[How To] Manually Update SYNET7LP/SYTABEX7 to Android 2.2 "Froyo"

john_tartar

May 3, 2011
Many thanks for the help and offer,, but I think for the time being, I'm going with "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

I am reasonably happy with mine as it is, I've installed quite a few applications, and the upgrade doesn't seem to offer any huge benefits to me. Particularly since the upgrade, doesn't seem to fix the problem of the easy Wifi upgrade process. Now, should I run into some of the problems others have, then I'll try the upgrade.

petedude

Mar 9, 2011
Had two of these tablets at one point on which I ran the updates. The first was actually a returned unit CVS had put back on the shelf, which I liked but touchscreen typing + lockups drove me bananas. The second I found new at another CVS and got the 25% off on (yippee!!).

The first one claimed to be a SYTABEX7. I didn't root it and get the hardware rev before updating-- I just downloaded a bunch of the firmwares and tried one. Worked MUCH better, but kept saying HDMI was connected. . . even though the unit didn't have HDMI. That one went back (it came to me scratched, etc. anyway).

The second-- got the right hardware rev firmware, and it was already faster but HAULED after the update. Only problem (labeled SYTABLP7 but has no HDMI, hardware 11.2.1.5 if memory serves) is that the power button no longer shuts down the device. I'm hoping to get something like Quick Boot, but without a real Android Market that could be difficult. . .

jpmi23

May 3, 2011
Just wanted to drop in and say thank you for this guide. Being that I'm on W7 the program wouldn't see my SD card, but using the OTG port worked flawlessly! Running DG2.20 as we speak with LauncherPro and just about everything else from my gtablet side loaded. Gonna see what Flash I can get next.

Thanks guys! You all made this a nice little tablet, and much more portable than a 10.1"!

epeereboom

Dec 19, 2010
Have you tried reconnecting through otg again? If you can, I'd try to reflash with one of the other update files. I'm far from an expert, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Sent from my p7901a using Tapatalk

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Since then the tab won't boot at all. Is this the end of this tab? Any help will be appreciated.

Sorry to read about your current situation. Can you confirm the "hwver" of the device identified in Step 1 of http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...date-synet7lp-sytabex7-android-2-2-froyo.html? Was it 11.2.1.8? It has been reported that loading 11.2.1.8 on another "hwver" device has bricked a device before. There haven't been any reports of the "hwver" for the Disgo version of the device so not a lot of information has been posted but back in post #27 there was some success.

Last edited:

giveen

Jan 11, 2011
Can't emphasis it enough for people to not do the .8 firmware unless it matches your hardware ID.

I'm hoping if I get a job, perhaps for Christmas I will get a gTab or a Nook Color

jpmi23

May 3, 2011
Can't emphasis it enough for people to not do the .8 firmware unless it matches your hardware ID.

I'm hoping if I get a job, perhaps for Christmas I will get a gTab or a Nook Color

Go gtablet man. It's a stellar device (had one since they first got released). And... They're working on Honeycomb for it!

kamikaze

May 11, 2011
I have been down for months and this worked. I used the boot sd method and it worked 1st try.

Using a microSD card OR from computer using USB cable and OTG Port

The following process will manually update the SYNET7LP/SYTABEX7 or Disgo 6000 to Digital Gadgets version of Android 2.2 "Froyo".

Digital Gadgets version of Android 2.2 "Froyo" is identified as "Android version" "DG2.20" in the "Settings" application on the "About device" screen.

View attachment 1997

Overview of the update process -
The manual update process requires identifying the hardware version of the tablet, once that is accomplished the proper update file can be downloaded. A utility needs to be download and unpacked to burn the update file either to a microSD card or burn using a USB cable connected to the OTG Port.

In the the microSD card method, the card is then inserted in the tablet and powered on which will then burn the update image.
Upon completion the microSD card is removed, and the "Reset button" is pushed.

The OTG process requires loading the appropriate computer drivers to recognize the device so the utility can burn the update to the connected device.

The tablet can then be turned on and the system will boot with the new version of Android OS.

If none of this makes sense start here - Resources for the SYNET7LP/SYTABEX7/Disgo 6000.

Ask questions, suggest revisions, offer better methods. Everyone here is learning and willing to assist.

Requirements: microSD card 2 GB or greater or a USB cable using the supplied adapter, moderate computer skills, knowledge of "adb" (Android Debug Bridge) commands or a Terminal Emulator application.

Note: Creation of the update microSD card has been accomplished using XP and Vista 64bit OS. Attempts to create the update SD with Win7 64bit FAILED, however there is SUCCESS in updating using Alternate Step 4a: "Update from computer using USB cable and OTG Port" detailed in Post #2.

Note: Users that had previously reported getting a "No recovery image is found, try recover from SD" when attempting a "Factory Reset" (three finger method) once updated to 2.2 can Apply a factory reset - (step by step with pictures.

Warning:
Use this information at your own risk. It is being provided by users of the device NOT the manufacturer/distributor. Several tablets have been successfully updated without any issues.

Do Not Proceed without understanding the process and moderate computer skills needed to complete the update.

Currently known not to work -
- OTG port does not allow mount of SD card on computer after the update. The update maybe missing UdiskMountService.apk. If you want to move files from your computer to the SD card using the miniUSB to USB cable, DO NOT UPDATE until a solution has been identified.
*This DOES NOT affect external devices using the HOST port - mouse, keyboard, etc. or USB drives connected to the Host port are recognized.

