(How-to) Move Books to the Internal Library (root required)

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I may be on to something. I found where Calibre can generate a cover and it will create a jpeg to go along with the book. The jpeg is a seperate file and Calibre will load both the epub and pic. Now when the book show up in the NC library, the NC used it's generic cover, which I don't mind and is kind of what I wanted it to do with my books.

Here are few more illustrations:

Untitled28.png

Untitled27.png

Original and modified book, same generic preview (loaded to two different location on the NC)
d3c75ae5.png

You can see the "books" section will preview books in either internal locations (/b&n downloads/books, /media/myfiles and system/media/books)

485f8243.png

a8e1c26b.png

Last edited:

majakat

Dec 29, 2010
Calibre will also download the covers if it has enough infomation about the book - i added isbn to a couple without covers and now have the correct cover, which is nice!

tigersgt

Dec 9, 2010
Step 4 mentioned to turn off the write access to the folder. Can we just leave the write access on so that we don't have to turn it on each time?

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I think it's a personal choice. Here's a message (i.e., fire, brimstone, etc.) from nookdevs:

NookColor Making system partition Read-Write - nookDevs

Warning: If you make the system partition re-writable, there is nothing preventing you from bricking your devices. The community does not currently have a re-flash utility to restore your NookColor to baseline condition.
Make backups, be careful, and whatever you do is entirely at your own risk.
-Matt

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I would imagine leaving it r/o may cause errors so why take the chance. Its only take a second to make the change r/w r/o change anyway.

ucpro

Dec 28, 2010
The stock NC reader can't open .mpb (kindle book format), so moving it to the internal library folder would not help. It would be best to convert the mpb to epub or pdf, but at this time, I couldn't tell you how. So far the Kindle app works just fine so for now I'm content on leaving well enough alone.

On the plus side, I'm currently using Calibre to convert all my pdf books to epub for internal NC loading. :)

whoa i didn't realize i never subscribed to this thread, so i'm just now seeing what u said lol. yea i'm pretty content with just using the kindle app, but for some reason when i'm not connected to wifi, it won't let my wife read the book because it wants to resync all the time, which of course it fails. I use calibre also, but trying to read a book converted from pdf to epub made the epub reader run painfully slow to the point i had to FC

majakat

Dec 29, 2010
Another choice if you use calibre - buy the calibre andoid app for 1.99 - then you can choose the download location, and set it to media/My Files/Books and it will get added to your barnes and noble library automatically -( have to reboot to show up tho)

illdill

Jan 8, 2011
edit, I originally had problems, fixed it. Thanks, by the way the sites i was talking about are, search.4shared.com and filetube.com

Last edited: