(How To) Installing/Using ClockworkMod, Rom manager, nandroid backup, custom kernels

ramothgold

Oct 26, 2011
Thank you so much. I looked everywhere to find a fix for these errors and found it here thank you rico2001 you kept me from banging my head against a wall too much.

Keep Moving Forward,
ramothgold

Mr.Macke

Dec 4, 2011
I was in clockwork recovery and was in the process of installing CM7 and google apps. My micro SD card failed after I wiped the three items on my nook and I was not able to install CM7 or Google Apps. So now when I turn it on "read forever" comes on then the big "n" and thats it. How do I get back to clockwork recovery and install CM7 and google apps. Please help.

Karibes

Feb 5, 2012
Hello,

I would like to wipe all caches, but problem is that I have 1.4.1 android version. Will this bring any troubles?

P.s Which rom would be good for me? And I want a kernel 1.1Ghz, so... :D Thanks for hints

Thanks

Last edited:

patruns

Jun 4, 2011
Hello,

I would like to wipe all caches, but problem is that I have 1.4.1 android version. Will this bring any troubles?

P.s Which rom would be good for me? And I want a kernel 1.1Ghz, so... :D Thanks for hints

Thanks

Karibes, can you please try to stay in one post with your question/issue? It makes it difficult to follow when you are all over the place. Thanks! ;)

Karibes

Feb 5, 2012
Yo,

First of all, I want to root NC with other ROMs(but currently do not know which ROM would be good, because I want stable and also please suggest stable kernel with highest overclocking for stable ROM), but I noticed that I have latest version of NC 1.4.1 and I'm wondering if it will make any troubles with rooting better android.

Second question, I want to save original if it is really possible unless there is a ROM that also has some reading software like B&N and to have dual boot with new ROM and original B&N.

I hope I didn't ask difficult question. If yes then please bear it for me a little :D

Thanks and take care, Karibes

patruns

Jun 4, 2011
Based on your desires, it would appear you want to experiment with another ROM on a bootable SD card while leaving the stock ROM in the internal eMMC intact. For now, I would suggest CM7 7.1 stable for the card. You can set it up so that if you hold down the "n" while powering on you can choose to boot from the card or the stock ROM. CM9 (Ice Cream Sandwich) is still in the development stages so I would not recommend that for you at present. Read completely through this thread for instructions: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/13156-how-cm7-bootable-sd.html

Karibes

Feb 5, 2012
Yo,

thanks for fast answering and I was able to boot CW7 with mSD. Now I'm experiencing battery issue. It somehow doesn't acquire battery data because sometimes it doesn't recharge to max and whenever I reboot suddenly battery life is down... Also it slowly recharges and another issue is that whenever I plug cabel to recharge, I lose control on NC while screen is on. If I let it to sleep, everything is fine. But it is different with computer. When I plug to NC from computer, everything is fine. So I do not know what problem lies with recharging from normal plug.

Take care, Karibes

helene_r

Feb 12, 2013
And am unable to get past the step where I boot into CWM. I flashed CWM using the ROM manager, but when I ask the NC to boot into recovery it starts, then tells me the BN stock operating system was detected, the sd card is already formatted, and it shuts down. What am I missing?

Thanks,
Helene

Guide: Installing/Using ClockworkMod, Rom manager, nandroid backup, custom kernels

READ WHOLE POST BEFORE PROCEEDING! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Installing ROM Manager and ClockworkMod Recovery

-Open Market app, search for "rom manager"
-Install latest version of Clockworkmod rom manager app
-Once installed, go to app draw and open Rom Manger
-When installing ROM manager, the SuperUser app will ask permission to proceed with install.
-Check remember and then hit the allow button

c2d4628c.png

-Once installed, open ROM Manager
-Press "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery"
bedd3e4d.png

-Rom manager will then flash your NC with the CWR image (newest version 3.0.2.8)
-Once complete you will see the following: "Successfully flashed..."
-Next reboot or power off your Nook Color **Very Important**
aa5ab532.png

Performing a Nandroid backup (full system backup)
-Make sure you have an install SD card and you have enough free space available on the SD card as you are using in internal storage your your NC.
-Open ROM manager and hit reboot to recovery
-A pop up will ask if you want to reboot into recovery, press OK.
-Your NC will reboot and boot into ClockworkMod Recovery
(You can also get into CWR at bootup by holding the power button and "n" button at the same time for 5 seconds.)
bedd3e4d.png

7517bb29.png

-Once in CWR, use volume up and down buttons to scroll up and down the menu list
-Scroll down to "backup and restore"
-Press "n" button to enter or go to nex sub-menu
-Press "backup" to start the nandroid backup process
tip: the power buttom act as a back button in CWR
IMAG0219.jpg

IMAG0214.jpg

IMAG0216.jpg

-The backup will take about 10-15 minutes, depending on how much information is being backed up.
-Once complete, you will be brought back to the main menu and it will read "Backup complete!"
-Now scroll up or down to "reboot system now" and press "n" to execute.
IMAG0218.jpg

-Once booted and back to Home screen, open your favorite file browser
-Make you way to your SD card: folder /clockworkmod/backup/(date of backup)
-Check to see if you have files files: boot image, cache image, date image, nandroid check file, and system image.
note: Usually you will also see a recovery.img (image) file, which is the file that holds the backup for the recovery utility itself. You will see this files with most custom ROM packages.
4ac7ca13.png

Now that you install CWR and performed a full system backup, you are, for the most part :), safe and free to explore and experience more rewarding (sometimes risky) Android themes, kernels, tweaks and custom ROMs.

Flashing a new kernel using ClockworkMod Recovery
-Download stock and custom kernels zip files:

My Files
update-eclair-dalingrin-OC-emmc-022511.zip (for android 2.1 ran off internal memory)
update-eclair-dalingrin-OC-sd-022511.zip (for android 2.1 ran off SD card)
update-Froyo_CM7-dalingrin-OC-emmc-022511.zip (for android 2.2 & 2.3 ran off internal memory)
update-Froyo_CM7-dalingrin-OC-sd-022511.zip (for android 2.2 or 2.3 ran off SD card)
update-HC-dalingrin-OC-emmc-022511.zip (for android 3.0 ran off internal memory)
update-HC-dalingrin-OC-sd-022511.zip (for android 3.0 ran off SD card)

kernel-stock.zip stock 1.0.1 (for android 2.1 ran off internal memory)

**Pay attention and download the appropriate kernel for your operating system**

-Copy zip files to the root directory of your sd card.
-Open your favorite file browser and make sure all (5) files are on root sd card.

note: A kernel as in reference to Android is a linux based core system which controls services such as security, memory management, process management, network stacks, and hardware driver control. Therefore the kernel, controls the parameters at which the cpu gets it's clock speed, limits, and voltage.
487c4998.png

-Open ROM manager and hit reboot to recovery
-A pop up will ask if you want to reboot into recovery, press OK.
-Your NC will reboot and boot insto ClockworkMod Recovery
(You can also get into CWR at bootup by holding the power button and "n" button at the same time
for 5 seconds.)
bedd3e4d.png

7517bb29.png

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
And am unable to get past the step where I boot into CWM. I flashed CWM using the ROM manager, but when I ask the NC to boot into recovery it starts, then tells me the BN stock operating system was detected, the sd card is already formatted, and it shuts down. What am I missing?

Thanks,
Helene

What version of ClockWork Mod Recovery are you trying to flash?