Work In Progress -
- Google Experience (Market, Talk, etc.) except for GMail. If you're hooked on Market for applications DO NOT UPDATE or find an alternative (SlideME - Sam 4.0, Amazon Market, GetJar, etc.) http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-market-2-2-sylvania-disco-work-progress.html

Step 1: Hardware version identification either using adb or a Terminal Emulator application

Alternate Step 1) Terminal Emulator method to determine "hwver" without root access - Post #47

adb Method) Using "adb" query the device with this command - adb shell cat /proc/cmdline

Code:
C:\>adb shell cat /proc/cmdline
console=ttySAC3,115200 androidboot.mode=normal bmagic=0xeef07901 hwver=11.2.0.6
Note the "hwver=##.#.#.#" for your devices as several have been identified (11.2.0.6, 11.2.1.5, 11.2.1.8).

Using this information the proper update file (*.ius) can be downloaded.

Note: The incorrect update file (*.ius) CANNOT be burned to the device, so if you can't determine the "hwver" attempting to burn with the identified update files below will be hit or miss.

Step 2: Download the appropriate update file

"hwver" specific update files (if available) can be found by substituting the identified "hwver" in the get command below.

Insert the numbers ##.#.#.# "hwver=" returned in Step 1 after "data=" in the example url below. Paste this string in a browser session to identify what update is being downloaded.

Example -http : / / 222.73.93.45/sysup.php?data=##.#.#.#&vcode=0

Using 11.2.0.6 as an example - Enter this address -
Code:
http://222.73.93.45/sysup.php?data=11.2.0.6&vcode=0
Currently Returns -
Code:
12|http://222.73.93.45/update/11.2.0.6/11.2.0.6.2.0_beta3.ius
Download the update file identified the url above returns and note the location the file is save on your computer for use in Step 3.

Note: The "vcode=" is also a variable in the get command which is checking "ro.versioncode" (adb shell getprop ro.versioncode). At this time it seems to have no affect on the link returned. After updating to DG2.20 version code changes to "10".

Note: In some cases the get command no longer provides the link to the update file, however the most recent files are in this post.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/sylvania-tablets/12785-infotm-update-wrap-files-bin-ius.html

NOTE: Disgo 6000 tablets using these files will be updated to DG2.20, thus the Sylvania boot animation will appear and all future updates will be from DG/infoTM.

Step 3: Download "InfoTM Update Wrap Tool" and instructions

IUW Version 1.0
iuw1.1-english.rar

Unrar the "iuw1.1-english.rar" (InfoTM Update Wrap Tool & documents)

There are two Word documents included.

Step 4a: Using USB cable & OTG port - see post #2 below.
or
Step 4:
microSD card Follow process "2. Burning by SD card" detailed in "Introduction of IUW burning-20110118.docx".

a) Start "IUW.exe" which may be located in the "iuw1.1-english" folder created when the rar file was unpacked.

In the "Paths:" section "Choose a wrapped image:" by clicking on the ". . ." button

b) Select the *.ius file downloaded in Step 2. "Choose an SD drive:" by clicking the drop down arrow
c) Select microSD card. (See Note below)

"Wrap Information:" should populate with something like this or like in the picture below.

Code:
Company: error
Board:    error
FileNum: 11.2.0.6.2.0
Size:    64 MB

Image List:
U0 (246 KB)
RD (173 KB)
LK (2376 KB)
ADD_USER (4.5 KB)
ADD_AS (62934.5 KB)
View attachment 1998
d) Click "Burn"

Note: Some OS's (Win 7) see the SD card but the IUW tool won't, try using XP or Vista 64 bit which have been confirmed to work. Also, some cards may need to have all partitions wiped leaving the card Unallocated in order to be seen by the IUW tool.

If old partition needs to be deleted here are some basic instructions.

e) Upon "Burn Completed!", with tablet "Off" insert the microSD card in the tablet SD Card Slot.

View attachment 1996

f) Turn Device On - Press the power button on the back of the device to turn on.

Upon completion of the update burn process the tablet will display "Take off SD and reboot."
If anyone can catch a video of the burn process that could be informational.

g) Remove the microSD card

h) Press the "Reset button" on the back of the device using the tip of the stylus.

i) The tablet can now be turned on and the system will boot with the new version of Android OS.

View attachment 1999

Note: The initial boot will be slow. The animated "Sylvania" splash screen will take longer to cycle through but after a few boots it seems to load faster.

To make the SD card usable again, delete all partitions from the microSD card using the basic instructions quoted above. It can then be formatted once inserted in the tablet.

Post your experience so others may benefit by your experience.

Here are some getting started - http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...resources-synet7lp-sytabex7-disgo-6000-a.html.

Thank you to everyone who assisted in providing insight to these methods.

Jv90

Apr 23, 2011
Pls, can someone over here write a little easy procedure to do the upgrade on my tablet?? its the miniexpress and it didnt come with the hdmi connector; i managed to do the otg connection with my pc on win7, but i was stuck when the prog asked me the hwre of my tablet, how can i find this?? it is a tricky process but i think that would be worth it...

jpmi23

May 3, 2011
Pls, can someone over here write a little easy procedure to do the upgrade on my tablet?? its the miniexpress and it didnt come with the hdmi connector; i managed to do the otg connection with my pc on win7, but i was stuck when the prog asked me the hwre of my tablet, how can i find this?? it is a tricky process but i think that would be worth it...

Step 1: Hardware version identification either using adb or a Terminal Emulator application

Alternate Step 1) Terminal Emulator method to determine "hwver" without root access - Post #47

john_tartar

May 3, 2011
Aren't all Mini Tablet express versions SYTABEX7 hwver 11.2.1.5

BTW, now that I have upgraded, the hwver is listed on the "About Device" page, but the model number still shows SYNET7LP