(How To) Installing/Using ClockworkMod, Rom manager, nandroid backup, custom kernels

johntee

Jan 30, 2011
The renaming to Update.zip didn't change anything, but when I turned Wifi on, it flashed successfully... Took me longer to type in the network password!! : )
Thanks for the instant response, Rico...

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Great, glad to hear it. Yea I didn't think the rename would work, but I know the wifi on works. And just in case you are wondering, CWR, can be removed if needed and the stock recovery restored.

johntee

Jan 30, 2011
Is it anything to worry about that 2 of the status messages were:
No /sdcard/.android_secure found. Skipping backup of applications on external storage.
and
No sd-ext found. Skipping backup of sd-ext.
?

Should I delete CWR now, or leave it for future use? If I don't overclock it, is CWR needed at all?

Last edited:

johntee

Jan 30, 2011
And is it any concern that I don't see a recovery.img file in the Backup directory? (I used ROM Manager and ClockworkMod Recovery, as instructed.)

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
No /sdcard/.android_secure found. Skipping backup of applications on external storage.
and
?

Should I delete CWR now, or leave it for future use? If I don't overclock it, is CWR needed at all?

The backup is made to a sdcard. You need to have a sdcard in your device. It is always good to have a backup and if you want to install a rom or kernel in the future you will need a custom recovery like clockwork.

Sent from my Droid

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
and
?

No, nope and no.

.android_secure folder and sd-ext are used when moving apps over to SD card (apps2sd). You will get the folder on your sd card when we go to android 2.2 or a custom 2.1 rom allows from apps2sd. With apps2sd, you can partition a part of your sd for applications to be stored and that partition would be called sd-ext. Again we are not currently using either one of these features and folders.

Leave CWR on your device, you need it to do backup and restores if needed and flash all roms, themes, keyboards, and kernels. It don't not bother you as it's just a recovery program that replaced the stock one you had to start with. You can remove it, with a zip file, if you need to restore the stock recovery.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
And is it any concern that I don't see a recovery.img file in the Backup directory? (I used ROM Manager and ClockworkMod Recovery, as instructed.)

Make sure you read everything in a tutorial.

-Once booted and back to Home screen, open your favorite file browser
-Make you way to your SD card: folder /clockworkmod/backup/(date of backup)
-Check to see if you have files files: boot image, cache image, date image, nandroid check file, and system image.
note: Usually you will also see a recovery.img (image) file, which is the file that holds the backup for the recovery utility itself. You will see this files with most custom ROM packages.

johntee

Jan 30, 2011
Hi Steve. I did have an SD card in the Nook during the backup (and the resulting backup files are on the SD). I don't have any apps stored on the SD card though; everything's stored internally. Would that explain those 2 messages during backup?

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Hi Steve. I did have an SD card in the Nook during the backup (and the resulting backup files are on the SD). I don't have any apps stored on the SD card though; everything's stored internally. Would that explain those 2 messages during backup?

Sorry i didn't read it correct before. Yes Rico is correct. Was for apps2sd. If you have the five files on your sdcard/clockwork/backup should be all set with your backup.

sent from my rooted nook color

CZeph

Jan 27, 2011
Using ROM Manager to do a backup, wipe partition and wipe Dalvik Cache, I'm stuck at the Advanced and Debugging Menu. Is there a button combo (or something) to get me past this point? Maybe if I let the power run down on its own - it was at 80% when I started. Help, please.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Using ROM Manager to do a backup, wipe partition and wipe Dalvik Cache, I'm stuck at the Advanced and Debugging Menu. Is there a button combo (or something) to get me past this point? Maybe if I let the power run down on its own - it was at 80% when I started. Help, please.

Are u stuck in recovery menu? Power button will not bring you back to main menu?

Sent from my Droid

johntee

Jan 30, 2011
Make sure you read everything in a tutorial.
lol, I did. :) that's why I asked if not seeing the recovery.img file was any concern, since I had used the 2 specific processes that were in the directions.
Since you said you usually would see one, and I didn't, I figured I'd ask... (Possibly because it said "Note:" it made it seem possibly important if it were missing...

Thank you for your help!! It updated to 1.1.0 fine, although I did just now experience a couple of freezes, and I just lost my main background page and icons. Only a greyed-out left-facing u-turn arrow button now, and the 6 softkeys on the bottom. Immediately prior to that the main page app icons disappeared and were replaced by 2 B&N book images. Then that disappeared and the greyed-out icons took its place, and the whole thing froze. No response to "n" button. It even ignored the graceful Power Off close request. I had to hold power button down longer to force a shut-down.

And just now got a "Sorry, Activity SoftKeys (in application SoftKeys) is not responding. grrr...

CZeph

Jan 27, 2011
I'm not sure. Make sure u r plugged into charger then hold n and power button to see if it forces a restart.

Sent from my Droid

That did it. Thanks and YOU DA MAN! Or, the man sitting next to da man!