. When I downloaded the autonooter, I thought it said 3.0.0 at the top of the page but when I look on the cpu I have running, it says 2.1.1a autodetect. So I guess I am wrong about the rom I am using.

No, you are not wrong... you used "Autonooter version 3.0.0" which was made to auto root "B&N Stock OS 1.1.0" which is a custom build of "Android 2.1.1a"

Now if you read that too fast your head will spin... but take it in slow and realize the three layers that are there. :) Anything Android 2.1 is referred to as "Eclair" and 2.2 is "Froyo" and 2.3 is "Gingerbread" and 3.0 is "Honeycomb". B&N has had three minor updates to their software (1.0.0, 1.0.1, and 1.1.0) which were all incremental updates but stayed on the Eclair version of Android. Because there were three B&N version there have been three Autonooter versions. Why the first two were 2.12.15 and 2.12.25 I have no idea, but version 3.0.0 was the third one made for the 1.1.0 from B&N. Got it? ;)

OK, regardless, you are now past all of that. You have a correctly installed CWR v3.01.0 it sounds like and have been able to successfully create a backup. So you really should feel pretty safe to move forward if you want to. The biggest thing to remember is that if you don't like the direction you go you can backup by restoring a backup. Do you have a separate SD card that has the bootable CWR v3.0.1.0 on it?

cocomo59

Mar 17, 2011
Yes, I have a backup... I have all of the files that J515OP mentioned on the previous under backup, but, the recovery .img isn't listed under the backup, it is all by it's self. Actually is just says 3.0.1.0. Is that the way it should read?

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Yes, I have a backup... I have all of the files that J515OP mentioned on the previous under backup, but, the recovery .img isn't listed under the backup, it is all by it's self. Actually is just says 3.0.1.0. Is that the way it should read?

Where (and why) are you looking for the "recovery.img"? I am not sure what you are looking at when you say it just says 3.0.1.0 either.

When CWR creates a backup, it stores the backup on the SD card and should look like this:
$cwr_backup_example.jpg

Is this what you are talking about?

Hubman

Mar 2, 2011
Hi , Do you still select Nook Color (old ) when rom manager asks which Nook you have when trying to flash ClockworkRecovery Mod as the op states in instructions.
Looking to install the latest rom phiremod nook V5.1

Last edited:

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Hi , Do you still select Nook Color (old ) when rom manager asks which Nook you have when trying to flash ClockworkRecovery Mod as the op states in instructions.
Looking to install the latest rom phiremod nook V5.1
No don't use Nook Color(old).

Hubman

Mar 2, 2011

Thanks for the clarification , Maybe the original op could change that in his instructions.

Update; Okay , I went with Nook Color , would not allow me to make a backup . Got image would not mount message. I needed to download the 3.0.1 zip file from muffin . Then copy and pasted the zip file to my sd card . Rebooted . open rom manager . Found my way to the zip file on my sd card and installed . Now everything is working .

Last edited:

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011

This is not indisputable yet...

Thanks for the clarification , Maybe the original op could change that in his instructions.

It's still there because the majority of user are running the non-ext4 roms (CM7, Phiremod, UD) and as such they usually have to select the (old) device in order for CWR to mount /system properly.

The real answer here is to not use the (old) device unless you try to do a backup in CWR and get mounting errors. If you do get the error, just reboot back to the system and open ROM Manager and 'Flash CWR' again and this time select the (old) device. We have not yet ultimately solved this mystery of who needs which device.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
I guess after all the arguing elsewhere the issue had been closed. ;-0. Thanks for the clarification Face.

mdetreville

Mar 20, 2011
I managed to miss the important step after flashing CWM where I was supposed to have powered off/rebooted. I went straight to making a backup. When it finished, my nook now boots into CWM Recovery only. What can I do to fix this?